Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
overall - 8 (7 above in each)
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
Hello Guys,

I have applied for my wife's application and have also sent the passport. We did not change her last name as it takes a long time in India to get a new passport. Now can anyone tell me how can we get the name changed ones she gets here.

I also wanted to ask that what all things do they get filled when you land here for the first time. If my memory serves me correct, they fill out PR card application only. Now what i want to ask is that can she write her changed last name in that application so that the PR card has the new name. I read somewhere that the Marrige certificate helps.

What do you guys suggest ?

spaceraceone

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
aybee said:
Hello Guys,

I have applied for my wife's application and have also sent the passport. We did not change her last name as it takes a long time in India to get a new passport. Now can anyone tell me how can we get the name changed ones she gets here.

I also wanted to ask that what all things do they get filled when you land here for the first time. If my memory serves me correct, they fill out PR card application only. Now what i want to ask is that can she write her changed last name in that application so that the PR card has the new name. I read somewhere that the Marrige certificate helps.

Why don't you guys go through that lastname change AFTER your spouse lands?
You can change your wife's passport at the Indian consulate in Canada. And by that time she should already have gotted the PR card, some sort of health plan card etc, so there won't be any issues with sitting around without any ID's at all.

I would definitely land with the name that has been appearing on your applications - wait for one process to end before starting a new one.

aybee

Nov 2, 2009
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
Ok, this means i can get the last name changed in the Indian passport. but what about the PR card, Health card, Sin card and the Bank account. these all need the CoPR and the CoPR would have her old last name.

spaceraceone

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
aybee said:
Ok, this means i can get the last name changed in the Indian passport. but what about the PR card, Health card, Sin card and the Bank account. these all need the CoPR and the CoPR would have her old last name.
cic site says:

Your Record of Landing or your Confirmation of Permanent Residence is not an identity document. Therefore, it will not be amended to correct personal information which changed after the date permanent residence was granted, such as:

legal name change
name change after marriage or divorce

So you will not change it - but at the moment of landing it has to match your passport, immigrant visa, and a pr card. and all the application papers.

I think,(and someone can correct me) that you would have to receive a PR card - then apply for a new one because you want one with a new lastname, and once you have it use it to update all the other cards you need for canada.

I know that all documents have to match because when I was landing my passport had only 6 months laft and I was worried that I would need to renew it (and it would have a different number then) and I was told that if all my papers have that particular passport listed then this is the passport I have to arrive with.

spaceraceone

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
aybee said:
I think you actually can go for name change during the process but before the entree visa and that paper for landing is issued. Just make an update on the application - I do not know however how much longer it can throw your application back.

But in Canada, lastnames change all the time - a fee and a couple of weeks of wait - that's all. At least you'd be doing all that while being in Canada.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
aybee said:
Hello Guys,

Don't worry about changing the passport or PR card. For your SIN and health card and DL, take the marriage licence with you/her, and say I am married to so and so, his last name is such and such, I want my married name on my SIN/HC/DL etc. As long as she has the licence and a birth certificate (or something like that, showing what her birth name is) it shouldn't be a problem.

Whenever she uses her passport/PR card, just have a copy of the marriage licence with it.

aybee

Nov 2, 2009
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-October-2009
IELTS Request
LANDED..........
5-July-2010
parker24 said:
Don't worry about changing the passport or PR card. For your SIN and health card and DL, take the marriage licence with you/her, and say I am married to so and so, his last name is such and such, I want my married name on my SIN/HC/DL etc. As long as she has the licence and a birth certificate (or something like that, showing what her birth name is) it shouldn't be a problem.

Whenever she uses her passport/PR card, just have a copy of the marriage licence with it.
thanks guys,

I'll do as said above. but is there a way to change the name in the PR card as well. I know passport name can be changed, if i go to the consulate.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
aybee said:
thanks guys,

I'll do as said above. but is there a way to change the name in the PR card as well. I know passport name can be changed, if i go to the consulate.
I believe you contact CIC-Sydney in Nova Scotia OR talk to the consulate.