+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing college in Canada

XBOX7

Star Member
Oct 19, 2011
For changing college in Canada;

Is it mandatory that the new program should be of same duration and also of same level. like if I initially got admission for 2 year "Graduate Certificate Postgraduate" then the new course also should be "Graduate Certificate Postgraduate" for 2 years?

In which case one should inform CHC for changing course? And what if someone fails to inform, what is the impact?

Are there any good colleges in Alberta that offer Graduate Certificate Postgraduate in Business Management for 2 years? I could not find any.

I am very keen in studying in Calgary as I have my close frends settled there( my living expenses will be almost nill) and also good job opportunities.

I was planning to get admission in Humber College for 2 year Global Management in order to get Visa first and later change to Bow Valley or some other college in Alberta\Calgary for Diploma Program after reaching there as I couldnt find any Graduate CertificatePostgraduate program. Is that possible?

Thanks!

xenoboy

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I called one year ago with the same question

They told me that as long as I continued in the same level of studies there was no reason to notify them about the change (from a post. graduate certificate to another post. graduate certificate, or from one master to another master, and so on)

But if I you change from a post. graduate certificate (for example), to a undergraduate lever or a higher level of degree, yes you will need to let CIC know about the change

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/study/index.asp

From the above FAQ was found this question and answer:

I am already in Canada and have a valid study permit. I would like to change my school or program of studies. What do I need to do to modify my study permit?

If you are changing schools and/or your program of study but remain at the same level (e.g., secondary level), you do not need to modify your study permit.

However, if for example you are a student at the primary school level and you are moving on to secondary school, or if you are a secondary school student and you are moving on to post-secondary studies, or if you are moving from post-secondary studies to secondary studies, you need to submit an application to modify your study permit at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

XBOX7

Star Member
Oct 19, 2011
Thank you guys for the response.

Are there any complications along with it. I mean are there any chances of rejection or any negative impact for my future PR profile.

What reason one could give for changing from Graduate Certificate Postgraduate to Diploma. I know it sounds odd and unusual, as I am degrading my level of studies, but i have personal reasons along with benifits in Aberta PNP program.

As I have asked earlier also, need help in getting below info that will help me to get out of this situation.

Are there any good colleges in Alberta that offer Graduate Certificate Postgraduate in Business Management for 2 years? I could not find any.

Thanks!

P

pjsa23

but in case a person wants to change his course from a PG Diploma to a Masters in a university, what would be the procedure in that case ?

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
So in either of the cases mentioned the change needs to be reported to CIC because the course of study is not at the same level and would require a visa amendment.

As far as affect on future PR applications this would depend on whether the course of study and all other criteria meets the requirements for CEC or Alberta's PNP.

You've probably read the criteria for Alberta, but if not here is the link:

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrating/ainp.aspx

You are a recent graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution and have a permanent, full-time job offer from an Alberta employer in a skilled occupation (NOC 0, A, B)

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigration/immigrating/ainp.aspx

Clearly show in the application that you are able to and intend to live permanently in Alberta.
Have obtained a diploma, degree, or have completed a graduate level program from a publicly funded community college, trade/technical school or university in Alberta or Canada, or at a private institution in Alberta authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
AINP approved Alberta public and private post-secondary institutions.
Have graduated from a Canadian educational program that was a minimum of two years in length at the undergraduate level or a minimum of one year at the graduate level.
Have a current and valid post-graduation work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Show that your job with your Alberta Employer is related to your field of study in Alberta or Canada.
Have six months of full-time work experience with the same Alberta Employer on a post-graduation work permit before you apply with the Alberta Employer to the AINP.
Supervisors, foremen and tradespeople, working in an occupation designated as a Compulsory or Optional Trade in Alberta (including Chefs, Cooks, and Line Cooks) are no longer eligible to apply under the Employer-Driven Stream and must apply under the Strategic Recruitment Stream, Compulsory and Optional Trades Category.

Meeting the criteria listed above does not guarantee a nomination or permanent residence.

The last line with emphasis added is noteworthy for any of the programs CEC/PNP - there are no guarantees of PR status. The final decision is always made through CIC for any program - at least for the present.

XBOX7

Star Member
Oct 19, 2011
Thank you NBaker for all the details......

I have been through these links having info abt PNP programs and understands one needs to match with the PNP requirements.

What my doubt here is, will there be ny negative impact at the time of filing for a PR only because I moved to a diploma from Post Graduate Certificate or when compared with other ppl who stick to their program or moved to a better level?

Also what reason could I give to CIC for doing such thing?( personal reasons wont justify the cause)

Thanks!!1

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
It is really impossible to say whether such a move would have any impact on a PR application in the current climate. When the time arrives for you to make that application who knows what the priorities may be. Provided all other things are in order the application on a whole would be looked at to determine if the criteria at the time the application is made is met and nothing is amiss otherwise in your immigration history.

As far as rational for changing the important thing to remember is what benefit you bring to Canada. That is the primary reason for considering the individual under the programs you are looking at. So if you personally don't bring something of benefit to Canada for whatever reason - filling the appropriate job at the given time etc., etc. then you don't really merit selection.

As you say personal reasons don't account for the reason - each individual must do something of benefit to Canada.

Nish555

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Well I too am in the same boat but I want to know if I change from a 2 year PG Cert to 2 year PG diploma is it ok? Or are the levels different?

Isnt a PG Cert and PG Diploma at the same educational level in Canada?