+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changes to Immigration Regs affecting spousal/cl/cp applications expected soon.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
i do not mean to offend.
but i think that because its societal norm to be married as its the only way to show commitment that got people to perceive that common law cannot be committed just as married people. That is a wrong perception.
Both can be equally committed. It depends on the perception of the persons involved.
For instance, there are some that marry for marrying sake (expected blah blah) and there are some that are in common law relationships because they are commitment phobes (always have an entrance to leave).
But if we were clear our minds of all the societal bull*censored word*, commitment would be seen in the same light for both. Any feelings of inadequacy of not having a ring on the finger is purely because of all the brain washing that marriage is a must.

That being said, there are many species out there that mate for life...I don't think any one ever seen them having a marriage ceremony. Marriage is purely man made. Just like all the societal norms.

So. there is no difference in commitment in either. AND both now have equal rights under the law so common laws don't have that 'escape' route per se.

i can see how CIC looks at it differently because in having measurements of a genuine relationship they have to use societal norms to determine genuine relationships. which however is changing rapidly and i think CIC has recognised that.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
That's exactly the thing though.. many of us don't see marriage as 'man made'. It's a big part of our religious beliefs.

Also.. I guess this might just be me, but I've yet to meet any 'common law' people who are at the level of a marriage. One or both of them sleep around, they say they would get married but want to collect welfare as single mothers, they say they don't know if they are committed to the other person enough to get married but somehow they are committed enough to have multiple children... I just personally don't see it. As I said, if it works for other people, whatever.. but people don't need to judge me because it doesn't work for me.

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
Well, the arguement can (and you can be sure it will) be made that anyone married or not can sleep around with multiple partners. This is a worldly issue not just a common law couple issue.

I agree with sbwv09 that people should be married to live together and have a life long relationship. This is a personal choice and decision for me. I do not condemn anyone that makes another choice. This is a personal choice that you have to make for yourself. My problem is that someone is trying to tell us that if we make this choice of marriage that we should not be applying so quickly after we are married because it is suspicious?? That to me does not make sense.

Personally I don't care when someone applies as long as the relationship is truly genuine then it does not matter to me the timeline. It all comes down to the issue of genuiness of the relationship. It is a matter of integrity. If you have a real true relationship with someone then who am I to say how quickly you apply? It is the people that are in marriages of convenience merely to obtain a visa to enter Canada that I have an issue with.. not timing.

Yaya Marei

Aug 25, 2010
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
1/8/2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 2010
Med's Request
1l7 2011
Med's Done....
3/7 /2011
Interview........
28/6/2011
Passport Req..
17/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
21/8/2011
LANDED..........
31/8 /2011 Insallah
HoneyBird said:
i do not mean to offend.
but i think that because its societal norm to be married as its the only way to show commitment that got people to perceive that common law cannot be committed just as married people. That is a wrong perception.
Both can be equally committed. It depends on the perception of the persons involved.
For instance, there are some that marry for marrying sake (expected blah blah) and there are some that are in common law relationships because they are commitment phobes (always have an entrance to leave).
But if we were clear our minds of all the societal bull*censored word*, commitment would be seen in the same light for both. Any feelings of inadequacy of not having a ring on the finger is purely because of all the brain washing that marriage is a must.

That being said, there are many species out there that mate for life...I don't think any one ever seen them having a marriage ceremony. Marriage is purely man made. Just like all the societal norms.

So. there is no difference in commitment in either. AND both now have equal rights under the law so common laws don't have that 'escape' route per se.

i can see how CIC looks at it differently because in having measurements of a genuine relationship they have to use societal norms to determine genuine relationships. which however is changing rapidly and i think CIC has recognised that.
I am sorry but they are not the same, if it the same why they did not get married.
they just do not want to be, because common law give both space todate others and to take off anytime, but married more deep.
this is my opinion,

and God knows the best

MexiCana

Star Member
Mar 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
AOR Received.
11-06-2010
File Transfer...
17-05-2010
Med's Done....
17-02-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2011
LANDED..........
22-02-2011
sbwv09 said:
That's exactly the thing though.. many of us don't see marriage as 'man made'. It's a big part of our religious beliefs.

Also.. I guess this might just be me, but I've yet to meet any 'common law' people who are at the level of a marriage. One or both of them sleep around, they say they would get married but want to collect welfare as single mothers, they say they don't know if they are committed to the other person enough to get married but somehow they are committed enough to have multiple children... I just personally don't see it. As I said, if it works for other people, whatever.. but people don't need to judge me because it doesn't work for me.
You're speaking out of both sides of your mouth. You state some very offensive things about common law folks (couching it in terms of '"It might just be me or the people I've met" is mere sophistry) on the one hand and then ask not to be judged for your own choices on the other.

MexiCana

Star Member
Mar 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
AOR Received.
11-06-2010
File Transfer...
17-05-2010
Med's Done....
17-02-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2011
LANDED..........
22-02-2011
Yaya Marei said:
I am sorry but they are not the same, if it the same why they did not get married.
they just do not want to be, because common law give both space todate others and to take off anytime, but married more deep.
this is my opinion,

and God knows the best
In my case, I was not able to marry because I had an abusive ex-husband who stalled my divorce proceedings as a final means of exercising control over me. Since you have the hubris to speak for God, perhaps you can tell me what God thinks about that.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
Yaya Marei said:
this is my opinion,

and God knows the best
some people do not belong to any religion. and therefore they dont see the need to do a marriage? its that simple?

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
sbwv09 said:

Sorry but i could not help but laugh at this statement. Most of the married couples I know are sleeping around. In fact lots of times when i got out, its the married men that are 'hitting' on me. So this generalization is not true!!!!!!!!

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
dair2dv8103100 said:
Well, the arguement can (and you can be sure it will) be made that anyone married or not can sleep around with multiple partners. This is a worldly issue not just a common law couple issue.

I agree with sbwv09 that people should be married to live together and have a life long relationship. Again this is religion and religion is man made. Its societal norm to be married. But not doing so does not make you a worse person or less committed!This is a personal choice and decision for me. I do not condemn anyone that makes another choice. This is a personal choice that you have to make for yourself. My problem is that someone is trying to tell us that if we make this choice of marriage that we should not be applying so quickly after we are married because it is suspicious?? That to me does not make sense.

S

SaugaBoss

i rather be in the US hands down... but my husband loves Canada! so going to canada for him not because i think its better bc in my opinion i like the US and think its cheaper

but now this makes me wonder y i have not recvd word since July 29 my AOr... maybe bc i had a traditional pakistani wedding and they are wondering what this girl wants to do in Canada hmm.... but we had over 250 people at our wedding and 4 events and app full of pics, and our marriage was not arranged at all :( hate stupid people who come to another country and lie that they love someone when they dont... bc of them a lot of us are sufferingggggggg all of them should be deported :)

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
If they don't belong to a religion that's fine, but don't come in here saying that those who are married shortly before applying for PR should be looked at with skepticism.

I say I don't judge them because I never say a word.. I would have never said a word about it on here either until people came in here judging me by my timeline and marriage! I didn't start this but I'm not taking it lying down. I'm sorry if those things offended the live in people but I was just explaining that that is all I have ever seen live in couples do both at home and in Canada. I feel that explaining that would help them see why I believe that marriage is the true binding relationship and why I wouldn't apply for PR otherwise. Therefore, they don't need to think that 'quick' (in their eyes) marriages are suspicious.

And if you believe in a religion, you obviously don't believe that it is man made. I don't worship human beings.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
until people came in here judging me by my timeline and marriage! I didn't start this but I'm not taking it lying down. I'm sorry if those things offended the live in people but I was just explaining that that is all I have ever seen live in couples do both at home and in Canada. I feel that explaining that would help them see why I believe that marriage is the true binding relationship and why I wouldn't apply for PR otherwise. Therefore, they don't need to think that 'quick' (in their eyes) marriages are suspicious.

okay i dont know what this is all about. i was not critizing your marriage time line.Just the point of the common law vs marriage commitment.

there is no need to defend yourself to anyone about your marriage timeline. i myself did the application a few weeks after my wedding. i don't think people are really criticizing you about your timeline...if so its laughable and silly that they would do such.

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
@ Honeybird

I said... IT IS A PERSONAL CHOICE... this includes whether you view marriage as sacred or just as a societal "norm".

I also stated that the marriage and common law debate here is not my issue it is whether the relationship is true and genuine, no matter whether married or not! Thus creating the issue with changes in government policies for spousal sponsorship.

The frustration is not about whether you think people should get married or not....it is about relationships of convenience that are used to get entrance into Canada based on lies and false pretenses making our relationships which are based on actual true relationships scrutinized more and more.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Honeybird, that's where all of this came from. Some members posted that it is suspicous that people applied for PR shortly after marriage and that everyone just needed to apply as conjugal or common law first and then get married later. I was trying to explain that not everyone thinks it's ok to live together before they are married. Then other people began to chime in with things like marriage is just a piece of paper, that it's not part of their culture to be married before living together so it was hard for them to understand why I would marry and then apply for PR (which is news to me here in North America!), etc.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.