+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change university and course in existing study permit?

architgarg

Aug 25, 2023
Hello folks, Can I change the university and course applied in my study permit, since I've deferred the intake, I thought I could apply for better universities this fall

My visa is still in progress

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello folks, Can I change the university and course applied in my study permit, since I've deferred the intake, I thought I could apply for better universities this fall

My visa is still in progress
You can if you have admission to another school. So submit LOA through webform. If processed with current school then you cannot change it. Sometimes people send a webform with new LOA and school but in the meantime, get approved for original school. Then they have to a) apply for a new study permit or b) come to Canada and study at school on permit for a semester and then change schools. If changing make sure it is an equivalent program.

architgarg

Aug 25, 2023
You can if you have admission to another school. So submit LOA through webform. If processed with current school then you cannot change it. Sometimes people send a webform with new LOA and school but in the meantime, get approved for original school. Then they have to a) apply for a new study permit or b) come to Canada and study at school on permit for a semester and then change schools. If changing make sure it is an equivalent program.
oh that's tricky

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
oh that's tricky
What type of degree are you applying for and when were you planning on starting? There is no point in coming to Canada until you get admission and study permit to attend the better school. Unless you are willing to attend a whole semester at the other school and then transfer. Too many people were changing schools and programs when arriving in Canada (typically to much easier programs) so the rules changes a few years ago.

architgarg

Aug 25, 2023
What type of degree are you applying for and when were you planning on starting? There is no point in coming to Canada until you get admission and study permit to attend the better school. Unless you are willing to attend a whole semester at the other school and then transfer. Too many people were changing schools and programs when arriving in Canada (typically to much easier programs) so the rules changes a few years ago.
I'm willing to change my university before coming to Canada so that everyone is sorted

I'm applying for fall universities, I already applied for the visa for fall intake but I'm looking for better universities (top-ranked)

Since now the visa application decision is in progress, I can upload the new LOA but if it gets approved with the previous LOA, can then I change it?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm willing to change my university before coming to Canada so that everyone is sorted

I'm applying for fall universities, I already applied for the visa for fall intake but I'm looking for better universities (top-ranked)

Since now the visa application decision is in progress, I can upload the new LOA but if it gets approved with the previous LOA, can then I change it?
If if gets approved with your current school, you cannot change it. You will need to apply for a new study permit. That is why if your application has been in process for a few months, you need new LOA ASAP.

If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance. You must also pay all the fees for the new application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

architgarg

Aug 25, 2023
If if gets approved with your current school, you cannot change it. You will need to apply for a new study permit. That is why if your application has been in process for a few months, you need new LOA ASAP.

If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance. You must also pay all the fees for the new application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html
Hey thanks @Naturgrl that really did help, Appreciate that!

Need to collect more GIC I guess :)