+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change status within Canada

marcosanderson

Apr 21, 2018
Hello, all,

I have been searching around, but the posts I found were old or not exactly my situation.

Well, I am in Canada as a worker, with a Working Holiday Visa, however I wanted to stay longer, but as a student.
Does anyone know if I just need to apply for a student visa, or I should get a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?
I'm asking that because I never applied for a visa inside Canada.

Also, after I apply, suppose my current visa expire, should I leave the country, or wait until the process ends?

Thanks in advance.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, all,

I have been searching around, but the posts I found were old or not exactly my situation.

Well, I am in Canada as a worker, with a Working Holiday Visa, however I wanted to stay longer, but as a student.
Does anyone know if I just need to apply for a student visa, or I should get a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)?
I'm asking that because I never applied for a visa inside Canada.

Also, after I apply, suppose my current visa expire, should I leave the country, or wait until the process ends?

Thanks in advance.
Hi

You need to apply for a study permit. If you apply before your current work permit expires, you will have Implied Status allowing you to stay in Canada. However, you need to stop working when your work permit expires.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/student.asp

Reactions: marcosanderson

marcosanderson

Apr 21, 2018
Hi

You need to apply for a study permit. If you apply before your current work permit expires, you will have Implied Status allowing you to stay in Canada. However, you need to stop working when your work permit expires.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/student.asp

Thanks canuck, for the quick response.

I got it!!
But just to confirm, I think the student visa allows me to work up to 20 h /week, isnt it?
I mean, of course after my program starts.

But before I receive the new visa I understand I have to stop working.

Thanks again! :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks canuck, for the quick response.

I got it!!
But just to confirm, I think the student visa allows me to work up to 20 h /week, isnt it?
I mean, of course after my program starts.

But before I receive the new visa I understand I have to stop working.

Thanks again! :)
Yes, the study permit will allow you to work 20 hours/week while studying and full-time during scheduled breaks. You can't work on Implied Status and if the study permit is approved, you can't work until you actually start your studies.

I posted the link for applying outside of Canada. This is the right link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/extend-study-permit.html.

Reactions: marcosanderson