+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Surname while applying for Express Entry

katscherumi

Feb 5, 2017
Hey Everyone,

I'm pretty new here in this thread and would like to seek your advise with regard to my application for the express entry. I intend to apply next month for the express entry but i have yet to change the surname on my passport. Would it be alright to process my Express Entry application and just provide the necessary documents after i successfully changed the surname on my passport. another question would be, what are the necessary documents should i present to prove authenticity of the surname change. Thank you in advance. Appreciate your help everyone!!

katscherumi

Feb 5, 2017
Why are you changing your surname? Please provide more details so you can get relevant advice.

Good luck.
Hello Wandering Mind, I got married 2 years ago and I have yet to change my surname to my husband's surname that is why i am planning change it before applying for an Express Entry.

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
Hello Wandering Mind, I got married 2 years ago and I have yet to change my surname to my husband's surname that is why i am planning change it before applying for an Express Entry.
If you're changing your name for personal reasons, you can go ahead. But if you're thinking about changing it for Canada immigration, there's no need to do that.

A marriage certificate is the only document that Canada immigration asks for to prove the relationship between you and your spouse. It doesn't matter if the spouses have the same surname or not.

In fact, it's best to not change your surname for Canada immigration because that way all your documents (passport, degree certificates, work experience letters etc) will have the same name.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: katscherumi

katscherumi

Feb 5, 2017
If you're changing your name for personal reasons, you can go ahead. But if you're thinking about changing it for Canada immigration, there's not need to do that.

A marriage certificate is the only document that Canada immigration asks for to prove the relationship between you and your spouse. It doesn't matter if the spouses have the same surname or not.

In fact, it's best to not change your surname for Canada immigration because that way all your documents (passport, degree certificates, work experience letters etc) will have the same name.

Good luck.
Awesome!! this is such a relief. haha Thanks for the clarifying this info Wandering Mind.

Reactions: Wandering Mind

Random79

Oct 5, 2018
Hello, for me I received an ita just before my divorce came through. My passport is in my ex husbands name. I have applied in August with my daughter as my only dependant. I have even done biometrics. Now I intend to return to my father's name. Do a change of name and a new passport bearing my maiden name, then update ircc.

Would that also be a nuisance? I wouldn't want to go with my married name. However not at the detriment of my application.