+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Name during immigration process..?

thayyib

Star Member
Jan 23, 2009
Hi,

I have just submitted my full application last week. My daughters don't have surname in their passport, I am planning to add a one through the change of name process (news paper ads an court affidavit). Can you please recommend whether I should wait until I get my stamping or start the process now and intimate the local CHC once the name is changed in the passport. advice please..

Thanks

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
If I had been asked the same question, this is what I would do.

If a surname is not needed for immigration purposes, then why don't you wait it out. Well, I would only do this if no one else replies to this thread.

Also make sure once the PR stamp goes into their passports, what the rules are about changing passports after the stamp.

thayyib

Star Member
Jan 23, 2009
hi,

does anybody know what will be the process if the name is changed after the PR stamping, and how long will it take. thanks for your time & response.

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
it won't matter. a PR visa is just like any other visa. If you change the name of your daughters, then the name change goes in the passport as a stamp inside. The PR will be issued without the Surname in most likely situation. They may also ask for other proof like school leaving certificate, publish in newspapers, etc. so, have them handy...

While landing, you can request the Immigration Officer to change the name of your daughters on the PR card. The IO will ask for proof and you can show the passport page on which the name change is stamped. Your daughters will be issued the PR card with the surname.

I have researched this out because I intend to do the same for my wife' surname... her passport still has her maiden name. So, we applied with her maiden name and if we get approved, we'll request for the married name to be put on the PR Card.

thayyib

Star Member
Jan 23, 2009
Thanks Aanbaan for your response. If we do a change of name with a valid visa in the passport, they won't issue a new passport, rather do a endorsement in the current passport, am I right.

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
thayyib said:
Thanks Aanbaan for your response. If we do a change of name with a valid visa in the passport, they won't issue a new passport, rather do a endorsement in the current passport, am I right.
from your earlier posts, i remember you are in India... if yes, then the answer is Yes... If no, then I don't know.. :)