+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of name. Do I need to update CIC?

dana2

May 17, 2016
So, after marriage, me, the sponsor, I have taken the name of my spouse. I have applied for a change of name with the Canadian authorities. Do I need to update CIC on this event?

And if I update CIC, does that mean that I am delaying the processing of my spouses' application to become a permanent resident.

Much appreciate it!

AG15

May 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Ndvo
dana2 said:
So, after marriage, me, the sponsor, I have taken the name of my spouse. I have applied for a change of name with the Canadian authorities. Do I need to update CIC on this event?

And if I update CIC, does that mean that I am delaying the processing of my spouses' application to become a permanent resident.

Much appreciate it!
Yes you can update it to cic. No it will not delay the application. Go ahead.

dana2

May 17, 2016
AG15 said:
I can, but do I necessarily have to? Just curious. And, how do I go about doing it?

Hardcookie

Jan 30, 2016
Nairobi
Category........
Visa Office......
NRB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
Doc's Request.
21-04-2016
AOR Received.
05-04-2016
Med's Done....
29-01-2016
Passport Req..
13-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2016
LANDED..........
09-11-2016
dana2 said:
I can, but do I necessarily have to? Just curious. And, how do I go about doing it?
Dana it may not be a must for a sponsor especially after sponsorship has been approved. If it was a principal applicant then yes.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
dana2 said:
Yes, you need to update your name with IRCC. Send a CSE with proof of the name change.

dana2

May 17, 2016
Yes, sponsorship has been approved. You guys understand my dilema I do not want to send papers to CIC which will delay my spouse's application, and in the same time, I do not want to forego their requirements out of a technicality such as this one :)

Siana2

Jul 30, 2016
I have the same dilemma, I received the name change certificate but the application for sponsorship was sent in June. I was approved as a sponsor but the application form was sent in my current name (the one I hade before the marriage) and I would need to change all my documents including the passport.....if I can wait until he gets here I would rather start the process at that point. I tried calling the Registrar office and the response I got was that there is no time frame when you can change your name. Maybe try calling them....

Def Patrick

Apr 28, 2016
They clearly stated on their email and website that if there is/are any changes in circumstances, you MUST inform them immediately.

-Change in marital status, for example due to marriage, cohabitation, divorce, separation, annulment or death of spouse or common-law partner;
-Change in family composition, for example due to adoption or birth of a child, including a child born to your accompanying dependent child,
-Death of principal applicant, spouse/common-law partner, accompanying children, or death of sponsoring relative;
-Change in health, including pregnancy;
-You or any of your accompanying family members being charged or convicted of a criminal offence;
-Change in contact information: mailing address, e-mail address, or telephone number.

I suggest you inform them right away and send legal forms/proof. It could/would be a problem further in the process of your sponsorship application if they find out.

Siana2

Jul 30, 2016
Def Patrick said:
They clearly stated on their email and website that if there is/are any changes in circumstances, you MUST inform them immediately.

-Change in marital status, for example due to marriage, cohabitation, divorce, separation, annulment or death of spouse or common-law partner;
-Change in family composition, for example due to adoption or birth of a child, including a child born to your accompanying dependent child,
-Death of principal applicant, spouse/common-law partner, accompanying children, or death of sponsoring relative;
-Change in health, including pregnancy;
-You or any of your accompanying family members being charged or convicted of a criminal offence;
-Change in contact information: mailing address, e-mail address, or telephone number.

I suggest you inform them right away and send legal forms/proof. It could/would be a problem further in the process of your sponsorship application if they find out.
I understand you need to inform them of any change but if you do not change anything? I am not planning to change my name in my documents until he gets here. The question asked at the Registrar office was if there is a time limit to change your name after somebody receives the name change certificate. I will change my name eventually once the entire process of sponsorship is over. I am not changing anything right now.....so in this case do I still notify CIC?

just a square

Mar 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2016
AOR Received.
08-07-2016
File Transfer...
SA 08-08-2016, AOR2 16-08-2016
Med's Done....
06-05-2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
14-03-2017

dana2

May 17, 2016
Siana2 said:
I understand you need to inform them of any change but if you do not change anything? I am not planning to change my name in my documents until he gets here. The question asked at the Registrar office was if there is a time limit to change your name after somebody receives the name change certificate. I will change my name eventually once the entire process of sponsorship is over. I am not changing anything right now.....so in this case do I still notify CIC?
So, what did the Registrar answer you? That you do not need to modify your name right away? ... I was informed of the contrary :( What is anybody to believe of all this contradictory information ...

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
an applicant needs to notify cic of a name change IF they change their name before their application is approved, the COPR is received and they land as a PR. The COPR must match the name in the applicant's Passport. If you legally change your name, then more than likely you will be updating your passport to reflect your new name. if you update your passport, then you need to notify cic.

it's really not that complicated:

change name in passport before approval/landing = contacting cic. NOT changing name in passport before approval/landing = no need to contact cic.

if a person decides to not change their name until AFTER landing as a pr, then they would need to apply for a new PR card to reflect the new name in the passport.

a sponsor does not need to notify cic of a name change.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
dana2 said:
Yes, sponsorship has been approved. You guys understand my dilema I do not want to send papers to CIC which will delay my spouse's application, and in the same time, I do not want to forego their requirements out of a technicality such as this one :)
There will be no delay. Just update your name.

Sivagowry

Jan 23, 2017
How to update the last name after marriage? I receiver my PRR. But unable to submit the passport because of different last name. The application hold my father's name as last name and passport is with my husband name. Kindly suggest any advice.