+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Citizenship after landing paper issued

sun_in_rome

Jun 14, 2013
Hi I am new on this forum I am not sure if this is discussed here before or not .
I am citizen of A Country living in B country applied PR for Canada from B country and received Landing paper. But now I got citizenship of B country as well just before leaving for Canada as my visa is expiring in next two months.
my question is

1. should I tell Immigration officer about citizenship change status on arrival at airport? or

2. How can I change citizenship status on my PR Card after its issued with A citizenship to B citizenship?

3. Is it possible to travel with any passport or Passport of B country though PR is Issued with A Passport?

As country A don't allow dual citizenship but Country B is fine with dual citizenship so I have to cancel my Citizenship of A.
I know Canada is fine with dual citizenship as well. But if I got PR card with Country A passport and got that Passport cancelled will it make any problem for me to travel with Passport B but PR Card with A on it???? Please guide how to get it changed on PR card from A TO B???

sun_in_rome

Jun 14, 2013
steaky said:
No issues with Canada.
Thanks for your reply. so that means i can get PR Card with A Citizenship even if that cancelled latter i can still use B passport and PR card issued with A citizenship?

bako

Nov 20, 2013
Hi, I'm exactly in the same situation.

@Sun_in_rom, Could you share how you went through this?

@Steaky, Do you know if its possible to move the temporary visa issued with landing paper to the new passport (from citizen A)

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sun_in_rome said:
Hi I am new on this forum I am not sure if this is discussed here before or not .
I am citizen of A Country living in B country applied PR for Canada from B country and received Landing paper. But now I got citizenship of B country as well just before leaving for Canada as my visa is expiring in next two months.
my question is

1. should I tell Immigration officer about citizenship change status on arrival at airport? or

2. How can I change citizenship status on my PR Card after its issued with A citizenship to B citizenship?

3. Is it possible to travel with any passport or Passport of B country though PR is Issued with A Passport?

As country A don't allow dual citizenship but Country B is fine with dual citizenship so I have to cancel my Citizenship of A.
I know Canada is fine with dual citizenship as well. But if I got PR card with Country A passport and got that Passport cancelled will it make any problem for me to travel with Passport B but PR Card with A on it???? Please guide how to get it changed on PR card from A TO B???
1. Sure but you don't have to.

2. You would have to apply for a new PR Card since the initial PR Card is based on your COPR data. This would be based on what document the visa post currently has which is country A. You can change document details to country B with the visa post but this may delay your application if you have to send back your COPR.

3. Depends - if Passport B is visitor visa exempt to Canada then airline doesn't really care about your COPR and you can deal with this at the landing Port of Entry. If its not visitor visa exempt then do you want to explain the situation at the airport and rely on the check in agent making sense of your situation that you are not someone else given COPR will have a different passport with a risk of not travelling?

But isn't this all moot since you shouldn't have Passport A anymore?

The multiple passport issue may/will impact on future PR Card renewal and citizenship application - CIC wants to see passports either bio data or all pages at application, test, residency interview etc as the case maybe so you best keep certified copies of all pages if/ when you hand back whichever passport it is that you can't have due to dual citizenship.

bako

Nov 20, 2013
steaky said:
No issues with Canada.
Msafiri said:
3. Depends - if Passport B is visitor visa exempt to Canada then airline doesn't really care about your COPR and you can deal with this at the landing Port of Entry. If its not visitor visa exempt then do you want to explain the situation at the airport and rely on the check in agent making sense of your situation that you are not someone else given COPR will have a different passport with a risk of not travelling?

But isn't this all moot since you shouldn't have Passport A anymore?

The multiple passport issue may/will impact on future PR Card renewal and citizenship application - CIC wants to see passports either bio data or all pages at application, test, residency interview etc as the case maybe so you best keep certified copies of all pages if/ when you hand back whichever passport it is that you can't have due to dual citizenship.
I am still in dilemma about two things: 1. Should I inform the CIC now that I have received a new citizenship from country B (which is visitor visa exempt to Canada) or just let them know at the airport at landing time?. 2. As country A doesn't allow dual citizenship, so in reality I shouldn't even have this country A passport anymore. Now I wonder if I should surrender country A passport before I land in Canada or after? I have also got on country A passport visa foil.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
It very much sounds as if you are no longer a citizen with country a. This is also the passport with your visa. I would say you need to fix this with CIC before attempting to land as that could be seen as misrepresentation. You were issued a pr visa under citizenship a, but now you are no longer a citizen there and instead a citizen of b. Sounds very odd to me and I don't even work for CIC.

bako

Nov 20, 2013
Alurra71 said:
It very much sounds as if you are no longer a citizen with country a. This is also the passport with your visa. I would say you need to fix this with CIC before attempting to land as that could be seen as misrepresentation. You were issued a pr visa under citizenship a, but now you are no longer a citizen there and instead a citizen of b. Sounds very odd to me and I don't even work for CIC.
Actually country A law says that I need to submit renunciation of citizenship application etc. and I'm no longer citizen of Country A "from the date of renunciation application submission". They also don't mention any time limit or deadline that when I must do it after Country B citizenship attainment. So, technically I'm still citizen of country A because I haven't submitted renunciation application yet. However, in practice I should submit my renunciation application already but I haven't done yet.

Now I'm confused, which option to take:

1. Should I land in Canada, and at the time of landing mention at the border that I have received citizenship of Country B, and after I get my PR card, I revoke my country A citizenship?
2. Should I renunciate my country A citizenship (this passport has the canadia PR visa counterfoil stamped) already now and fly to Canada with my country B passport, which is visa-exempt to Canada? In this case, on my COPR is written Nationality: Country A, but I'll be traveling with Country B passport.
3. Or should I contact CIC and explain the situation before leaving for Canada without renunciation of Country A yet? In this option I am afraid I would need to go through the whole process of immigration again.

I know this situation is a bit peculiar but any suggestions on which option would be best to follow, or any other option you may suggest?

Would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.

bako

Nov 20, 2013
Anyone with any suggestion or advice?

Leon, scylla and other senior members, any suggestions?

wahwah

Jun 30, 2011
@Bako, Hi, Im a newbie so my added value might not be high. Here are my 2 cts, if I were you as your case is pretty tricky.

1. I would call CIC and get advice. I would call twice and speak with a diff person to confirm the advice of the second is consistent with the first CIC advice. Try also the Canada embassy of country A although I doubt they know and just referred you back to CIC.

2. I would enter/ land with country A passport since your PR was granted based on it if you can hold your renunciation after you have landed. When you landed in Canada go to a notary to certify all pages of your Country A passport and also docs relating to your citizenship change if the paperwork issued by Country A n B are not fully recognized by Canada.

Pls note when you leave Canada after you have landed, your exit stamp for eg if you travel out via USA would not be part of the notarized set you did. You will then need to certify that exit page when you returned Country A or B and hopefully either country,s certification would be acceptable to
Canada. You need to do this before you surrender your Country A passport upon renunciation. Msafi

Im typing all this in a rush and may sound confusing. Hopefully u get the gist and the aim to minimize getting too many queries. Msafiri n others have made some good suggestions.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. What is the expiry date of your landing visa?

2. How many months did it take for the visa post to endorse the visa from passport A request?

3. What are the consequences of not renouncing Citizenship A...its odd that they leave it in your hands to do as your convenience...there must be a time limit to renounce post attaining a different citizenship?

NeoJ

Star Member
May 6, 2020
my question is

hi may I know how did you solve your situation eventually?