+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change my status while waiting for spousal sponsorship PR

cassyau

Jan 23, 2024
I'm currently holding a study permit and am on the last step of submitting the PR application through inland spousal sponsorship. However, due to personal reasons, I might soon no longer be meeting the studying permit condition. I would like to stay in Canada while waiting for the results. I'm thinking of changing my student status to a visitor for the PR application.

my question is,
1. will it affect my PR application if I change my status (from student to visitor)?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I'm currently holding a study permit and am on the last step of submitting the PR application through inland spousal sponsorship. However, due to personal reasons, I might soon no longer be meeting the studying permit condition. I would like to stay in Canada while waiting for the results. I'm thinking of changing my student status to a visitor for the PR application.

my question is,
1. will it affect my PR application if I change my status (from student to visitor)?
No it won't. In your case, it's better to have a valid status (visitor) than to become out of status. You can only apply for OWP under spousal sponsorship after AOR and if you have valid status.

Join discussion in the Family Class Sponsorship section for other information and timeline of applications submitted around the same time.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/family-class-sponsorship.5/