+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change my last name???

whiteapple

Star Member
Jun 4, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i'm applying for inland spousal sponsorship. should i change my last name first before applying?

it would take a while before i finish the process of changing last names and im running out of time cuz my visitors visa and work permit are expiring.

will it affect my application if i change it after i get the PR status?

thankss!

I

iarblue

Whats it say on your marriage cert?And anything else you have that is together.Some people have waited others did it before.If nothing is in your married name as of yet then change it after the PR card comes.But its just personal choice.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
The application must be filled out using the name that is on your passport or travel documents - so, if that's your maiden name, use it and submit a copy of your existing passport or travel docs with the application. Then make arrangements to get your name changed on your passport - and, once you receive the new passport, update CIC with a photocopy of that. Your marriage licence references both names (and sometimes even makes note of the fact that you're taking your husband's name) - so there is no need to worry that they somehow won't believe you're married just because your names are different.

The important thing is that, if you are applying inland, you need to get the entire application - as well as the extension application for your work permit - submitted to CPC-Vegreville so that it's received BEFORE your status expires. Track the mailing and get delivery confirmation. Once that's done, there's time to update your name change. Keep in mind, though, that you can't leave Canada during inland processing - so if you have to present your passport in person in order to get your name changed, you're going to have to wait until after you get PR. That means your PR (and PR card) will be issued in your maiden name, and you'll have to apply for a new PR card, with your new name, once you get everything sorted out with the passport.