+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change in citizenship- Approved I140 still valid?

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
I was on H1B in the US for around 9 years and had an approved I140. My question is that while in US and during I140 approval I was an Indian citizen. I will soon be becoming a Canadian citizen and renouncing my Indian citizenship. Does my approved I140 still hold valid for me to be cap exempt for H1B?

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Curios if you found an answer for this question. I'm in the same situation.

I was on H1B in the US for around 9 years and had an approved I140. My question is that while in US and during I140 approval I was an Indian citizen. I will soon be becoming a Canadian citizen and renouncing my Indian citizenship. Does my approved I140 still hold valid for me to be cap exempt for H1B?

kobronjornett

Dec 21, 2023
I had a clarification: How did you maintain your H-1B status while living in Canada to complete the 1095 day requirement for Canadian citizenship?

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
I had a clarification: How did you maintain your H-1B status while living in Canada to complete the 1095 day requirement for Canadian citizenship?
I did not maintain my H1. Currently I have no status in the US. Sorry for not being clear in my original post.
My question was for the case if I ever decide to work in the US in the future again as an H1.

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Curios if you found an answer for this question. I'm in the same situation.
From what I have gathered so far, the answer is that US does not care if you have changed citizenship, so from that perspective the I140 is still considered valid and can be used to get cap-exempt H1.