+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change closed work permit by an open one

KBF

Jan 11, 2024
Hello, I arrived in Canada on June 2022 under a closed work permit valid till February 2025. Unfortunately there were some layoff and I am not working there anymore since end of November. I was thinking on enrolling into a diploma course of one year in the algonquin college and they confirmed that the program is eligible for "study permit with open work permit". However (and before I enroll into that program) I would like to know if I am going to be able to receive an open work permit if I take that work given that I have that closed work permit.
Thank you so much in advance to all that can help me with this.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello, I arrived in Canada on June 2022 under a closed work permit valid till February 2025. Unfortunately there were some layoff and I am not working there anymore since end of November. I was thinking on enrolling into a diploma course of one year in the algonquin college and they confirmed that the program is eligible for "study permit with open work permit". However (and before I enroll into that program) I would like to know if I am going to be able to receive an open work permit if I take that work given that I have that closed work permit.
If you apply and are approved for a study permit and it says you can work, then you can work up to 20 hours. You need to pay tuition and show $21k in bank account for one person. Show that the program will give you higher pay in home country and education progression.

Reactions: KBF

KBF

Jan 11, 2024
If you apply and are approved for a study permit and it says you can work, then you can work up to 20 hours. You need to pay tuition and show $21k in bank account for one person. Show that the program will give you higher pay in home country and education progression.
So that means that first I should change my work visa to a study visa so I can get the work permit, correct?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So that means that first I should change my work visa to a study visa so I can get the work permit, correct?
You need to apply for a study permit. When approved, your permit will say whether you can work on or off campus. Sometimes it will say you cannot work. If it says you cannot then you have to apply and ask for an amendment. There is no 100% guarantee.

You don’t need a study permit right now if you meet certain conditions as you are on a closed work permit. However this doesn’t allow you to work for anyone but your current employer.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I think that statement is a bit misleading.
"study permit with open work permit"

If approved and continue to study full time, you can work up to 20 hr per week for most study permits.
BUT you will not get a separate open work permit.

Reactions: KBF and Naturgrl

KBF

Jan 11, 2024
You need to apply for a study permit. When approved, your permit will say whether you can work on or off campus. Sometimes it will say you cannot work. If it says you cannot then you have to apply and ask for an amendment. There is no 100% guarantee.

You don’t need a study permit right now if you meet certain conditions as you are on a closed work permit. However this doesn’t allow you to work for anyone but your current employer.
Right, I knew about that because last year the government announced that everyone holding a work visa/permit can study in Canada. However, my big concern was whether if I would be receiving a new open work permit or not, as I am not working with my last employer anymore due to the layoffs (despite the closed work permit is valid till Feb 2025)

KBF

Jan 11, 2024
I think that statement is a bit misleading.
"study permit with open work permit"

If approved and continue to study full time, you can work up to 20 hr per week for most study permits.
BUT you will not get a separate open work permit.
Thanks, that's what the colleague literally sent me.
So, per your comment, as my closed work permit is still valid (no matter if I am not working with that company anymore) I will not be able to receive an open work permit despite I enroll in that one year program, correct? If yes, that means that I would need to change my work visa by a study visa so the last work permit can be cancel or whatever, and I can receive an open work permit linked to the new study visa, right?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So, per your comment, as my closed work permit is still valid (no matter if I am not working with that company anymore) I will not be able to receive an open work permit despite I enroll in that one year program, correct? If yes, that means that I would need to change my work visa by a study visa so the last work permit can be cancel or whatever, and I can receive an open work permit linked to the new study visa, right?
You need a LOA to apply for a study permit as well as paying tuition and showing $21k in bank account. If approved, your study permit MAY say that you can work on or off campus. It is your study permit that allows you to work. If so, you can work up to 20 hours. There is no separate work permit, per se. You still have a closed work permit.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
NO. You need to double check with the collage. I do not think you will get an open work permit.

btw, if you are not working, I think there is a time limit that you still have valid status in Canada. IRCC provide some time/gap for you to seek another employer to apply for close work permit.

Reactions: KBF and Naturgrl

KBF

Jan 11, 2024
NO. You need to double check with the collage. I do not think you will get an open work permit.

btw, if you are not working, I think there is a time limit that you still have valid status in Canada. IRCC provide some time/gap for you to seek another employer to apply for close work permit.
Thank you so much for your response. Then maybe it does not worth to spend a lot of money on enrolling a program if at the end I will not be able to change my work permit.
About the valid status, one immigration consultant told me that my status is valid till my visa expires (2025).
Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you so much for your response. Then maybe it does not worth to spend a lot of money on enrolling a program if at the end I will not be able to change my work permit.
About the valid status, one immigration consultant told me that my status is valid till my visa expires (2025).
Thanks
I double check, it's correct. You can stay in Canada but cannot work.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks
The chances of you being able to work up to 20 hours is high. Most if all students are allowed to work. It is just not guaranteed. Not sure why you wouldn’t apply for a study permit and see if approved. Can you show $21k in bank account (assume you are single). You also want to show you have money for tuition.

KBF

Jan 11, 2024
I double check, it's correct. You can stay in Canada but cannot work.
thank you so much for double checking.
Yes, I cannot work unless another company hire me with another work permit. Unfortunately, most of the companies are not aware about the Canada-Peru trade (that Canadian companies can hire Peruvians without the LMIA) nor the Francophone mobility program (Canadian companies can hire people without the LMIA if the candidate took the TEF/TCF and got at least CLB5 and continue studying French). I am Peruvian and also got CLB5 (and I continue studying so hopefully I can get 7 or more to get an invite for the PR) but it is been hard to find a company willing to do that :(. I am a computer and system engineer, but I've been looking any kind of job at this point without luck. And the jobbank it not that helpful. Most of the interviews I had were for linkedin and indeed.