+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances to get a positive LMO..?

therealbatman

Nov 26, 2011
Hey Guys!

Okay, So I just returned home from Canada for the second time. This time I stayed 5 months with my fiance with a multiple entry temporary resident visa and long story short I have been dying to go back already. It is really hard to be away from the one you love, as you all know. So I am trying to go back but this time be able to work (just a note: I'm not lazy, I had money with me till the end of my visit). We plan on getting married next year which will probably be as soon as we can.

So here's the thing, I have been reading everything I can on work permits on the cic website and I can't help but wonder what kind of jobs exactly, does the HRSDC approve with a positive LMO. Are they only professional occupations? A job that requires a specific amount of hours per week? If that is the case then I guess I have no chance because the reason I came back (South Africa by the way) is to complete my degree but to be honest, I really don't want to be stuck here again without my fiance because it is beyond dreadful.

I have gotten a job offer, thanks to my fiance. Which brings me here to ask a few people who would know, whether it would be possible to apply for a work permit in this given situation, because the manager has offerend me a job to work in his electronics department at Real Canadian superstore. I am not sure whether the HRSDC would give us the green light for this as it is not a professional occupation. I would just love to work there to be with my fiance so we can married and then I'll complete my degree in Canada.

If anyone can help me with this or has some advice (any) on the matter, please respond here or in a pm.
Thank you,
Batman.

D

dottorre

Hey New Guy here!

I noticed your post on a search, so here I go.

I have been told, getting a LMO is easier in more populated provinces and in certain industries that are having problems finding people to work in. I have been trying myself for over a year, and I have Canadian wife and children. From what I have been told and have found out, its very diffcult and a lengthy process. I was offered a job only to be told the the LMO was declined, in the end I left Canada to work at home away from my family.

If you have any luck put in a good word for me :D

therealbatman

Nov 26, 2011
Hi! Thanks for replying.

In which province did you try? I want to work in Manitoba.. It's so hard huh. I feel sorry for you-you must miss them so much. Also, what kind of jobs did you apply for/were you offered for?

D

dottorre

HAHAHAHA

Funny you should say Manitoba, I have just come from there (Winnipeg).

Had a job in the Rail Industry, my home industry.

I have been looking in Ontario and Alberta, as a way to find an employer. Buts its a dam sight easier working in Manitoba for the family.

Funny meeting you like this? What part of the world you from?

therealbatman

Nov 26, 2011
lol hey!

I am a tad bit confused though. So you did work in Manitoba? was it hard finding a job there? Brandon is like right next to Winnipeg lol so I wonder ugh.. It would be so cool if I could work there though, Even if it is in Superstore. I am kind of desperate to be honest. I am South African, Cape Town born. You?

D

dottorre

No, never worked in Canada at all.

Its a son of a bi*** in Winnipeg. I will most likley have to sit out the long wait for residency in Winnipeg. I have looked across Mb in most industries which fit my skills or close, not saying I am wounderfull but I have had no luck so far.

Me I am from England, of all places :D

I will most likely be heading back again soon, if you want a some one who has a clue about all the crap you are going through. Drop me a line (off the public area).

scuudz

Sep 29, 2011
Hello,

I have just been through the process of receiving a positive LMO. It is a relatively lengthy process, and you need to make sure your employer is willing to support you through the whole thing since it is your employer, and not you, that applies for the LMO.

It took me 9 weeks, and my job is not in any of the 'big 4' provinces of Ontario, Quebec, BC or Alberta. Having a professional designation does not ensure that you will have an easier time getting an LMO. I have a professional occupation, but have read about some other professionals such as optometrists being declined because HRSDC concluded that there was no shortage of Canadians in that profession. I have also seen lots of workers which Canada clubs together in the 'low skilled' group get positive LMOs. So, it all depends on whether HRSDC thinks there is a shortage for your profession in Canada, and if they think your employer will be paying you a fair wage.

Since you are a student, have you considered enrolling as an international student in one of the Canadian universities? It might take the same amount of time, and you might have a better chance of getting in as a student.

Good luck!

therealbatman

Nov 26, 2011
Hi!

"I have also seen lots of workers which Canada clubs together in the 'low skilled' group get positive LMOs." what do you mean by this exactly?

What is your occupation, If I may ask? Just curious. Also which state? Well... ugh I don't know I am kind of depressed because I am scared of not getting a positive LMO and then I shall be screwed. Thing is, I would love to apply as an international student but student fees are 4 times as much for international students and you need to show you have a lot of money to take care of yourself-so that is not going to happen. I heard you need to find an employer who is willing to stick with you throughout the whole process-it must be hard to find someone who will actually do you a favor like that.

I just got back from university-trying to sort out things for next year when I go back. Well, first I was told that it would be my last year then today all of a sudden I have to do 2 years which is messed up and doesn't make sense. I am in no state to be here for 2 years, it's crazy. I just want to leave already. I am studying BSc and I'm sure I'll have to get postgraduate degrees to actually find a good job. I don't know, theres no light at the end of the tunnel it seems.

scuudz

Sep 29, 2011
therealbatman said:
Hi!

"I have also seen lots of workers which Canada clubs together in the 'low skilled' group get positive LMOs." what do you mean by this exactly?
That was in response to you asking in your first post if only professional jobs are given positive LMOs. I meant to say that there are professionals who have been refused LMOs, and people that CIC considers 'low skilled' such as food-counter attendants etc. who have received positive LMOs. So its not about if you are in a professional occupation or not. It's about being in an occupation in which there aren't enough Canadians.

therealbatman

Nov 26, 2011
Oh. my apologies then. Thanks for clarifying. I want to start on this as soon as possible. That is defnitly news that gives us hope :)