+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cessation and refugee travel document

Harry9909

Mar 7, 2024
Hi all. I have a few questions i want to ask. Any help will be extremely appreciated
1- i got my refugee status and got PR 3 years ago. I had no idea travelling on home country passport is not advised so i renewed my passport and travelled to dubai for business. I travelled 3 times to dubai since then. And just a few days to my home country as well. I had no idea if it’s advisable or not. Nobody told me that. Upon returning to canada 3rd time CBSA officer told me he will send cessation for me. But he didnt look confident as his fellow officers were whispering that its a long process and we may not get approved by the court. Anyway he told me he’ll still call for cessation and its immigration office which will contact me or not its upon them and he let me go. I apologize again that i didnt know its not advisable. Its been 3 days i haven’t received any email or letter from them. So am i good or not?
2- I applied for citizenship and my test and background check is marked as complete. Will this whole thing affect my citizenship??
3- i have sponsored my wife also. Will it affect her sponsorship or not??
4- i want to get RTD now but that form asks if you have any other country passport, so what should i answer them and how can i explain my situation as i have a grown business in dubai and dubai doesnt allow RTD to enter. They will only allow me to enter on my home country passport.
Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all. I have a few questions i want to ask. Any help will be extremely appreciated
1- i got my refugee status and got PR 3 years ago. I had no idea travelling on home country passport is not advised so i renewed my passport and travelled to dubai for business. I travelled 3 times to dubai since then. And just a few days to my home country as well. I had no idea if it’s advisable or not. Nobody told me that. Upon returning to canada 3rd time CBSA officer told me he will send cessation for me. But he didnt look confident as his fellow officers were whispering that its a long process and we may not get approved by the court. Anyway he told me he’ll still call for cessation and its immigration office which will contact me or not its upon them and he let me go. I apologize again that i didnt know its not advisable. Its been 3 days i haven’t received any email or letter from them. So am i good or not?
2- I applied for citizenship and my test and background check is marked as complete. Will this whole thing affect my citizenship??
4- i want to get RTD now but that form asks if you have any other country passport, so what should i answer them and how can i explain my situation as i have a grown business in dubai and dubai doesnt allow RTD to enter. They will only allow me to enter on my home country passport.
Thanks in advance.
There is a large thread on cessation in the citizenship section of the forum. Suggest you spend some time reading through the posts there. You may also want to get a consult with a lawyer. Short answer to your question is that traveling to your home country can result in citizenship being refused and your PR status revoked.

You aren't notified of cessation within three days. It's a lot more involved than that. So no, you aren't necessarily good. Best to speak with a good lawyer.

Cessation thread:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship.333455/page-56

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thanks in advance.
1. 3days is short period of time for the Minister to build case for the cessation and submit Application to Cease your Protected Status to RPD. What happened at the airport is regular process flow where CBSA will notify IRCC, who will request Cessation and advise you. In your situation, two facts applies, one renewing your home passport while you are protected person and use home passport to travel. Unfortunately, there 90% and above allowed case by all cessation application submitted by the Minister. Prior 2021, Statistics indicates 100% Allowed with ZERO Dismissed
https://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/statistics/protection/Pages/RPDVacStat.aspx

2. Most likely yes. At any moment during your Citizenship Application upon receiving information from CBSA, it will stop and possible go back to Eligibility stage until decision is made on Ministers Application to cease your status

3. Yes, if Minister go through with that application, it will affect your spouse application

4. Nothing to explain, you will just have to answer you do have a passport. I hope you disclosed passport information during citizenship application as well.

As per @scylla comment, you need to work with very good lawyer.

Last edited:

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
-Renewing your passport
-Travelling with your passport (anywhere)
-Travelling to your home country

Which are you can’t do any of them. But you did all.

I know a few people deported. One came to Canada 25 years ago and he was visiting his home country. Last time officer told him that they are going to do this process. He also applied for citizenship. But they cancelled all.

Another lady same thing. She came years ago. Also citizenship application was in process.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks in advance.
The fact that you have created or always had a business in Dubai will not have an impact on IRCC’s decision. You would be expected to move your business to another location if you being present at your Dubai offices is required to run your business. Since you have used your home country passport IRCC will know that you have a home country passport so considering lying to IRCC would not be a good idea. Not a good idea in general but in the situation IRCC would already unaware of the passport since you used it. Nobody can predict what will happen to your file but would suggest consulting with an immigration lawyer.

Vips1410

Star Member
Mar 8, 2021
Thanks in advance.

Vips1410

Star Member
Mar 8, 2021
I traveled few times after got my pr card different countries like usa Uk europe and Dubai but not my home country but I am still using my home country passport no issue may be because I did not get pr through asylum I got married here and withdrawn my asylum case May be my situation is different border officer did stop when I was coming from Istanbul at Montreal airport I told him yes I was asylum seeeker but I got married and I withdraw my case never got hearing he said ok no worries enter without problem .

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
I traveled few times after got my pr card different countries like usa Uk europe and Dubai but not my home country but I am still using my home country passport no issue may be because I did not get pr through asylum I got married here and withdrawn my asylum case May be my situation is different border officer did stop when I was coming from Istanbul at Montreal airport I told him yes I was asylum seeeker but I got married and I withdraw my case never got hearing he said ok no worries enter without problem .
yes none of this applies to you. you are a regular pr since you withdrew your claim so you won't have these issues and won't apply to you.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
None of this applies to you.

Reactions: Vips1410