+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ceremony cancelled administrative error

mimika

Jan 12, 2021
And for sure the officer didn’t tell you when is it expecting to be rescheduled. Correct?
No, the Agents don't have this information as they can't see it on file. They also can't provide the approx wait time, as by their protocol they refer to the average processing times which are 17 months. My application was finalized within less than 3 months so they will say that "I was considered to be lucky" however, we all know that since the begging of the online portal the applications are processed within just few months...:)

mimika

Jan 12, 2021
I really don’t understand how the file can be sent back for further assessment after the oath being scheduled and received the emails with oath confirmation? I don’t know neither understand how they are working.
Probably cases are required a final review before Oath ceremony and maybe some applications are more complex. However, my application doesn't seem complex at all :) I don't know. Try to call them tomorrow morning I was lucky to speak to them when I started calling at 8 am once they open the lines

Moura

Aug 17, 2021
Probably cases are required a final review before Oath ceremony and maybe some applications are more complex. However, my application doesn't seem complex at all :) I don't know. Try to call them tomorrow morning I was lucky to speak to them when I started calling at 8 am once they open the lines
Our applications processed within 10 month but I have everything completed since June. That’s why it make sense to receive the Oath invite now because it is almost after 6 month from completing the citizenship test.

mimika

Jan 12, 2021
Our applications processed within 10 month but I have everything completed since June. That’s why it make sense to receive the Oath invite now because it is almost after 6 month from completing the citizenship test.
100% Call them please and keep us updated what did they say. That is so frustrating and so many people are here waiting for at least some clarity

Rolazaher

Mar 7, 2018
My oath ceremony also was canceled due to administrative error. It is Mississauga office. It was supposed to be in September 12. Is it an error or we have a problem? Or what is going on ?please guide me

RossMatt

Oct 28, 2023
My son and My husband got emails and phone calls from Mississauga office , saying that they cancelled the oath ceremony that supose to be tomorrow September 8th, due to an administrative error and will be rescheduled in due course.
Any update?

mimika

Jan 12, 2021
this is very disappointing and they are not thinking about People’s Emotions and arrangements for that.
the problem is no body tell you the reason of cancellation.
Just received a ghost update on my tracker .. what about you ? Did you try to attend a ceremony today?

Moura

Aug 17, 2021
Just received a ghost update on my tracker .. what about you ? Did you try to attend a ceremony today?
Yes, the same, the tracker has been updated today November 16 but nothing reflect the update. I think it may take 2 to 4 days to reflect on the tracker.

Moura

Aug 17, 2021
Also tried to call IRCC but can’t reach the agent. So will try to call them tomorrow in the morning early.

Reactions: nifa87

Jjckanadian

Sep 12, 2023
I will suggest we make a collective complain about it either through the media or peaceful protest! This is unfair and very wrong!
All reviews and audit should be completed before sending oath date and congratulatory messages and if Ircc have to cancel for any reason then there should be a detailed explanation on why it was cancelled not just a vague message “administrative error”
This “error” seems to be happening in GTA only.
If we form an alliance and channel complain to Cbc or maybe Queens Park this will be resolved and it will also helped others behind us… I wish I can take the lead I don't know how, will need everyone support
Anyone interested?

Albert Frolov

Sep 12, 2023
I will suggest we make a collective complain about it either through the media or peaceful protest! This is unfair and very wrong!
All reviews and audit should be completed before sending oath date and congratulatory messages and if Ircc have to cancel for any reason then there should be a detailed explanation on why it was cancelled not just a vague message “administrative error”
This “error” seems to be happening in GTA only.
If we form an alliance and channel complain to Cbc or maybe Queens Park this will be resolved and it will also helped others behind us… I wish I can take the lead I don't know how, will need everyone support
Anyone interested?
Great idea, one can write to, say, Kristin Annable from CBC or somebody like her and tell our story in the name of all present here.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Considering what is best for me might not be about what's best generally . . .
. . . (encouraging a perspective outside the narcissistic bubble)​

All reviews and audit should be completed before sending oath date . . .
This is not possible. ALL scheduled oaths are to some extent contingent. At the least, after scheduling the oath and before the oath is actually taken, there must be another background clearance done, a GCMS check which includes criminal history name-record review/screening (at least name-record data based on RCMP and U.S. NCIC/FBI databases) . . . which might not be done until right before the oath. Remember, the grant of citizenship remains contingent on no prohibitions right up to when the oath is taken -- for example, a domestic assault charge or arrest for driving while impaired the night before, or even the morning of the day the oath is scheduled, will preclude taking the oath.

Moreover, to be filed under "be careful what you wish for . . . "
. . . this would likely delay the oath for a large number of applicants.​

Apart from the background screening that must be done between scheduling the oath and actual administration of the oath (for all applicants), for some significant percentage of applicants there are various reasons why the oath may be scheduled subject to some additional step, so actually taking the oath is contingent or conditional. We don't know what percentage of those scheduled for the oath, among these applicants whose taking the oath is contingent or conditional, will generally still take the oath as scheduled versus those who will suffer cancellation. The probability is that the number who generally proceed to take the oath (condition or contingency resolved) is not just higher but a lot higher than the number whose oath is cancelled. Revising procedures to eliminate (as much as possible) contingent or conditional scheduling of oaths will have the impact of postponing the oath for ALL such applicants.

So, yes, that could in effect avoid the disappointment a smaller number will incur because of cancellations, but that will be at the expense of delaying the oath for many others. I suspect those whose oath is delayed, just to reduce the risk a small number of oaths are cancelled, will adamantly oppose such changes.

That is, many (if not nearly everyone) will prefer to be scheduled to take the oath SOONER even if there is a small risk they could be among those who end up disappointed by having their oath cancelled.

***Outside Canada exceptions -- see below

. . . and if Ircc have to cancel for any reason then there should be a detailed explanation on why it was cancelled not just a vague message “administrative error”
IRCC's use of generic and boilerplate communications is indeed problematic; it is probably a gross understatement to describe this as tending toward excessive use.

And it is particularly troublesome given the high percentage of clients for whom English (or French) is their second or third language, for whom complex communications based on templates steeped in boilerplate, and typically covering a range of alternative situations the client must sort through and figure out which applies to them, can be quite difficult to navigate despite being fluent in English (or French). Indeed, even though English is my first and primary language, and I am a professional writer and editor, with well over a quarter century of experience in publishing encyclopedic treatises about the law, in English, I more than occasionally encounter IRCC communications that pose significant difficulty figuring out just what it says. And yes, vagueness tends to be a big part of the problem.

That said, the *fix* can often be worse than the *cure* and especially so in terms of the cost-benefit impact. This probably looms especially large in this context, where the more or less generic notice of cancellation is what the client really needs to know, and that can be accomplished by sending a non-specific communication which should take a processing agent no more than a minute or so, at most, to execute. In contrast, to prepare individualized communications with details specific to the individual, that would add a considerable amount of time to each and every affected applicant, adding up . . . and given the very limited number of agents doing this work, this would likely contribute to further delays in processing timelines for all applicants.

The detailed notice will not accelerate anyone's timeline. At the cost of slowing timelines for many.

The detailed notice will not provide the applicant information they can use to make decisions. (***Outside Canada exceptions -- see below) The generic notice basically says: you need to wait longer. How much longer will vary widely but more detail is not at all likely to illuminate much at all about how much longer.

And even if IRCC implemented a more detailed notice, the boundaries for what IRCC considers confidential information will preclude communicating information which might alert the client that their case is being referred for investigation, let alone any information about what sort of investigation or why.

Media matters . . . but if it ain't sexy, well, it ain't sexy.

May come across as raining on a parade, but sorry, the scheduled but postponed oath story is not likely sexy enough to get much media attention.

***Outside Canada exceptions:

The cancelled, postponed oath situation can have a bigger impact on applicants who are outside Canada pending the process. Since IRCC continues to require applicants to be IN Canada when taking the oath (with uncommon exceptions in extraordinary circumstances), cancellations can impose a significant burden on applicants who must accommodate international travel to participate in the oath, often on short or even very short notice.

The problem is that IRCC is unlikely to give this much consideration, much weight, in its practices and policy decision-making. There does not appear to be much interest in accommodating the applicant who is outside Canada.

cr7777

Oct 11, 2023
Considering what is best for me might not be about what's best generally . . .
. . . (encouraging a perspective outside the narcissistic bubble)​

This is not possible. ALL scheduled oaths are to some extent contingent. At the least, after scheduling the oath and before the oath is actually taken, there must be another background clearance done, a GCMS check which includes criminal history name-record review/screening (at least name-record data based on RCMP and U.S. NCIC/FBI databases) . . . which might not be done until right before the oath. Remember, the grant of citizenship remains contingent on no prohibitions right up to when the oath is taken -- for example, a domestic assault charge or arrest for driving while impaired the night before, or even the morning of the day the oath is scheduled, will preclude taking the oath.

Moreover, to be filed under "be careful what you wish for . . . "
. . . this would likely delay the oath for a large number of applicants.​

Apart from the background screening that must be done between scheduling the oath and actual administration of the oath (for all applicants), for some significant percentage of applicants there are various reasons why the oath may be scheduled subject to some additional step, so actually taking the oath is contingent or conditional. We don't know what percentage of those scheduled for the oath, among these applicants whose taking the oath is contingent or conditional, will generally still take the oath as scheduled versus those who will suffer cancellation. The probability is that the number who generally proceed to take the oath (condition or contingency resolved) is not just higher but a lot higher than the number whose oath is cancelled. Revising procedures to eliminate (as much as possible) contingent or conditional scheduling of oaths will have the impact of postponing the oath for ALL such applicants.

So, yes, that could in effect avoid the disappointment a smaller number will incur because of cancellations, but that will be at the expense of delaying the oath for many others. I suspect those whose oath is delayed, just to reduce the risk a small number of oaths are cancelled, will adamantly oppose such changes.

That is, many (if not nearly everyone) will prefer to be scheduled to take the oath SOONER even if there is a small risk they could be among those who end up disappointed by having their oath cancelled.

***Outside Canada exceptions -- see below

IRCC's use of generic and boilerplate communications is indeed problematic; it is probably a gross understatement to describe this as tending toward excessive use.

And it is particularly troublesome given the high percentage of clients for whom English (or French) is their second or third language, for whom complex communications based on templates steeped in boilerplate, and typically covering a range of alternative situations the client must sort through and figure out which applies to them, can be quite difficult to navigate despite being fluent in English (or French). Indeed, even though English is my first and primary language, and I am a professional writer and editor, with well over a quarter century of experience in publishing encyclopedic treatises about the law, in English, I more than occasionally encounter IRCC communications that pose significant difficulty figuring out just what it says. And yes, vagueness tends to be a big part of the problem.

That said, the *fix* can often be worse than the *cure* and especially so in terms of the cost-benefit impact. This probably looms especially large in this context, where the more or less generic notice of cancellation is what the client really needs to know, and that can be accomplished by sending a non-specific communication which should take a processing agent no more than a minute or so, at most, to execute. In contrast, to prepare individualized communications with details specific to the individual, that would add a considerable amount of time to each and every affected applicant, adding up . . . and given the very limited number of agents doing this work, this would likely contribute to further delays in processing timelines for all applicants.

The detailed notice will not accelerate anyone's timeline. At the cost of slowing timelines for many.

The detailed notice will not provide the applicant information they can use to make decisions. (***Outside Canada exceptions -- see below) The generic notice basically says: you need to wait longer. How much longer will vary widely but more detail is not at all likely to illuminate much at all about how much longer.

And even if IRCC implemented a more detailed notice, the boundaries for what IRCC considers confidential information will preclude communicating information which might alert the client that their case is being referred for investigation, let alone any information about what sort of investigation or why.

Media matters . . . but if it ain't sexy, well, it ain't sexy.

May come across as raining on a parade, but sorry, the scheduled but postponed oath story is not likely sexy enough to get much media attention.

***Outside Canada exceptions:

The cancelled, postponed oath situation can have a bigger impact on applicants who are outside Canada pending the process. Since IRCC continues to require applicants to be IN Canada when taking the oath (with uncommon exceptions in extraordinary circumstances), cancellations can impose a significant burden on applicants who must accommodate international travel to participate in the oath, often on short or even very short notice.

The problem is that IRCC is unlikely to give this much consideration, much weight, in its practices and policy decision-making. There does not appear to be much interest in accommodating the applicant who is outside Canada.
Thanks for this. I had around 80% of the information you shared and I share just around the same perspective. Do you know if hiring a leading lawyer makes a difference; i.e. do these delays break any law or policy you know of?

Strangertide

Nov 17, 2023
Does anyone knows the meaning of below GCSM notes -
Office: Scarborough Citizenship Operations #: Cxxxxxxxxxxx

APPLICATION ASSIGNMENT Due Date:

Assigned By:

Assigned To:

What does Grant Ceremony DF meaning?
All green, oath cancelled on Aug. got the notes today