+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cerb

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It seems if you can apply you will get the CERB regardless of if you qualify, they might ask you to pay it back eventually so if your situation is dire it might be worth it.
All us Canadians will be paying this back forever so can we please agree not to encourage applying fraudulently for the CERB if you know you don’t qualify. Hopefully there will be a penalty if there is rampant fraud.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Well, if you read the act, they basically made it such that even if someone applies knowingly without meeting eligibility and receives it, there is no penalty or fine. They just have to return it back to government at a future date. So, it essentially becomes an interest-free loan.
And if people don’t have savings now when the proverbial has hit the fan, do you actually think they’ll have it when the Government demands payment of benefits paid out when they weren’t eligible ?
They’ll just do audits on people like when post audits are done on people’s returns after a refund is issued . Prove that you qualify . If you don’t enforcement starts . That can range from garnish of peoples wages to freezing of bank accounts , or the withholding of any future tax refunds
They’ll just cross reference SIN #, it’s not hard
As I had mentioned early, the collections department at the CRA are going to be very busy

limits

May 13, 2015
All us Canadians will be paying this back forever so can we please agree not to encourage applying fraudulently for the CERB if you know you don’t qualify. Hopefully there will be a penalty if there is rampant fraud.
Fair enough, not encouraging ineligible people to apply by any means. I was just contending with you that Canadians living abroad who might be in a difficult times are eligible to apply as well.

DO NOT apply for this if you are not eligible since you will have to pay it ALL back to the government later.

And if people don’t have savings now when the proverbial has hit the fan, do you actually think they’ll have it when the Government demands payment of benefits paid out when they weren’t eligible ?
They’ll just do audits on people like when post audits are done on people’s returns after a refund is issued . Prove that you qualify . If you don’t enforcement starts . That can range from garnish of peoples wages to freezing of bank accounts , or the withholding of any future tax refunds
They’ll just cross reference SIN #, it’s not hard
As I had mentioned early, the collections department at the CRA are going to be very busy
Assuming you have the money to pay them back later, it shouldn't be a problem. But of course, you should not be applying if you are ineligible in the first place. Unfortunately, right now they don't have any controls in place to keep ineligible people from applying.

Tbh, my opinion on this is that they implemented it in a stupid way. They should have just given every Canadian a certain amount of dough and been done with it like in the US. This would reduced their workload a lot right now and in the future and made everyone happy. People who are in need get it and so do people who don't need it but at least it's not unfair on anyone that way.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Fair enough, not encouraging ineligible people to apply by any means. I was just contending with you that Canadians living abroad who might be in a difficult times are eligible to apply as well.

DO NOT apply for this if you are not eligible since you will have to pay it ALL back to the government later.

Assuming you have the money to pay them back later, it shouldn't be a problem. But of course, you should not be applying if you are ineligible in the first place. Unfortunately, right now they don't have any controls in place to keep ineligible people from applying.

Tbh, my opinion on this is that they implemented it in a stupid way. They should have just given every Canadian a certain amount of dough and been done with it like in the US. This would reduced their workload a lot right now and in the future and made everyone happy. People who are in need get it and so do people who don't need it but at least it's not unfair on anyone that way.
Nobody has clarified that those abroad qualify for CERB.

sakshikapoor

Apr 25, 2020
Hi. I am an international student and worked part-time at 7-11 in the month of March 2020. But I refused to go to pick up shifts from March 22nd due to fear of Covid19. Apparently my two pay stubs for the two periods from March 14- April 09 are less than $1000 monthly. So I apply for CERB just for that first month period (March 15-April 13) coz after that my income is zero which as I am not going there. I have earned more than $5000 previous year.
Please let me know whether I should have applied for that or not?? If not, how can I call them to stop it as I applied today only???
Please help anyone!!! I would really appreciate.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi. I am an international student and worked part-time at 7-11 in the month of March 2020. But I refused to go to pick up shifts from March 22nd due to fear of Covid19. Apparently my two pay stubs for the two periods from March 14- April 09 are less than $1000 monthly. So I apply for CERB just for that first month period (March 15-April 13) coz after that my income is zero which as I am not going there. I have earned more than $5000 previous year.
Please let me know whether I should have applied for that or not?? If not, how can I call them to stop it as I applied today only???
You stopped working on your own accord , you don’t qualify . You can’t cancel the application. You’d have to send any funds you receive back to the CRA with a note stating it’s a CERB Payment in error

Canada Revenue Agency
CERB
PO Box 3800 STN A
Sudbury ON P3A 0C3

Btw, stop working because you’re fearful of covid Is not a reason to apply based upon the Government’s website. The terms would of been on the site you applied on

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Agree with above. You do NOT qualify and wrongfully claimed the benefit. It was quite clear that choosing not to work was not a reason to claim CERB. You need to pay back what you received.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thankyou for patiently aswering my question!!

I just have two more questions - If I don't go to my one work voluntarilly (still employed but havn't quit) and at the same time works for another company but earns less than $1000 monthly, am i eligible then???

And due to less hours If i make less than $1000 in first month of CERB, am i eligible just for that month??

Please let me know..
NO. You don't get to profit from choosing not to work.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thankyou for patiently aswering my question!!

I just have two more questions - If I don't go to my one work voluntarilly (still employed but havn't quit) and at the same time works for another company but earns less than $1000 monthly, am i eligible then???

And due to less hours If i make less than $1000 in first month of CERB, am i eligible just for that month??

Please let me know..
No. And this is an EMERGENCY measure set up by the Government. STOP trying to manipulate it, to make a monetary gain off it. You’re aware people are dying , Correct ?

Last edited:

sakshikapoor

Apr 25, 2020
No. And this is an EMERGENCY measure set up by the Government. STOP trying to manipulate it, to make a monetary gain off it. You’re aware people are dying , Correct ?
I just wanted to enquire is it right to apply or not and I'm very well aware of how virus is affecting us all.. I'm also stuck with my work and was just wondering to apply or not and not for whole four months as i mentioned coz i don't qualify for the rest three but for one just wanted to verify, that's why i guess this forum is created and you guys are there to help out..

thanks a lot for your generous replies.

uaslam

Apr 22, 2019
I am stuck abroad due to suspension of flights and therefore lost my income. However, still paying rent and bills on my apartment. I did lose my income due to Covid. My flight was cancelled four times and since I am a PR I couldn't get a seat on repatriation flight. I hope I am eligible even though not physically present in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am stuck abroad due to suspension of flights and therefore lost my income. However, still paying rent and bills on my apartment. I did lose my income due to Covid. My flight was cancelled four times and since I am a PR I couldn't get a seat on repatriation flight. I hope I am eligible even though not physically present in Canada.
When did you go abroad? Did you lose your job due to covid or due to not being in Canada? Very tough to say in many situations because there are grey areas.

uaslam

Apr 22, 2019
In Feb. My employer told me he would be temporarily laying me off since business is suspended when I called him in march. I called the CERB help line and lady couldn't help me but did make a comment that it says residing in Canada not physically present. I have to call CRA helpline and wait times are crazy