+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Centennial college or Sheridan college?

merwyn.xavier

Feb 6, 2011
Hi,

I've received offer letters from Centennial college and Sheridan college for the Advertising Management program.

I'm having a tough time selecting between these two colleges..

Centennial College - Duration 12 months = Sem I (4 months) + Sem II (4 months) + Field placement (4 months)

Sheridan College - Duration 9 months = Sem I (4 months) + Sem II (4 months) + Field placement (1 month)

I hope someone can help me make a decision...

Regards,
Merwyn

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I believe the 4 months 'field placement' you are talking about in Centennial is a co-op. Is it correct? Is it mandatory or voluntary co-op?

Co-op programs are usually better than others.

However, this is what I'd recommend (I did the same thing while selecting my own course):

1. Contact the program coordinator of both programs and ask questions (like strength of class, placement opp, co-op placement, average age group, number of international students in the class etc)
2. Contact recent and current graduates of the program and ask them their opinion about the program, as well as things they did not liked in the program.

After talking to few people related to both the courses, you will have a better decision making data and can understand pro-cons of both the program. Best of luck!

Thanks,
GS

merwyn.xavier

Feb 6, 2011
Hi GS,

Thank you for your advice.

In Centennial College, I've to pay tuition for the Placement semester (3rd Sem - Field placement for 4 months) for it to be recognized as a course. The field placement hours are part of the program and contribute to the mandatory hours required to complete the program.

I'm in touch with the Program coordinator at Centennial College. I'll ask him the questions as told by you

Any tips on How to get in touch with the current students / Alumni?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Merwyn

GS_Stud

Apr 6, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
merwyn.xavier said:
Any tips on How to get in touch with the current students / Alumni?

Thanks again.

Regards,
Merwyn
Merwyn,

Use social forums such as LinkedIn (very imp) and Facebook to find out alumni groups, and individual people who have graduated with this program and current students. Then you can request them to share some information about the program and their experience.

I'd talked to program coordinator, several graduates and current students of the program I was interested in. Now I'm 100% sure of my decision and there is not even a single iota of doubt left in my mind.

Had I not contacted them, I'd have always been thinking about my decision. I'm glad that I did and would encourage you to do the same.

This is perhaps the biggest decision of your life so make it a calculated one. See when we go on to buy a Rs 100 slipper, we go to several shops before making our choice. Here we are talking about your life so please do get as much information as you can about the two choices.

Thanks,
GS

merwyn.xavier

Feb 6, 2011
Hi GS,

You're right, its a very big decision for me..

I'm more inclined towards Centennial College as its for 12 months and I may get a Post-graduate work permit (PGWP) for 12 months whereas in Sheridan College its for 8 months + 1 month optional filed placement after which I may get a PGWP for 8 - 9 months.

I would like to stay back in Canada after my studies and with Centennial I get more time to hunt for a Job / convince my employer to apply for LMO.

Thanks,
Merwyn