+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC - Primary Applicant inland with outland spouse. Entering Canada as Visitor and extending to SOWP

sarvana92

Feb 24, 2020
I applied for PR under CEC class (AOR: December-03-2020), myself as primary applicant and my partner from India as dependent. Recently we applied visitors visa for my wife requesting family reunion exemption and got it approved with authorization letter. Planning for her travel to Canada in the first/second week of April-2020, if her passport gets stamped in time.

Since my PGWP is expiring on Oct-28, We didn't apply for SOWP in the first place. Was worried SOWP wont be approved, because of 6 months or more to expire requirement by IRCC (the estimated processing times were quite long at that time, I think it is better from India now).

Once my wife lands in Canada as visitor, I would like to apply for SOWP. I'm trying to figure out a best way to sequence our applications (BOWP, SOWP and visitors record) to save little processing time and possibly avoid any rejections, any of your advice would mean a lot. I also have some questions,
  • Should I update my wife's country of residence to Canada, once she lands?:Once my wife lands in Canada as visitor, am I supposed to update her address in the PR application to Canadian address? She plans to stay in Canada for 6 months or over, hoping that we get some kind of immigration paperwork in place. SOWP as inland applicant is my primary focus, might as well apply for visitors record extension if required.
    1. At the moment IRCC has put a massive hold on processing PR applications with outland dependents. Is there a possibility for IRCC to consider my spouse with visitor visa in Canada as inland applicant?
  • When should I apply for SOWP to increase the chance for approval, meanwhile avoiding major delays?
    1. Apply SOWP immediately from India (with my PGWP): My PGWP is expiring in about 7 months. Worried with the expiry date >=6 months requirement and delayed processing we may not get SOWP at all. Additionally if she applies from India and travel to Canada on visitors visa later, would that be an issue?
    2. Apply SOWP immediately after she lands in Canada (with my PGWP): Roughly speaking when she lands in Canada, it will be around 200 days for my PGWP to expire. However would doing the application from inland speedup the application or increase the chances for approval?
    3. Apply for BOWP & SOWP together (with my expiring PGWP & CEC application in progress): We wait for 3 months, apply together for my BOWP and SOWP for my wife as dependent. Since my wife will be inland with visitor visa, would that be an issue or good thing for the application? Will applying together help with the processing time?
    4. Apply for SOWP after my BOWP (with my new BOWP & CEC application in progress): We wait for 4-5 months, apply and get my BOWP approved first; then apply for SOWP with my BOWP. The longest time taking process.
If my wife's visitors visa is expiring in any of the above case, will be applying for extension. Which IRCC says 200 days as estimated processing time. With visitors records usually getting 180days to expire, If my wife apply for extension on Oct-20-2021 and get approval after 200 days after, would that mean my wife should have left already?

What is the best option to minimize risk for any potential refusals, and also get SOWP faster for my wife? and what is the worst?
While PR application is in progress and dependent inside Canada on visitors visa, Would it screw up the whole thing if I apply for SOWP on top of it? I will refrain from applying SOWP if so,

I have zero hopes for our PR applications will get approved anytime in 2021 from seeing the current trend. Any of your insight will be really helpful.
Thank very you much in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: jenny28865

sidhi_baat

Star Member
Jan 6, 2021
Hi are you guys still waiting for PR? i am in the same boat and wondering if the visitor visa thing actually works. I would appreciate if you can share some tips. My wp is good for another one year

sidhi_baat

Star Member
Jan 6, 2021
i heard some people are getting virtual landing with similar case. Just curious to know if you guys got too as it's been 6 months