+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC Express Entry / Spousal Factor

jn791

Star Member
Jul 23, 2019
Hey Guys,

So I am currently in the express entry pool under CEC and am awaiting ITA. I will be getting married later this year / next year and my partner is a PR holder.

My question is, can I still be eligible/take the express entry route and claim points from my spouse after getting married (if in the case that I am still awaiting ITA) or take the spousal sponsorship route?

Is there any real difference?

Thank you in advance for any input

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If your spouse is a PR and resident in Canada, you can claim points, or you can choose to be sponsored. There's no real difference in the outcome (you become a PR either way), but Express Entry can sometimes be faster (3-6 months) than a Spousal Sponsorship (12 months).

Of course if you don't get enough points for EE (currently 460+), then Spousal Sponsorship may be the faster route.

jn791

Star Member
Jul 23, 2019
If your spouse is a PR and resident in Canada, you can claim points, or you can choose to be sponsored. There's no real difference in the outcome (you become a PR either way), but Express Entry can sometimes be faster (3-6 months) than a Spousal Sponsorship (12 months).

Of course if you don't get enough points for EE (currently 460+), then Spousal Sponsorship may be the faster route.
Thank you for the swift response!