+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC eligibility

mckay

Jul 10, 2011
Please I need direction. I came to Canada 2 years ago with an open permit. My wife is a masters degree student. Although I have an Engineering degree from my hoe country, I have been working as a program coordinator for a social service agency here in Canada. I have been in this position for about 1 year and 5 months. In May 2014 I changed my status from worker to student because i obtained admission to do my masters degree. My questions are...
1: Since i have almost 2 years work experience as a full time worker, and presently I am a student...Am i still qualified to apply under CEC?
2: Does my present student status affect my eligibility?
3: Does the fact that I have a degree in Engineering and gained my Canadian experience in the social service industry affect my eligibiltity?

Please i humbly ask for assistance.

Thanks.

Mckay.

ljiljka007

Jan 3, 2013
Mississauga, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014
Doc's Request.
sent PCC for spouse on Oct 20, without request
AOR Received.
06/24/2014
IELTS Request
with application
Med's Request
17-06-2015
Med's Done....
08-07-2015
Passport Req..
30-07-2015
LANDED..........
17-08-2015
mckay said:
Please I need direction. I came to Canada 2 years ago with an open permit. My wife is a masters degree student. Although I have an Engineering degree from my hoe country, I have been working as a program coordinator for a social service agency here in Canada. I have been in this position for about 1 year and 5 months. In May 2014 I changed my status from worker to student because i obtained admission to do my masters degree. My questions are...
1: Since i have almost 2 years work experience as a full time worker, and presently I am a student...Am i still qualified to apply under CEC?
Yes

No

3: Does the fact that I have a degree in Engineering and gained my Canadian experience in the social service industry affect my eligibiltity?
It might, but probably dont. What is noc code for your ocupation? Is there any educational or previous experience requirements for it?

Please i humbly ask for assistance.

Thanks.

Mckay.

open

Star Member
Jun 10, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-apr-2014
AOR Received.
30-apr-2014
Hi,
I have a confusion,I am working as a store manager in NOC 0621 from may 2013,but i am in canada from the last 1 year and 7 months,Am i still eligible for CEC as i have not completed 3 years in canada.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
open said:
Hi,
I have a confusion,I am working as a store manager in NOC 0621 from may 2013,but i am in canada from the last 1 year and 7 months,Am i still eligible for CEC as i have not completed 3 years in canada.
You need to complete 1 year of skilled job (NOC O, A, or B) only. You're eligible for CEC.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
mckay said:

As long as you have one year of full time work BEFORE you changed to student status, and it is within the 3 years preceding your application submission, then yes, you are still eligible...

No, but it does make the current experience (since becoming a student) invalid (meaning, you can't "count' it). But it sounds like you have enough experience anyway.

Probably not, but it would depend on the NOC and the quality of your documentation... if there's anything suspicious or "fishy," the difference may add to the suspicion..

puja78

Jun 23, 2014
Hey guys,

I am not sure if I qualify for the CEC as I am doing 2 jobs 1 part time and 1 full time but in January and February I had taken a couple of weeks off(without paid) at one job and just worked part time at the other.However, I did work other weeks as full time job and the part time as well.

Will those weeks that I worked part time count towards my CEC?

What happens about the hours that I work extra in the weeks that I did over time?

Is there any one in the same situation as me?

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
puja78 said:
Hey guys,

I am not sure if I qualify for the CEC as I am doing 2 jobs 1 part time and 1 full time but in January and February I had taken a couple of weeks off(without paid) at one job and just worked part time at the other.However, I did work other weeks as full time job and the part time as well.

Will those weeks that I worked part time count towards my CEC?

What happens about the hours that I work extra in the weeks that I did over time?

Is there any one in the same situation as me?
Full time week (according CIC) is 30 hours. Nothing above this hours counts. So if you work let's say 40 hours, you can still count 30 hours only (1full time week) only. Take that as a fact.
The hours in your part time weeks (less than 30 per week) also count. Just calculate all those hours in the part time weeks together and divide by 30. This way you'll get number of full time weeks 'made' of your part time weeks. Hope this helps.

Deedle

Star Member
May 5, 2014
nov1061 said:
Full time week (according CIC) is 30 hours. Nothing above this hours counts. So if you work let's say 40 hours, you can still count 30 hours only (1full time week) only. Take that as a fact.
The hours in your part time weeks (less than 30 per week) also count. Just calculate all those hours in the part time weeks together and divide by 30. This way you'll get number of full time weeks 'made' of your part time weeks. Hope this helps.
I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU. You have clearly explained the part time hours equivalent better than anyone else I've seen. You've put my mind at ease about my own eligibility.

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
Deedle said:
I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU. You have clearly explained the part time hours equivalent better than anyone else I've seen. You've put my mind at ease about my own eligibility.
You're welcome. Happy, I could help.

puja78

Jun 23, 2014
Guys I am just falling short of 1.5 weeks for the 52 weeks needed before my PGWP expires...any suggestions?

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
puja78 said:
Guys I am just falling short of 1.5 weeks for the 52 weeks needed before my PGWP expires...any suggestions?
You'll need to find a work permit to bridge that gap. How you tried asking your work if they'll sponsor a work permit? They've changed the rules but previously you didn't need to advertise if you were employing someone on a pgwp (again, that might have changed last week and it might be best asking rhetoric foreign worker section of this board.

Alternatively you could look at the Provincial nominee program in your area, you may be eligible for PR through there and could apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit if the timing is right.

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
puja78 said:
Is your PGWP maxed out? What was the duration of your studies and how long was the PGWP's validity?

puja78

Jun 23, 2014
My duration of the course was 1 year, and PGWP also 1 year but I got a job exactly on the same day my PGWP was issued....but still fall short because of my own holiday which went unpaid.

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
puja78 said:
My duration of the course was 1 year, and PGWP also 1 year but I got a job exactly on the same day my PGWP was issued....but still fall short because of my own holiday which went unpaid.
In that case TheAwesomeMatt's advice above would be the right answer.

puja78

Jun 23, 2014
guys PNP is not possible at this time and the work permit is also out of question, as the LMO rules have changed drastically.