+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC application from Quebec 2021

Alghali11

Mar 4, 2019
I have got ITA to apply through CEC based on 1 year working experience from Montreal, now I am wondering between two options to show my intentions to leave Quebec
1- move to another province and have a mailing address there while keeping the same employment status in Montreal because I can work remotely and prove it (preferred to me) so I can get back to Montreal easily if I get my PR
2- ask for transfer from the company to one of their offices outside Quebec but I will need to stay there for at least 1.5 years based on my company decision
option 2 is less favourable for me but I would go for it if option A is not enough /risky
any advice ?

Last edited:

CripplingYogi194

Jul 29, 2018
I have got ITA to apply through CEC based on 1 year working experience from Montreal, now I am wondering between two options to show my intentions to leave Quebec
1- move to another province and have a mailing address there while keeping the same employment status in Montreal because I can work remotely and prove it (preferred to me) so I can get back to Montreal easily if I get my PR
2- ask for transfer from the company to one of their branches outside Quebec but I will need to stay there for at least 1.5 years based in my company decision
option 2 is less favourable for me but I would go for it if option A is not enough /risky
any advice ?
number 1 is risky as it does not prove you wont go back to quebec afterwards

Narayan Mani

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
08-11-2020
If you are working from home, you need to prove it through official documents.
In that case, you have to prove that you are residing in a different province, not just with address, but also supported with provincial photo IDs, health cards, utility bills (home internet/hydro, which are immovable utilities).
They might also call up your employer anytime to verify that all information given by you regarding this interprovincial arrangement is legit.
Even after all this, it really depends on the immigration officer. I was in a case where I'm an Ontario resident working from home but my employer is in Quebec. In my GCMS notes, there's a detailed description of the officer cross-referencing every single document and using a phrase- "on the balance of probabilities the applicant meets requirements."

penn302

Star Member
Apr 15, 2021
If you are working from home, you need to prove it through official documents.
In that case, you have to prove that you are residing in a different province, not just with address, but also supported with provincial photo IDs, health cards, utility bills (home internet/hydro, which are immovable utilities).
They might also call up your employer anytime to verify that all information given by you regarding this interprovincial arrangement is legit.
Even after all this, it really depends on the immigration officer. I was in a case where I'm an Ontario resident working from home but my employer is in Quebec. In my GCMS notes, there's a detailed description of the officer cross-referencing every single document and using a phrase- "on the balance of probabilities the applicant meets requirements."
Thanks for sharing! Same situation as you. We prove it with new residential lease, my partner's new job offer (actually she never managed to find a job in QC, but my employer is still in QC). We both graduated in the current province. Not sure it will be sufficient....

penn302

Star Member
Apr 15, 2021
Hi I moved to another province and provided documents like new lease and document from my employer that I am a remote worker from another province and I have got my PR Card in September
Thank you for the information! Glad it worked out

NeverOnTime44

Dec 18, 2021
Hi I moved to another province and provided documents like new lease and document from my employer that I am a remote worker from another province and I have got my PR Card in September
Did you apply for your SIN with your new address? Are you still planning to move back to Montreal?

asiqur

Dec 8, 2021
I am a CEC applicant from Québec too. Is it mandatory to provide proof of moving out from the province? I am currently living Québec as a temporary worker on a time bound contract with a work permit expiring next year.

Narayan Mani

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
08-11-2020
I am a CEC applicant from Québec too. Is it mandatory to provide proof of moving out from the province? I am currently living Québec as a temporary worker on a time bound contract with a work permit expiring next year.

The CEC Eligibility page says this-

Where you can live in Canada
You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information.

When you fill out your profile, we’ll ask you where you plan to live in Canada. You don’t have to settle in that province or territory.
So, it never mentions that you have to move out. They just want to see that you don't intend to live there. Unfortunately, if you are already living in Quebec, it raises a lot of questions that you might have to clarify through valid paperwork at the time of submitting documents. In many cases, immigration officers ask for additional documents to substantiate your claim. In many cases, they refuse straight away without asking for additional documents.

Reactions: asiqur

asiqur

Dec 8, 2021
The CEC Eligibility page says this-

So, it never mentions that you have to move out. They just want to see that you don't intend to live there. Unfortunately, if you are already living in Quebec, it raises a lot of questions that you might have to clarify through valid paperwork at the time of submitting documents. In many cases, immigration officers ask for additional documents to substantiate your claim. In many cases, they refuse straight away without asking for additional documents.
That’s right. Let’s see what IRCC has to say in my case? Thanks for your time and response.