+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CCB and living outside of the country

limo897

May 21, 2024
Hi, I would like to get some help regarding the CCB recent decision to stop the CCB payment for my 2 kids.

I am a Canadian citizen lived in Canada before Nov 2022. I moved to Spain for work along with my family. I have been declaring my world wide income for 2023 and i think i do have significant ties with Canada. i.e parents still in Canada, I have my primary resident rented out. I still contribute to TSFA and RRSP... I still use my canadian credit card abroad. and I am planning to go back to Canada when kids needs to go to primary school. My wife is not Canadian and doesnt not have status in Canada she stayed in Canada with me on a visitor Visa and i just kept extending it before we went to Spain.

I have applied for the Beckham law in Spain which mean im only taxed at flat 24%. but I have to pay the difference in Canada.

Do i have a case here for CRA to reverse that decision? if not, why I am paying for taxes in Canada maybe I should go for non-resident?

What are you suggestions?

Thanks

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi, I would like to get some help regarding the CCB recent decision to stop the CCB payment for my 2 kids.

I am a Canadian citizen lived in Canada before Nov 2022. I moved to Spain for work along with my family. I have been declaring my world wide income for 2023 and i think i do have significant ties with Canada. i.e parents still in Canada, I have my primary resident rented out. I still contribute to TSFA and RRSP... I still use my canadian credit card abroad. and I am planning to go back to Canada when kids needs to go to primary school. My wife is not Canadian and doesnt not have status in Canada she stayed in Canada with me on a visitor Visa and i just kept extending it before we went to Spain.

I have applied for the Beckham law in Spain which mean im only taxed at flat 24%. but I have to pay the difference in Canada.

Do i have a case here for CRA to reverse that decision? if not, why I am paying for taxes in Canada maybe I should go for non-resident?

Thanks
Ask the Spaniards to fork out money for your kids..

Reactions: Copingwithlife

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks
The whole point of CCB is to help residents with the cost of raising children. Have you asked CRA to determine your residency status because you don’t actually seem to have strong ties to Canada? Having parents in Canada would not be considered a significant tie only a spouse and dependent children would be considered and typically a home that you are renting out also not considered a significant tie. Doubt having a Canadian credit card would also affect your residency status. You may actually be a non-resident already and should not have been receiving CCB for all of 2023.