+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBSA report- Access to Information Act or Privacy Act?

last.fortune.last

Apr 15, 2014
For the citizenship, which one I should select for the CBSA report:
Access to Information Act or Privacy Act?

If I select Access to Information Act, that is $5. what is the difference?

Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
last.fortune.last said:

Thanks
Go for privacy act, its free. It will provide you CBSA entry records. This is what is suggested by many forum members.

ronin21

Jul 17, 2014
last.fortune.last said:

Thanks
there is no difference, these are two different ACTS to give you a right to access same information. It will not affect the information you will get so of course most if not all will choose privacy act.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
last.fortune.last said:

Thanks
Access to Information Act is used for getting information on someone else other than yourself and it cost $5. However you will still need permission from the other person to get information.
For example. You are getting information for your spouse. You will need permission from your spouse to grant you access and allow them to release information to you and you pay $5.00

Privacy Act is used for getting information on yourself only and it's free.

pardesifr

Jul 19, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2013
AOR Received.
March 2013
File Transfer...
To London in 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 2013
Passport Req..
July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 2015
screech339 said:
Access to Information Act is used for getting information on someone else other than yourself and it cost $5. However you will still need permission from the other person to get information.
For example. You are getting information for your spouse. You will need permission from your spouse to grant you access and allow them to release information to you and you pay $5.00

Privacy Act is used for getting information on yourself only and it's free.
I choose privacy act, at the end for attachment it said optional, do we need to attach any document ? or just click submit ?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
pardesifr said:
I choose privacy act, at the end for attachment it said optional, do we need to attach any document ? or just click submit ?
You should submit documents to prove you are canadian / PR. Without submitting any proofs of your immigration status or identity, you could be at risk of being denied to process the request.

pardesifr

Jul 19, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2013
AOR Received.
March 2013
File Transfer...
To London in 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 2013
Passport Req..
July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 2015
screech339 said:
You should submit documents to prove you are canadian / PR. Without submitting any proofs of your immigration status or identity, you could be at risk of being denied to process the request.
I didn't attached any documents. Today i got called from CBSA, i was worried why they called me, but in fact they were asking what information I need as I haven't indicated that in comment box, I told them Entry/Exit and they asked for which period. And then they said they will try to do it in a week and or 2. I am amazed by their quick service and especially they called.

So when you apply for notes do put in comment box at the end, what information you are requesting and for which period (like last 5 years)

lenium

Dec 2, 2014
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do we have to provide passport numbers or will they do their search based on name? I have had two different passports during my period of interest. Will they be able to find the entries just by my name?

Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
lenium said:
Do we have to provide passport numbers or will they do their search based on name? I have had two different passports during my period of interest. Will they be able to find the entries just by my name?

Thanks
Please upload the biographical pages of your passport's copy of both the passports while submitting ATIP and then they can search it using your passport numbers.
You can also mention the passport numbers in ATIP request along with the uploaded versions.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
wanabecanadian said:
How quickly can one get a CBSA report in any format (electronic or not).. whats the fasted time to get a report?
It takes 30 calendar days to process and 5-10 business days for paper mail delivery. They don't deliver it electronically.