+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Case Processing Pilot -Ottawa Processing Times

Hunt71

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
computergeek said:
"Don't call us, we'll call you..."

Wait time seems to depend upon a number of factors:

- The time for first stage approval (sponsor approval)
- If your file's original transfer was to CPP-O, you are on the best possible track.
- If your file's original transfer was to Buffalo and then re-transferred to CPP-O, you are in a processing backlog
- The complexity of your file and any potential issues. For example, roysingh has two negative factors - first, the extended background checks (there was a partial RCMP match, which required a fingerprint based RCMP report to ensure criminal admissibility) and then second being caught in the Buffalo transfer mess, which means being relegated to the Buffalo transfer backlog

In your case, it would seem you had a very long sponsor approval process (almost 6 months) which means that your 10 month clock has just started.

For March filers we actually "lucked out" although at the time the 45 to 90 days stage 1 approval jump didn't look like "luck". This means that March 2012 applicants were the first to be sent directly to CPP-O for the normal processing stream. February cases appear to have been transferred to Buffalo and then to CPP-O so they are stuck in the backlog.

For my application it was 3.5 months for sponsor approval (application arrived 6 March, sponsor approved 21 June) and then 3 months for applicant approval (first March applicant approved from CPP-O according to the March spreadsheet, in fact) but as I've mentioned before there were unusual circumstances in my case. Still, other March people were receiving passport requests (PPRs) within a week or two of my own PPR.

Thanks ComputergeeK;

My file went directly to Ottawa. So I know it should be a matter of time before I hear something back about my wife being approved hopefully. I assume they email the sponsor or do they call you?

roysingh

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
Hey Computergeek, your so knowledgeable, I think you should be a immigration lawyer. I had a few questions for you based on your example below.

For example, roysingh has two negative factors - first, the extended background checks (there was a partial RCMP match, which required a fingerprint based RCMP report to ensure criminal admissibility) and then second being caught in the Buffalo transfer mess, which means being relegated to the Buffalo transfer backlog'''

1) What does it mean there was a partial RCMP match ? Like the name matched with someone else with the same name ? I sent an FBI Clearance as part of my packet but then they asked for RCMP fingerprints be mailed and processed by RCMP. I have never been arrested for even a minor crime.

2) The buffalo transfer has been a major mess. I've asked my father in law to follow up with the MP in Edmonton. Cases from Jan - July 2012 have been getting approved while other sit and wait.

3) Also, the only thing that I can think of that might have held up my case is that they asked for a birth certificate from India. I was able to provide back up documentation including affidavits of my birth, etc. but I did not have my birth certificate to provide to them. Maybe they have to check with local officials in India to verify my birth ? I am Naturalized U.S. Citizen and my wife is a Canadian citizen and she is also permanent resident of the US as well.

4) Lastly, I wanted some advice from you. I am visiting Edmonton in Dec for Christmas. A CIC rep emailed me on 10/17/2012 that I should hear from them within the next 2 months. I am concerned that they might asked for my passport right before my trip comes up or during my trip. When they email you, how much time do you have to get them the passport ? Also, should I notify them about my trip so they don't ask for my passport at that time ? Also, since I will need to find a job and sell my home. If they do approve my passport before the trip, can I use that trip to land, apply for my social insurance number and fly back to the US and stay there till I find my job and sell the home and then fly back to Canada. Basically, when I land in Canada as a Permanent Resident, do I need to stay there for a certain length of time ?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
roysingh said:
1) What does it mean there was a partial RCMP match ? Like the name matched with someone else with the same name ? I sent an FBI Clearance as part of my packet but then they asked for RCMP fingerprints be mailed and processed by RCMP. I have never been arrested for even a minor crime.
Based upon your name and DOB they found someone else that was sufficiently similar that they needed a copy of your finger prints to ensure you were not that individual. It could have been someone with exactly the same name and DOB, in fact. Thus, RCMP was not able to provide them with a personal clearance from you based upon your name and DOB information. It isn't that you did anything wrong, it is just that someone with your name and birth date did, so they want to make sure that you aren't that person.

The absence of your birth certificate likely made it more complicated as well, since they would then just be doing a name search.

roysingh said:
2) The buffalo transfer has been a major mess. I've asked my father in law to follow up with the MP in Edmonton. Cases from Jan - July 2012 have been getting approved while other sit and wait.
Yes. By itself this would have been a factor, but in combination with the other things you've described you definitely will be outside the 80% processing time case.

roysingh said:
3) Also, the only thing that I can think of that might have held up my case is that they asked for a birth certificate from India. I was able to provide back up documentation including affidavits of my birth, etc. but I did not have my birth certificate to provide to them. Maybe they have to check with local officials in India to verify my birth ? I am Naturalized U.S. Citizen and my wife is a Canadian citizen and she is also permanent resident of the US as well.
Any time they ask for something, it adds time to the process. Plus, not being able to provide them with the document they requested means that it requires special review - so now it moves to the desk of someone very senior who can review and approve of the exception.

roysingh said:
4) Lastly, I wanted some advice from you. I am visiting Edmonton in Dec for Christmas. A CIC rep emailed me on 10/17/2012 that I should hear from them within the next 2 months. I am concerned that they might asked for my passport right before my trip comes up or during my trip. When they email you, how much time do you have to get them the passport ? Also, should I notify them about my trip so they don't ask for my passport at that time ? Also, since I will need to find a job and sell my home. If they do approve my passport before the trip, can I use that trip to land, apply for my social insurance number and fly back to the US and stay there till I find my job and sell the home and then fly back to Canada. Basically, when I land in Canada as a Permanent Resident, do I need to stay there for a certain length of time ?
I've heard of PPR requests that provide as little as 15 days and as long as 60 days. But if you cannot comply with that date, you can request permission to extend the deadline and they would normally grant it. In my case I had travel scheduled 3 weeks from the day I received my PPR. I sent them my passport (LA requested my actual passport) and a copy of my upcoming travel itinerary, as well as an overnight USPS express mail envelope so my passport could be returned to my company's US office (the alternative was first class mail to Canada). I explained all this in my cover letter. They issued the confirmation of permanent residency (COPR) exactly two weeks after the PPR date and I had all my paperwork back 4 days prior to my departure date.

If your PPR comes from CPP-O, however, they seem to accept copies of your passport (or in some cases just copies of your bio page). So you likely would not be inconvenienced in any case.

Once you have your COPR, you can land up to the expiration date of that document (generally the soonest of your medical expiration or your passport expiration). Once you land, you could turn around and immediately leave Canada. There is no minimum required. You are, however, subject to the residency obligation.

It took me about 15 minutes to obtain my SIN at Service Canada.

roysingh

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
Hey Computer Geek, thank you so much for taking the time to answer all my questions!! I appreciate it. Best of luck to you in your endeavors in Canada.