+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Carrying Settlement funds

Sk_immi

Oct 19, 2014
Dear Friends,

We are family of 3, traveling on PR visa this month.. we have confusion of settlement funds which we have shown $18097 in the account these are still available.. Do we must have to carry this cash as it was a requirement during the process... please your help will be relieving for us...

RomanSPb

Jul 19, 2014
Calgary, AB, Canada
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-JUL-2014
AOR Received.
01-DEC-2014
Med's Request
12-FEB-2014
Med's Done....
20-FEB-2014
Passport Req..
26-MAR-2014
LANDED..........
26-10-2015
Sk_immi said:
Dear Friends,

We are family of 3, traveling on PR visa this month.. we have confusion of settlement funds which we have shown $18097 in the account these are still available.. Do we must have to carry this cash as it was a requirement during the process... please your help will be relieving for us...
Hello,

You can make an account statement to demonstrate the amount of money available when required. However, I'm not sure which way would be the easiest option to actually bring the money there: either a bank transfer, or something else. Most of my friends opted to travel checks (e.g. American Express).

samuels34

Jan 14, 2015
I'm looking for a method to carry settlement funds that is risk free. I shall be traveling alone soon, to be joined by my young family later. If something happens to me on the way (e.g. plane accident), I would like my wife to be able to get the 15-16k back.

I will carry some cash - maybe 2-3k, not more than that.

Scotiabank account from here in India - can anyone suggest, if i transfer around 10k to a newly created account in my name at this bank, and in case of any untoward event, can my wife get the money back? If there is a provision of nominating a spouse, then this seems to be a safe option.

Travellers cheque/DD - same question. Can I somehow nominate my wife?

I would be grateful if someone could reply.

mwrooney

Aug 31, 2014
You need to carry the minimum amount.

If you are travelling alone that you must carry minimum funds required by 1 person as per CIC.

If you are travelling with your wife, then you must carry minimum funds required by 2 persons as per CIC.

On the other hand, you must have Bank Statement with you to show the Required POF [Should meet the minimum criteria] whether you are travelling alone or with your wife.

dreamer48

Mar 29, 2015
mwrooney said:
You need to carry the minimum amount.

If you are travelling alone that you must carry minimum funds required by 1 person as per CIC.

If you are travelling with your wife, then you must carry minimum funds required by 2 persons as per CIC.

On the other hand, you must have Bank Statement with you to show the Required POF [Should meet the minimum criteria] whether you are travelling alone or with your wife.
Hello mwrooney ,

Are you sure about it , that we can show Bank Statement as Proof of funds as i am also travelling alone and my family will come after 6 months , i am planning to carry $10,000 with me and for remaining as Bank Statement .

mwrooney

Aug 31, 2014
dreamer48 said:
Hello mwrooney ,

Are you sure about it , that we can show Bank Statement as Proof of funds as i am also travelling alone and my family will come after 6 months , i am planning to carry $10,000 with me and for remaining as Bank Statement .
Bank of Statement + Cash/Traveler Cheque/Demand Draft of the minimum amount.

Minimum Amount Depends on the number of Persons.

Based on the experience of 5 persons landed in June/July 2015, The Officer at the POE Immigrant Facility only inquire about how much funds are you carrying and didn't ask them to show POF.

But my advice, Prepare for the worst scenario.

mwrooney

Aug 31, 2014
How much money should you bring?
It is a good idea to research how much it costs to live in the place where you plan to settle in Canada.

Bring as much money as you can to make moving and finding a home in Canada easier. Note, however, that Canadian customs regulations require you to declare if you are bringing more than C$10,000 into Canada. If you do not tell them, you may be fined or put in prison. These funds could be in the form of:

cash
documents that show property or capital payable to you (such as stocks, bonds, debentures, treasury bills, etc.) or
documents that guarantee payment of a set amount of money, which are payable to you (such as bankers’ drafts, cheques, travellers’ cheques or money orders).

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp