App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Hi everyone! How are you doing? It's been awhile since I have been here on the forums... but it seems that I am need of some of your great advice once again.

I (happily) became a permanent resident of Canada on May 2, 2011, and it has come to the point where I really can't put of the situation with my car any longer (and yes, I know I should have resolved it by now!)

My question is - will it be alright if I import the car to Canada without exporting it? I realize this may mean that I cannot take it back into the states without risking having it impounded. But, if we accept that, can I go ahead and import it?

Because of the 3 business day rule (where it has to stay in the states while they look over my documentation), it has been an absolute thorn in my side to try to figure out how to get it down there for the export. I am completely willing to accept that it will have to stay in Canada if I can just wrap this detail up.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
You have to export it....no choice about that.

The paperwork is all that has to be at the US customs for 72 hours. Your vehicle CAN remain with you in Canada for that time. They do not care where the vehicle is, as long as they have the paperwork, to verify that there is no lien, and that it is yours....

Hubs had his vehicle here, we faxed the title to the border 72 hours in advanced. We crossed into the US, and did some shopping and exported it the same day.

Beware, you may be charged $105 to import it, if it has air conditioning, although some have said they never paid for that.

There is the RIV fee that you do not pay at the border, you pay that either by mail or online. Once they get payment, you then have to go and have it checked out at an authorized place....most likely Canadian Tire. If you are in Ontario, you need to get an e-test and a safety before you can transfer the title over. Another sidenote, if there is another name on the title, you either have to have that person there, or you have to have them fill in and have an affidavit notarized that they give you the vehicle as a one time gift....

Think that is about all we ran into when it came to the vehicle...

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
What do people do who cannot afford to pay off their cars, and cannot afford to sell them because of the amount left on the lien? I just bought my Toyota 2 years ago, new, and it has a huge lien of course.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
You have to get a letter from the lender stating that you have permission to export from the United States and import the vehicle to Canada. Before you do that, make sure you contact the specific border where you will export/import it and ask for clarification on the wording that they are looking for....

Someone had issues because it was not worded exactly how the officer wanted it....

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
Do most lenders do this for you? I've never missed or been late on a payment, and overpay by a small amount each month.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

eeeeeeeelectric said:
Do most lenders do this for you? I've never missed or been late on a payment, and overpay by a small amount each month.
Actually the majority won't, if you default on the payment, then they don't have anything to seize. You can try re-financing it through a Canadian bank.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
quakingaspen said:
Hi everyone! How are you doing? It's been awhile since I have been here on the forums... but it seems that I am need of some of your great advice once again.

I (happily) became a permanent resident of Canada on May 2, 2011, and it has come to the point where I really can't put of the situation with my car any longer (and yes, I know I should have resolved it by now!)

My question is - will it be alright if I import the car to Canada without exporting it? I realize this may mean that I cannot take it back into the states without risking having it impounded. But, if we accept that, can I go ahead and import it?

Because of the 3 business day rule (where it has to stay in the states while they look over my documentation), it has been an absolute thorn in my side to try to figure out how to get it down there for the export. I am completely willing to accept that it will have to stay in Canada if I can just wrap this detail up.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
I have seen only one forum member post that the export office required the car be in the states prior to exportation, but many others have not had that requirement imposed on them. I suspect that officer misinterpreted the 72 hour rule, but who knows). My vehicle was in Canada when I dropped the title at the export office (I was driving partner's car on my way to B'lo to get my visa) back at the end of 2009. I landed that day and several months later drove my car down to export/import. No one asked where the car had been prior to export. BTW, at least at the Lewiston crossing, it is SO MUCH EASIER to actually get to the US export office if you are coming from Canada. See this part of the regulation...

When presented
Exportation by vessel or aircraft. For those vehicles exported by vessel or aircraft, the required documentation and the vehicle must be presented to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export.

Exportation at land border crossing points.

For those vehicles exported by rail, highway, or under their own power.
The required documentation must be submitted to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and
The vehicle must be presented to Customs at the time of exportation.

@eeeeeeeeeeelectric

Before considering refinancing, might want to ask your lender. The requirements for documentation are below.

Section 192.2 Requirements for Exportation

Basic requirements
A person attempting to export a used self-propelled vehicle shall present to Customs, at the port of exportation, both the vehicle and the required documentation describing the vehicle to include the VIN or, if the vehicle does not have a VIN, the product identification number (PIN). Exportation of a vehicle will be permitted only upon compliance with these requirements, unless the vehicle was entered into the United States under an in-bond procedure, a carnet, a Temporary Importation Bond, or under a personal exemption for non-residents who entered the vehicle for a 1-year period.
Documentation required

For U.S. Titled Vehicles
Vehicles issued an original certificate of title. For used, self-propelled vehicles issued, by any jurisdiction in the United States, a Certificate of Title or a Salvage Title that remains in force, the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original.

Where title evidences third-party ownership/claims. If the used, self-propelled vehicle is leased or a recorded lien exists in the U.S., in addition to complying with paragraph (b)(1)(i) of this section, the provisional owner must provide to Customs a separate writing from the third-party-in interest which expressly provides that the subject vehicle may be exported. This writing must be on the third-party's letterhead paper and contain a complete description of the vehicle including the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), the name of the owner or lienholder of the leased vehicle, and the telephone numbers at which that owner or lienholder may be contacted and must bear an original signature of the third-party and state the date it was signed.

Source for the regulation cited: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml

quakingaspen

Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Thank you very much for the information, guys. I have been worried about wrapping up this last loose end for quite awhile.

The website for the Port of Entry I'd be going through says: "Original documents are required at the port a minimum of 72 hours prior to export. Faxed or photocopied documents are not accepted."

Additionally, it has a phone number for that department... So I'll give them a call tomorrow just to verify, and then get on with this.

Thank you again!

quakingaspen

Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Sorry, guys, I have another question.

The car in question was given to me as a gift by my parents. So I don't have a receipt for it. Is that going to be a problem?

I do have the title, which has been changed to my name. I have the registration and the insurance.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
quakingaspen said:
Sorry, guys, I have another question.

The car in question was given to me as a gift by my parents. So I don't have a receipt for it. Is that going to be a problem?

I do have the title, which has been changed to my name. I have the registration and the insurance.
As long as the title is in your name...and there is no lien on it, you should not have any issues whatsoever....they don't need a receipt, they only need a copy of the title faxed to them...

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
quakingaspen said:
Thank you very much for the information, guys. I have been worried about wrapping up this last loose end for quite awhile.

The website for the Port of Entry I'd be going through says: "Original documents are required at the port a minimum of 72 hours prior to export. Faxed or photocopied documents are not accepted."

Additionally, it has a phone number for that department... So I'll give them a call tomorrow just to verify, and then get on with this.

Thank you again!
Some ports (e.g., Lewiston-Queenston) allow you to e-mail the documentation to them so it may be worth asking them about that option when you call tomorrow.