+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

car: export from US / import into Canada

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Does this mean that there is no "proof of export" required for a temporary import in Canada?
Correct. For temporary import in Canada , proof of export from USA is not required.

That is to say that I wouldn't need to declare my car on the US side before crossing the border?
I did not declare my car on USA side.

Also CBP allows using exemption 30.37(q) if the vehicle is going to be out of US for less than a year. But since you were out for more than a year and weren't questioned upon return, I assume they didn't have a way to track the duration?
No sure about this one.

Rex_G

Jun 11, 2017
I was in Canada for 13 months on 2 year ICT work permit. I did not export my car out of USA and I imported my car temporarily in Canada for registration and insurance. When moving car back to USA I showed proof of purchase of Car in USA ( document was 6 years old).

Only mistake I did was that I did not keep copy of my title from USA and was nervous about it while returning to USA however "Proof of Purchase" worked. FYI , there is no concept of title in Canada and SAAQ ( Quebec equivalent of USA DMV) kept Car title. Please ensure you keep a copy of title with you.

Did you need Recall clearance certificate at the border?

arvahsa

Dec 3, 2017
Thanks for all information here. I have few question with similar situation.
1) Can i do permanent export and import later staying in Canada.
2) I know that i can temporally import car for now as visa is valid for next 2 years. What if I would like to Sell that car in CA? what are my options.
3) I am not sure whether i will be back to US or not (Indeed depends on Visa), hence what my option in CA to sell car in case moving to home country.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks for all information here. I have few question with similar situation.
1) Can i do permanent export and import later staying in Canada.
2) I know that i can temporally import car for now as visa is valid for next 2 years. What if I would like to Sell that car in CA? what are my options.
3) I am not sure whether i will be back to US or not (Indeed depends on Visa), hence what my option in CA to sell car in case moving to home country.
2. You cannot
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles-importation-visitors-1334.htm

amitix

Mar 5, 2017
Hello,

I made a post here last year before my move to Canada. I moved to Canada with the plan that I would be going back to the US in about a year. I did not export my car from US and did a temporary import in Canada. Last week my employer submitted my Canadian work permit for renewal for 2 more years and informed me that he is not planning on bringing this position back to the states any time soon.

As per the US laws, a car should be exported if one plans to be out of the country for more than a year. Since it seems like I will be in Canada for much longer than what I had originally anticipated, I am now trying to figure out how can I complete the export procedure from the US.

1. Does anyone know if the export can be done without being in the country?
2. My car now has Ontario license plates and also I no longer have the NJ title because it was submitted at the Ontario MVC when they issued me the Ontario registration. Would I be able to export without a US license plate and title?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

arvahsa

Dec 3, 2017
Before moved to CA from USA based in my research; A work permit holder moving from us to CA can’t permanently import the car. It can be only temp import and later if u have PR or citizenship it can be permanent import.

* this is not a legal advice.

amitix

Mar 5, 2017
Before moved to CA from USA based in my research; A work permit holder moving from us to CA can’t permanently import the car. It can be only temp import and later if u have PR or citizenship it can be permanent import.

* this is not a legal advice.
Not sure if this is correct. I have colleagues who've moved from US to Canada and have done an export and a permanent import in Canada.

tubaiapu

Jul 11, 2018
just saw my old post...

1) you don't need to export your car from the US and import it into Canada if you're going to live in Canada temporarily, but the insurance issue will definitely will be difficult to handle. that's the reason i did the import/export and got a Canadian license plate and drivers license.

2) given that you're going to live in Canada temporarily for less than 3 years, you can temporarily import your car into Canada and not pay the RIV fees, which is what i did.

3) you definitely do not need a broker to do export/import. i exported my car in person from the US (had to stop at the US Customs office, get out of the car, do the paperwork, and exit the US), and imported the car into Canada when i crossed the border -- don't forget to get Form 1 from the Canadian border officer who does your paperwork.
Hi,
I am falling into your category but the only difference is I may not be going back to US with my car and like to permanently Import my Car in Canada and Sale in Canada. I have already exported by Car at US border and I got the Form1 from Canada immigration officer with RIV program exemption. I am in Canada with 1 year Work Permit currently. My Question is what I need to do in order to sale my Car in Canada considering
1. I am having 1 year work permit as of now
2. I have exported from US
3. I have Form1 in Canada
4. I have been exempted for RIV program in Form1

Please guide me how I can sale my Car in Canada?

Thanks in advance

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Hi,
I am falling into your category but the only difference is I may not be going back to US with my car and like to permanently Import my Car in Canada and Sale in Canada. I have already exported by Car at US border and I got the Form1 from Canada immigration officer with RIV program exemption. I am in Canada with 1 year Work Permit currently. My Question is what I need to do in order to sale my Car in Canada considering
1. I am having 1 year work permit as of now
2. I have exported from US
3. I have Form1 in Canada
4. I have been exempted for RIV program in Form1

Please guide me how I can sale my Car in Canada?

Thanks in advance

You have to permanently import it into Canada. You have to enter into the RIV program, unless it is more than 15 years old. In other words, you have to do it all over again. As far as taxes and duties, I think you are going to be on the hook for those also, unless you can get the car entered as settler's effects (which would require you to be setting up a residence in Canada for the first time or after an absence of a year or more) and that would mean you can't sell the car within a year of importing it, if you have benefited from $10,000 reduction in value, without paying the taxes and duties.

sidg

Feb 20, 2020
just saw my old post...

1) you don't need to export your car from the US and import it into Canada if you're going to live in Canada temporarily, but the insurance issue will definitely will be difficult to handle. that's the reason i did the import/export and got a Canadian license plate and drivers license.

2) given that you're going to live in Canada temporarily for less than 3 years, you can temporarily import your car into Canada and not pay the RIV fees, which is what i did.

3) you definitely do not need a broker to do export/import. i exported my car in person from the US (had to stop at the US Customs office, get out of the car, do the paperwork, and exit the US), and imported the car into Canada when i crossed the border -- don't forget to get Form 1 from the Canadian border officer who does your paperwork.
HI, Did you export your car before the temporary import or permanent import?

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Thank you APPNOV2014NY.

Does this mean that there is no "proof of export" required for a temporary import in Canada? That is to say that I wouldn't need to declare my car on the US side before crossing the border?

Also CBP allows using exemption 30.37(q) if the vehicle is going to be out of US for less than a year. But since you were out for more than a year and weren't questioned upon return, I assume they didn't have a way to track the duration?
12 months is only for students, for temporary work permits it’s upto 36 months

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Did you figure this out finally?
Did you get any answer as you asked that question...
I am in similar situation like you as I am already in Canada with car with US number plate.. I did not do any export from USA earlier... i cannot go to USA now, so how do i export car from usa now or how to import it in canada now?

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Did you get any answer as you asked that question...
I am in similar situation like you as I am already in Canada with car with US number plate.. I did not do any export from USA earlier... i cannot go to USA now, so how do i export car from usa now or how to import it in canada now?
You do not need do permanently export the car from US for up to 3 years on work permit. It’s stated clearly on RIV website. If you cross 3 years then you need to permanently import to Canada and export from USA( you would need US tourist visa )
https://www.riv.ca/RIVExemptions.aspx
  1. Temporary Importation
  2. The vehicles are entering temporarily with:
    • visitors, for a period of 12 months or less; temporary residents such as students studying at an institution for their studies in Canada; or individuals with valid work permits for a period of 36 months or less;
U.S. export requirements
U.S. Census and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) require notification a minimum of 72 hours notice prior to export of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States.

The following do not require export notification: all trailers, visitors’ vehicles, and temporary exports