+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian wife living in US sponsoring US husband

hobbes23

Oct 27, 2013
Hello,

My wife is a Canadian citizen who has lived in the the US for 5+ years. I am American. We are putting together an Out PR application.

1) Does my wife (as my sponsor) also need an FBI background check since she has lived in the US so long? Or is just me, the applicant?

2) Do we physically mail the entire application (sponsor + applicant parts) together? Or, do we mail the sponsor portion first by itself?

These boards are a great resource. Thanks for any help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) No - she doesn't.

2) You mail both parts of the application (sponsor & applicant) together to the Mississauga office.

NZ2AB

Oct 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2013
AOR Received.
13-08-2013
File Transfer...
22-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-10-2013
hobbes23 said:
Hello,

My wife is a Canadian citizen who has lived in the the US for 5+ years. I am American. We are putting together an Out PR application.

1) Does my wife (as my sponsor) also need an FBI background check since she has lived in the US so long? Or is just me, the applicant?

2) Do we physically mail the entire application (sponsor + applicant parts) together? Or, do we mail the sponsor portion first by itself?

These boards are a great resource. Thanks for any help.
1) Not sure about this one, but I suspect she will.
2? All of the documents are sent as one complete application. They approve the sponsor section first, then send it to the respective visa office outside of Canada for processing (outland apps only)

sounion

Oct 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
Med's Done....
24-10-2012
Interview........
20-11-2013
LANDED..........
20-11-2013
Hi hobbes23,

Just a note about your wife sponsoring you having lived in the U.S. for 5+ years. The following is pertinent in your case:

If you are a Canadian citizen, you may sponsor a spouse, a common-law partner or conjugal partner, or a dependent child who has no children of his or her own. However, you must demonstrate that you will live in Canada when the sponsored person becomes a permanent resident.
This may be your plan, just wanted to make sure you were informed ;)

Also here is the checklist for the outland application, and there is no security clearances listed under the sponsor checklist: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.pdf

Best of luck to you!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
sounion said:
Hi hobbes23,

Just a note about your wife sponsoring you having lived in the U.S. for 5+ years. The following is pertinent in your case:

This may be your plan, just wanted to make sure you were informed ;)

Also here is the checklist for the outland application, and there is no security clearances listed under the sponsor checklist: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.pdf

Best of luck to you!
Normally the Canadian Sponsor would not need to submit police check with application. However since the sponsor has lived in US for more than 5 years, CIC can still ask for Police Check for the sponsor. It noramlly doesn't happen as I have lived in US for 5 years and I never had a issue. But that doesn't stop CIC from asking me for FBI record if they choose to. I have read a post somewhere that the sponsor was asked to submit a FBI clearance check due to the fact that the Canadian sponsor has lived in US for a long time. I guess CIC wanted to make sure the Canadian Sponsor doesn't have a criminal record in US after living in US for a long time.

Screech339

sounion

Oct 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2012
AOR Received.
17-01-2013
Med's Done....
24-10-2012
Interview........
20-11-2013
LANDED..........
20-11-2013
screech339 said:
Normally the Canadian Sponsor would not need to submit police check with application. However since the sponsor has lived in US for more than 5 years, CIC can still ask for Police Check for the sponsor. It noramlly doesn't happen as I have lived in US for 5 years and I never had a issue. But that doesn't stop CIC from asking me for FBI record if they choose to. I have read a post somewhere that the sponsor was asked to submit a FBI clearance check due to the fact that the Canadian sponsor has lived in US for a long time. I guess CIC wanted to make sure the Canadian Sponsor doesn't have a criminal record in US after living in US for a long time.

Screech339
Hmm. Well if it is something that you might encounter, might as well do it and err on the side of too much information, rather than too little. And FBI checks are $18 for FBI processing, and probably around $20 for fingerprints.

hobbes23

Oct 27, 2013
screech339 said:
Normally the Canadian Sponsor would not need to submit police check with application. ... if they choose to. I have read a post somewhere that the sponsor was asked to submit a FBI clearance check due to the fact that the Canadian sponsor has lived in US for a long time.
Thanks. So I guess, yes, they might ask for it.

Thanks for the help!