+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Tax Filing for Temporary Landing Immigrants

navali

May 23, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi ,

I completed my Permanent Resident landing requirements. I landed on 12 Dec 2014 and left Canada after 1 week on 20 Dec, 2014.

Now what will be the process for me to file Canadian Tax for 2014? Also what about tax on my foreign income?

I tried to search a lot but could not find the exact information so I am very confused... Need your help please...

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
navali said:
Hi ,

I completed my Permanent Resident landing requirements. I landed on 12 Dec 2014 and left Canada after 1 week on 20 Dec, 2014.

Now what will be the process for me to file Canadian Tax for 2014? Also what about tax on my foreign income?

I tried to search a lot but could not find the exact information so I am very confused... Need your help please...
Assuming that you have no clear ties to Canada (i.e., you don't own a house here, you don't have your spouse or children residing here, etc.), you are not a resident of Canada for tax purposes and do not need to file a return for this year.

navali

May 23, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
Assuming that you have no clear ties to Canada (i.e., you don't own a house here, you don't have your spouse or children residing here, etc.), you are not a resident of Canada for tax purposes and do not need to file a return for this year.
Thanks dear for UR reply...that's correct, I don't have house or family in Canada...however I have some other social ties like I have Canada bank account, Credit Card and Driving License... And as per CRA website, this is also considered for filing taxes... So what do u suggest?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
navali said:
Thanks dear for UR reply...that's correct, I don't have house or family in Canada...however I have some other social ties like I have Canada bank account, Credit Card and Driving License... And as per CRA website, this is also considered for filing taxes... So what do u suggest?
Those are secondary ties in terms of importance, so I wouldn't worry about it

sansan

Star Member
Jul 2, 2010
torontosm said:
Hi,

If I have a house, and my spouse and children are staying there.

When do I need to file the tax purposes and where can I find the details, and how to check whether Singapore and Canada had agreemnt to prevent double taxation.

Thanks.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
same question sansan here , i intend to leave my wife for 6 months /year ... would this make me a resident or she should stay the whole year ??

of course i will rent , have a DL and SSN and canadian bank account + my wife would stay for 5-6 months/ years ..

would this mean i should pay tax on my income outside of canada ?? i will only visit from time to time ( 3months a year )

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
cooldoc80 said:
same question sansan here , i intend to leave my wife for 6 months /year ... would this make me a resident or she should stay the whole year ??

of course i will rent , have a DL and SSN and canadian bank account + my wife would stay for 5-6 months/ years ..

would this mean i should pay tax on my income outside of canada ?? i will only visit from time to time ( 3months a year )
Yes, you and your wife would both likely be considered residents for tax purposes and have to declare and pay tax on your global income.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
sansan said:
Hi,

If I have a house, and my spouse and children are staying there.

When do I need to file the tax purposes and where can I find the details, and how to check whether Singapore and Canada had agreemnt to prevent double taxation.

Thanks.
If you have a house, and your family lives here, then you will definitely be qualified as a resident for tax purposes. You need to file your income tax by April 30 of each year. You can Google canada/Singapore tax treaties to learn about which treaties may exist.

sansan

Star Member
Jul 2, 2010
torontosm said:
If you have a house, and your family lives here, then you will definitely be qualified as a resident for tax purposes. You need to file your income tax by April 30 of each year. You can Google canada/Singapore tax treaties to learn about which treaties may exist.
Hi..Thanks for your advice.

1. Where can I get the Tax Form from to file the income Tax.
2. Presently, I am staying / working in Singapore, whereas my spouse / children are in Canada, do we have to file individually (for both of us) in Canada (for my spouse) and myself (in Singapore or Canada or both).
3. How am I to tell the tax authority in Canada / Singapore to prevent double taxation of my income. including stock dividends.

For your info,

1. My family first landed in 12th June 2013 and departed on 20th June 2013, after completing our Landing / SIN card / Bank account etc.

(The year 2013 , I will assume that we are non-resident, and we do not need to file a Income Tax.)

2. We returned on the 18th Oct 2014, and obtained a house for our stay. My spouse and children are still there and whilst I returned to Singapore in November 2014.

3. How or who or should we informed the change of address that differs from our first day of Landing, for the application of our PR card.

Thanks for your kind reply.