+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

Zay11

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
You need:
1. The completed application form (including your guarantor's details, signature, date, and place)
2. Your original certificate of citizenship (which will be scanned and returned to you in person)
3. Your original driver's licence (or Photo ID card), Health ID card, or foreign passport. (i.e. 2 pieces of ID for face/signature/DOB)
4. Two identical Canadian-passport photos taken within the last six months, one must have the photo studio's address/date taken and your guarantor must state this bears true resemblance to <your full name> and they must sign underneath. Second photo needs no special treatment.

You can check the official website and download a copy of the form (Google it) and double check yourself.

Answer 2) Yes, you pay more and you can get express.
thank you!

aalii786

Dec 5, 2023
for a family, do everyone in the family have to go to passport office to apply and submit documents or only one person can go and submit on behalf of everyone

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
for a family, do everyone in the family have to go to passport office to apply and submit documents or only one person can go and submit on behalf of everyone
Not needed.. any one can go on your behalf.. If you are going and you have same address for your spouse on your ID proof like DLand spouse ID and same address on each application of your family, then nothing additional required just take all IDs and your ID along with filled and signed application forms with required documents.

But if it's not same address on your ID then simply get a simple noc/affidavit signed by your spouse.. sample is there on passport website help section.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi, for minor passport application, do we have to take the child with us?
Applying for a child’s passport You can apply for a passport on behalf of a child, if you are: · one of the parents; · the custodial parent in the case of separation or divorce; or · the legal guardian. The applicant is the parent or legal guardian, so the child is not required to be present when submitting the application. Generally, both parents should participate in obtaining passport services for their child and sign the application form.

https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2008/dfait-maeci/FR5-10-2007E.pdf

ThenT

Star Member
Oct 6, 2023
Hi,
I waited for 2 weeks to turn my daughter 16 yrs, (after citizenship ceremony to get the adult passport directly)
Yesterday when I tried to apply Canadian passport for her with Indian passport as ID proof ( name / DOB / signature / photo) the officer refused to accept that as ID proof saying that Indian passports are to be surrendered and not to be taken into proof of ID !!!.
Now I am waiting for the Photo Health Card which we applied 3 weeks ago (after turning 15 and half).
She will be doing her G1 license somewhere shortly and may take time to get the G1 license.
Always I stand out with a unique situation / problem .
Hope this information may be useful for someone.
Tq

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Hi,
I waited for 2 weeks to turn my daughter 16 yrs, (after citizenship ceremony to get the adult passport directly)
Yesterday when I tried to apply Canadian passport for her with Indian passport as ID proof ( name / DOB / signature / photo) the officer refused to accept that as ID proof saying that Indian passports are to be surrendered and not to be taken into proof of ID !!!.
Now I am waiting for the Photo Health Card which we applied 3 weeks ago (after turning 15 and half).
She will be doing her G1 license somewhere shortly and may take time to get the G1 license.
Always I stand out with a unique situation / problem .
Hope this information may be useful for someone.
Tq
Interesting. Maybe the foreign passport as an identity proof clause applies only to dual citizenship paspports

Reactions: ThenT

momoland1069

Jan 16, 2024
I have a guarantor and a reference that lives in Canada, but I have to use another reference living outside of Canada.
I went to the passport office today and the officer kept pressing me to find another reference that lives in Canada. But I seriously don't know anybody else that lives in Canada.
I had to keep stressing that I don't know lots of people in Canada because I always work from home and never saw my co-workers.
Finally the officer reluctantly accepted my application but they made me feel like they will definitely call my references.
I know they were just doing their job but man, why is it so hard to get a passport in Canada.
Even getting a passport in Canada made me feel bad about myself and my lifestyles.
Getting a passport at my original country was easy and quick; there are no guarantor/references required. And we could get the passport in a week (without paying extra).
I don't think even USA needs guarantor/references for passport.

Reactions: ThenT

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
I have a guarantor and a reference that lives in Canada, but I have to use another reference living outside of Canada.
I went to the passport office today and the officer kept pressing me to find another reference that lives in Canada. But I seriously don't know anybody else that lives in Canada.
I had to keep stressing that I don't know lots of people in Canada because I always work from home and never saw my co-workers.
Finally the officer reluctantly accepted my application but they made me feel like they will definitely call my references.
I know they were just doing their job but man, why is it so hard to get a passport in Canada.
Even getting a passport in Canada made me feel bad about myself and my lifestyles.
Getting a passport at my original country was easy and quick; there are no guarantor/references required. And we could get the passport in a week (without paying extra).
I don't think even USA needs guarantor/references for passport.
if you dont mind what is your original country where references were not needed.

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
it's a country in east asia. And I don't remember any country in east asia requires guarantor/references for passport.
I believe the Canadian passport system as well as a few others have it's roots in the UK. From wiki:

"The Canadian passport issuing system is modelled after the United Kingdom, where all first-time passport applications are required to be "countersigned" by a person who has known the applicant for a minimum of 2 years.[26] Australia and New Zealand have similar policies. The use of a guarantor is to serve "as a security measure in the entitlement process and as a point of departure for the future investigation of statements made on the application form".[27] "

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Right, so I'm not quite at this stage yet but should be in the next couple of months (knock on wood), I'm curious to know about my guarantor digitally signing their forms given we live in different cities.

Would this be a problem? Or do we absolutely need pen signatures?

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
Right, so I'm not quite at this stage yet but should be in the next couple of months (knock on wood), I'm curious to know about my guarantor digitally signing their forms given we live in different cities.

Would this be a problem? Or do we absolutely need pen signatures?
I don't know about the forms, but your photos need guarantor signature on the back. So, definitely pen unfortunately.