+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Applying Outside Canada

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,
Once we obtain the citizenship, we get the citizenship certificate, do we have the option of obtaining Canadian citizenship if we are outside Canada??

Scenario - The individual wants to travel back to his country(India) after obtaining citizenship, but renouncing Indian citizenship and applying Candain Passport can be done from India?? Anyone had done this.

Please share your thoughts...

Reactions: Sque

muralie krishna

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020
Dear All,
Once we obtain the citizenship, we get the citizenship certificate, do we have the option of obtaining Canadian citizenship if we are outside Canada??

Scenario - The individual wants to travel back to his country(India) after obtaining citizenship, but renouncing Indian citizenship and applying Candain Passport can be done from India?? Anyone had done this.

My 2 cents will be that with virtual citizenship ceremony becoming the norm obtaining Canadian citizenship while outside of Canada is possible. To renounce the Indian Citizenship i assume you will need Canadian Passport, but please confirm with the experts.

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
Dear All,

Your question is not clear. Did you mean to say," Once you obtain citizenship certificate in Canada, do we have the option of obtaining
Canada passport outside Canada?"
Yes, You can get your Canada passport at the Canada high commission in India and then you can renounce your Indian citizenship in India, no problems with that.
But note that Indian laws forbid use of Indian passport after you have acquired foreign citizenship. Only exception is you are not able to immediately obtain a foreign passport after obtaining foreign citizenship. In that case you can travel to India on your Indian passport and do the rest in India.

In these COVID times, that situation would very well apply.

satya10

Nov 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My 2 cents will be that with virtual citizenship ceremony becoming the norm obtaining Canadian citizenship while outside of Canada is possible. To renounce the Indian Citizenship i assume you will need Canadian Passport, but please confirm with the experts.
Thanks Murali, yes CIC is planning for virtual citizenship, but for that we can be outside the country is the question, need to wait and watch, how does the virtual citizenship takes place, if one can be outside the country for virtual citizenship, then that would be great for the aspirants.

aeropostale

Sep 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

Yes, you can apply for Canadian Passport from outside of Canada if you have the Canadian citizenship certificate. But, keep in mind that you would need a signature of a Canadian passport holder in your passport application form. you'll have to check the canada.ca website on what is the alternative for that and also on any additional documents that they might need.

Another point, you do not need to renounce your Indian passport prior to applying to Canadian Passport.

Even in virtual oath, they make sure you're in Canada. I've read here that a member was asked to validate that he is in Canada, He did not say how though. Made him cut his PR card on camera. They also will not mail the citizenship certificate outside of Canada, just like in the case of the PR card.