+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport application - entirely typed except the Citizenship Certificate number

vatscm

Jun 30, 2017
Hello all,

I filled our Passport applications without waiting for the delivery of Citizenship Certificates and therefore, while I have everything typed in the application (which auto generates the QR code on first page of the PDF), Citizenship Certificate field is empty.

I also got these signed by the guarantor. Will it be okay to fill up the citizenship certificate number by hand, once I get the certificates?
Or will Passport office (or Service Canada) say that either the entire application should be typed (so it can be scanned by them) or entire application should be hand written?

Has anyone been through this? Partially typed, partially handwritten application for Passport?

Please advise.

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Hello all,

I filled our Passport applications without waiting for the delivery of Citizenship Certificates and therefore, while I have everything typed in the application (which auto generates the QR code on first page of the PDF), Citizenship Certificate field is empty.

I also got these signed by the guarantor. Will it be okay to fill up the citizenship certificate number by hand, once I get the certificates?
Or will Passport office (or Service Canada) say that either the entire application should be typed (so it can be scanned by them) or entire application should be hand written?

Has anyone been through this? Partially typed, partially handwritten application for Passport?

Please advise.
You’re overthinking it. You should be fine.

vatscm

Jun 30, 2017
You’re overthinking it. You should be fine.
I do hope the same too. Just that I will send my applications by mail and dont want to be disappointed if they return the applications saying, some info (Certificate Number) is handwritten on on an otherwise typed form.

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

Please advise.
This is a very interesting question actually.

It all will depend on what is captured in the QR Code. If the citizenship cert number is one of those fields - then you might end up in a pickle.

What i would suggest is : scan the QR Code with your phones QR scanner and see what text is captured. (most modern phones will show that.)

I might try to create a sample application and see what is captured.

cecapplied

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

Please advise.
I found a application from before and scanned it, here is the meta data it contains. The first column with the dollar value (eg. $SN) refers to the field value, and the one after that (e.g $<SURNAME>) lists the actual value that you have entered in the surname field of the application..... and so on and so forth

The citizenship cert does not seem to be a part of the QR Code, so, in my highly unqualified opinion, i think you are ok. If i was you, i would have done the way you described.

Hope this helps.

$SN$<SURNAME>
$GN$<GIVEN_NAME>
$DOB$<DATE_OF_BIRTH>
$PB$<PLACE_OF_BIRTH>
$PBC$<PLACE_OF_BIRTH_COUNTRY>
$PBP$<PLACE_OF_BIRTH_PROVINCE>
$SX$<SEX>
$PAN$<PERMANENT_ADDRESS_HOUSE_NUMBER>
$PAS$<PERMANENT_ADDRESS_STREET>
$PAC$<PERMANENT_ADDRESS_CITY>
$PAP$<PERMANENT_ADDRESS_PROVINCE>
$PAPC$<PERMANENT_ADDRESS_POSTAL_CODE>

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Hello all,

Please advise.
IMHO, The QR code is just to avoid re-typing by the agent at office. They scan it and the data will be filled it automatically in their system from paper application, I guess. Just think that you can also fill the application manually, it just increases the work on their side. They want to avoid manual typing mistakes and just want to automate the data entry. You should be good. If they see any missing information, I guess they will just type it. :) I could be wrong though. Don't worry.

smilysmoke19

Star Member
Aug 15, 2020
Hello all,

Please advise.
you should be fine .
Barcodes on passport application forms contain the following fields of information only:

• Surname
  • First Name(s)
  • Surname at Birth
  • Date of Birth
  • Place of Birth (City, Country)
  • Permanent Address
  • Mailing Address

Reactions: Omegabyte

franixsouq

Jun 20, 2014
Hi
I dont have any guarantor so i am using pptc132, wanted to know ,do i have to leave blank , the section 2 in pptc (153 10-2021)154F , and attched the guarantor form pptc132 signed by notary.

Thank you

Last edited: