+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Moving to US

joe_fun

Oct 6, 2009
Hello,

I am a canadian citizen who left last year 2015 to USA as permanent resident, i worked only in Canada in 2015 before i left, I know i need to file canadian taxes to get any refund and also let them know i have left, but every software i downloaded from CRA site to prepare my taxes online doesn't allow me to mention i am no longer a canadian resident and indicate my new US address, do i just print out the returns and add a note that i am no longer a resident for tax purposes in Canada and state my departure date?
does anyone know of a different software, even if i pay, that can be useful besides the free ones i downloaded from CRA site?

Thanks in Advance,

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
You can't use any tax software that files online because NETFILE doesn't allow non-Canadian addresses.

Here's what you could do: Use one of the free products like simpletax.ca and fill out your full tax return with a fake Canadian address. Do NOT file this return online, of course. But in the end you can download all filled forms as a PDF file.

Then download the empty forms from the CRA website, print them and copy all details from the PDF file into the actual forms, using your real address. Then file via mail.

There is a space on the T1 form where you can state that you ceased to be a resident of Canada at some point.