Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Folks,

Need some advice - from fellow Canadians especially!

I am a Canadian citizen who is in the us on CR1 Visa / Green Card. I was in Canada last year for 2 months and then moved to the US. I have no ties with Canada, like I have no house, driver's license swapped, no family, no investment. The only thing I have in Canada right now is a checking account and a credit card, which I don't use. I worked in Canada for 2 months and then started working in the US for the rest of 2014.

I am filing my taxes for Canada for the year 2014, and also US taxes for the year 2014.

However from now on for year 2015, Do i need to file taxes in Canada if I keep living in the US and have nothing changes with my ties to Canada.

I will be filing my US taxes as required, but not sure if I need to file Canadian taxes.

Thanks!

arowberry

Nov 25, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-03-2014
AOR Received.
04-04-2014
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
27-11-2014
You are not a resident of Canada for tax purposes and can consult the following two links:

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/living-abroad/taxation
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/menu-eng.html

singh84a

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO shifted to CVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for the response!

Does that mean in 2016, I do not have to file Canadian taxes for 2015 (provided, I do not go back and earn income or have ties with Canada).

And similarly from 2016 onwards.

Thanks

wayneli

Feb 27, 2015
The links are great information and thanks for sharing! I have another question if I am non-resident for Canada for income tax purposes, do I have to file the non-resident form or as long as the in face I am non-resident for tax purposes I just do nothing and no need to file Canadian tax return if I don't have any Canada income? Thanks!

arowberry said:
You are not a resident of Canada for tax purposes and can consult the following two links: