+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Elementary Schools

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Hi All,

I have a question to the people who can share their experience with the Elementary schools in Canada as compared to the one in US (in case if you moved from USA). I have kids going to the elementary schools right now in the US, when I'll move, what do I need to get them admitted to the equivalent school in Canada? e.g. Shot records or any letter from school board, grade report card, birth certificate etc.

Also, are the schools (public) in Canada better than the US or the same. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

OrangeCounty

Star Member
Dec 24, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had a similar query a couple of months back. Probably this may help you research further.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t13183.0.html

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what I've heard, many ppl in the US are scrambling to send their kids to private schools for a better education and in Canada not so much. From people I've known who had kids in school, they were not complaining. I do not know what paperwork you need to enroll your kids in school. I suggest you google the schoolboards of the province you are immigrating to and see if they have a FAQ. It may also depend on the individual school districts, even the schools themselves.

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Thanks Leon and OrangeCounty,

I wish I knew where I will go for sure, right now my mind is set for BC, however wherever job will take me, I will go there. I would like to live in outskirt of the cities because you get cheaper rent, bigger space as well as less traffic. Yes, schools in US and specially in some cities are not very good, overcrowded and teachers doesn't care that's why people send their kids to private school as they have no other choice. I will search and see as per your advice.

Nicholas

Star Member
Aug 6, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a Canadian brother living in Boston, and he sent his kids to private school, costing about $20,000 a year. Not sure if this was for one or two, but still a shocker if you ask me. He told me that people just don't send their children to public school if they can help it.

I transfered back to Canada from the UK, and I didn't have to show any paperwork regarding my grades. Just show up at the school near to where you will reside and your children will be placed in a grade for thier age and ability.

Not meaning to brag, but a friend of mine (American) told me about an article in the Economist that had said that the rich people in Edmonton send their children to public schools because the quality is good. Not too sure about BC, but I can tell you that Canada's education is top rate.

There are some schools in some areas that are not so good, not so much because of over crowding or the teachers, but because some parts of some towns just have more bad kids than others. You are best off to find a good area to live, and there you will find the good schools.

Best of luck to you and your family.