+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Hello All,

I have some doubts before applying for Canadian Citizenship.

1. I am on H1B working in Michigan, staying in Windsor. I got my PR through Saskatchewan PNP program and after that I moved in Windsor in 2020 and next month I am eligible for Canadian Citizenship.
2. I got my Landing done in 2020 only in Sarnia border due to Covid restrictions because within Province also there were restrictions you can't travel as well as all flights were cancelled due to Covid even I booked flight from Michigan to Saskatchewan.
3. I took apt in Windsor in 2020 and same time took some rental basement for 2 months in Saskatchewan as well but due to Covid restrictions, I was not able to travel to Saskatchewan but I had monthly lease docs/Saskatchewan Health insurance card which I applied online.
4. Now If I am applying for Citizenship, For the last 5 years address history, Do I mention both address Saskatchewan (not stay even single day due to Covid travel restrictions) as well as Ontario for 2 months (Oct/Nov 2020) above all on my CRA 2020 tax return , my Ontario address is there??

Please advice as I am confused as I got PR through Saskatchewan PNP but was not able to travel even for single day to Saskatchewan due to Covid travel restrictions but took some basement apt on lease thought if travel restrictions were removed then travel to Saskatchewan but was not able to travel but applied Saskatchewan health insurance/lease docs.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello All,

I have some doubts before applying for Canadian Citizenship.

1. I am on H1B working in Michigan, staying in Windsor. I got my PR through Saskatchewan PNP program and after that I moved in Windsor in 2020 and next month I am eligible for Canadian Citizenship.
2. I got my Landing done in 2020 only in Sarnia border due to Covid restrictions because within Province also there were restrictions you can't travel as well as all flights were cancelled due to Covid even I booked flight from Michigan to Saskatchewan.
3. I took apt in Windsor in 2020 and same time took some rental basement for 2 months in Saskatchewan as well but due to Covid restrictions, I was not able to travel to Saskatchewan but I had monthly lease docs/Saskatchewan Health insurance card which I applied online.
4. Now If I am applying for Citizenship, For the last 5 years address history, Do I mention both address Saskatchewan (not stay even single day due to Covid travel restrictions) as well as Ontario for 2 months (Oct/Nov 2020) above all on my CRA 2020 tax return , my Ontario address is there??

Please advice as I am confused as I got PR through Saskatchewan PNP but was not able to travel even for single day to Saskatchewan due to Covid travel restrictions but took some basement apt on lease thought if travel restrictions were removed then travel to Saskatchewan but was not able to travel but applied Saskatchewan health insurance/lease docs.
I don't think it matters where in Canada you lived.. What matters is this:

To become a Canadian citizen, you must

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Thanks for your reply. But my question is Do I mention both address (Saskatchewan/Ontario) during particular time (Oct/Nov 2020) since I signed lease in both places but was not able to travel during Oct/Nov 2020 due to Covid because I have Saskatchewan lease doc/Health insurance Card as well??

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Thanks for your reply. But my question is Do I mention both address (Saskatchewan/Ontario) during particular time (Oct/Nov 2020) since I signed lease in both places but was not able to travel during Oct/Nov 2020 due to Covid because I have Saskatchewan lease doc/Health insurance Card as well??
Write where you physically lived..

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Write where you physically lived..
Thanks. But I am little bit nervous since I got my PR through Saskatchewan PNP and I never lived on that nominated province due to Covid travel restrictions. I took lease, applied Saskatchewan health insurance, even I applied so many jobs but no luck but never went over there so little bit concern, top of it I am working in cross border.

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Thanks. But I am little bit nervous since I got my PR through Saskatchewan PNP and I never lived on that nominated province due to Covid travel restrictions. I took lease, applied Saskatchewan health insurance, even I applied so many jobs but no luck but never went over there so little bit concern, top of it I am working in cross border.
Any advice on this.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
You are overthinking this..the charter of rights and freedoms says:

Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada. Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right: to move to and take up residence in any province; and to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.

Reactions: swan0206

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
You are overthinking this..the charter of rights and freedoms says:

Every citizen of Canada has the right to enter, remain in and leave Canada. Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a permanent resident of Canada has the right: to move to and take up residence in any province; and to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.
Thanks for the reply. One more thing I moved Canada to Oct 2020 so technically I filed taxes in 2020 for 2 months only. So, in order to apply Canadian Citizenship, person has to file taxes for 3 years so in my case 2020/2021/2022. Is it ok or else I have to wait until I can file taxes for 2023 as well?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reply. One more thing I moved Canada to Oct 2020 so technically I filed taxes in 2020 for 2 months only. So, in order to apply Canadian Citizenship, person has to file taxes for 3 years so in my case 2020/2021/2022. Is it ok or else I have to wait until I can file taxes for 2023 as well?
What are the dates you've been living in each address in Canada since moving to Canada on Oct 2020?

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Guys, One more question, I am starting filing my Canadian Citizenship application online and when I am going to Physical presence tab, I am confusing which option I have to choose for adding all of my Exit/Entry trips since I am working in Michigan and I can daily up down from Windsor to Michigan but in dropdown the options are:

1. Business Trip
2. Business Trip (self employed)
3. My job in the transportation industry
4.Work and travel ( working holiday)
5. Studied Abroad
6.Tourism (such as vacation)
7.Visited a family member
8. other

According to me, I need to select point 4 but point 4 is confusing because in the bracket they mentioned working holiday) and for me I am daily up down and it's not holiday.

If I select other which is point 8, then some other box is open which is Description.

What you guys suggest point 4 or point 8? Please help me out.

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Guys, One more question, I am starting filing my Canadian Citizenship application online and when I am going to Physical presence tab, I am confusing which option I have to choose for adding all of my Exit/Entry trips since I am working in Michigan and I can daily up down from Windsor to Michigan but in dropdown the options are:

1. Business Trip
2. Business Trip (self employed)
3. My job in the transportation industry
4.Work and travel ( working holiday)
5. Studied Abroad
6.Tourism (such as vacation)
7.Visited a family member
8. other

According to me, I need to select point 4 but point 4 is confusing because in the bracket they mentioned working holiday) and for me I am daily up down and it's not holiday.

If I select other which is point 8, then some other box is open which is Description.

What you guys suggest point 4 or point 8? Please help me out.
Any suggestion is appreciated.