+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship Application gap between 2 passports

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
I am filling my Canadian citizenship application online. I have a gap of 38 days between the expiry date of my previous passport and the issue date of my current passport. There is a box in the application asking me to explain this gap. Is it okay to say "I was waiting for the passport to be renewed. During this period I did not have any other travel document and did not do any international travel." Or do I need to write more details and attach some proof (passport renewal application details, etc.). While looking for the passport renewal details, I realized that I had applied for renewal a couple of days after the actual expiry date. Would this be a problem?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
"I was waiting for the passport to be renewed. During this period I did not have any other travel document and did not do any international travel."
This is fine.

I had a gap of several months without a passport while I was waiting for my Canadian citizenship approval because I didn't want to bother renewing my old country's passport. I just explained "did not renew and did not travel" for the gap when I got asked for updated passport scans.

Reactions: cicuser