+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship Applicants 55 y/o and over.

John P.

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
Here's my dad's application timeline:

1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on December 20, 2012.

2. We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on December 20, 2012. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

3. We started processing your application on March 27, 2013.

So, as what is shown above, it has been over a year already since the start of the process. When I contacted the CIC via email, they had just told me that they would contact my dad when the processing reached another stage.

I don't understand why do people have to wait that long for their applications (routine applications) to be finalized so they could fully enjoy the warmth and comfort of their new "Home".

Please share your/family's experience here. Thanks

John P.

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
He hasn't been informed of where his application is being processed. But, since he lives in Surrey, I believe the Surrey office is responsible for his case.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is nothing much you can do while he is withing the normal processing times which are right now 24 months, see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

After that, you can go see your MP and try to push things or ask them to inquire why it is taking longer.

However, even with the posted times, sometimes applications just take longer. I applied at a time that the normal processing times were around 13 months and I waited 2.5 years for mine to go through. I would say mine should have been a routine application too, I had 4 years in Canada when I applied, I was working for the same employer for 3 of them and I had only left twice for 2-3 weeks at a time.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Your application is not reached to the designated processing time so be patient and
hope soon you will heard some good news, be prepare for interview and gather all
necessary proof i.e. cbsa report, health card record, T4, T5, lease, own property
and translate if any stamp in your dad passport in other than english language do
this fast as this will help to proceed your dad application smoothly at time of
interview.

CBSA report you can get on line by paying 5 dollars and time to get 30 days.
Health record from ministry of health in your area at no cost you have to
write and provide copy of your health card.....

MBK2

May 2, 2013
My dad is 60y/o and his application just started processing. A few days ago he received his book....

Just wondering why they sent the book...just for casual reading i guess since he doesn't need the test.

Also, is their processing time faster? Or just same processing time just instead of the test they directly have the oath and save one month time or so?!

janoo

May 16, 2014
yes faster than others but he has to visit the local office for brief interview

he will be ask several question about his residency requirement etc...

John P.

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
MBK2 said:
My dad is 60y/o and his application just started processing. A few days ago he received his book....

Just wondering why they sent the book...just for casual reading i guess since he doesn't need the test.

Also, is their processing time faster? Or just same processing time just instead of the test they directly have the oath and save one month time or so?!
My dad is now 57, he was turning 56 at the time of submission of his application, he then also received the book together with the AOR letter. Since then, we never heard of any progress.