+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizens with H1B/H4 status

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
Hi All,
Me and my spouse are Canadian Citizens.

I will be working for a US employer on H1B while my wife might get H4 EAD status. I will traveling between Canada and US side for my work..

Is it advisable to get H4 EAD visa for my wife? I am reading that spouse might get some issues when she try to cross border on H4 status (when I am not with her). We live close to border so she will cross border multiple times in a month. We are only getting her H4 EAD for ber easy job search on US side.

Any advise here?

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
H4 ead is not advisable for both cross border work commute irrespective of spouse is travelling with or without h1b visa holder. This is a visa category when you are “living” with your spouse in the USA. Frequent commutes on h4 ead to work will raise questions.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
What you highlighted is the issue... it would not matter if she has EAD or not... When she is trying to enter US, either you should already be in US or you are with her while crossing the border... AFAIK....
I 100 percent agree with the comments. Without primary VISA holder present in USA/ accompanying Spouse, entering USA for stamping is not recommended.

salmbagjaf

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
Hi All,

I will be working for a US employer on H1B while my wife might get H4 EAD status. I will traveling between Canada and US side for my work..

Is it advisable to get H4 EAD visa for my wife? I am reading that spouse might get some issues when she try to cross border on H4 status (when I am not with her). We live close to border so she will cross border multiple times in a month. We are only getting her H4 EAD for ber easy job search on US side.

Any advise here?
Can you please elaborate on how you can get H-4 EAD? I am joining a US university as AP and they are being super unhelpful regarding my wife's visa. Can every H-4 visa holder apply for EAD?

Tara

Star Member
Jan 15, 2009
Not all H4 visa holders can apply for EAD. Only those qualify where the primary H1 has I-140 approved.

See - https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-and-fashion-models/employment-authorization-for-certain-h-4-dependent-spouses

Can you please elaborate on how you can get H-4 EAD? I am joining a US university as AP and they are being super unhelpful regarding my wife's visa. Can every H-4 visa holder apply for EAD?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Are you aware how a Canadian Citizen can apply for H4 EAD?? I am aware of the process when he/she is an Indian Citizen which we have applied while we were back in US. But as the Canadian Citizen doesn't have a physical approval copy of H4 with her from USCIS, does USCIS have the understanding of this scenario?? Just the H4 stamp on passport at the border would suffice as the proof ??

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Are you aware how a Canadian Citizen can apply for H4 EAD?? I am aware of the process when he/she is an Indian Citizen which we have applied while we were back in US. But as the Canadian Citizen doesn't have a physical approval copy of H4 with her from USCIS, does USCIS have the understanding of this scenario?? Just the H4 stamp on passport at the border would suffice as the proof ??
@Tara any idea??

wink

May 25, 2021
Because Canadian citizens get their H4 activated at the border. They wouldn't have a i797.
Okay, I understand your question now..... but an I-94 should have been issued with H4 status (at the border)? Maybe I-94 should be good enough. I am not sure they would stamp the passport with H4.

Acharya9099

Jul 26, 2021
H4 has nothing to do with citizenship. As far as H4 approved question, the physical approved copy of H4 is only received when one apply it from within US. When you are already outside you just need visa or the stamp of H4 which is given based on primary H1 holder, it’s exactly same as physical I-797. You can use the H4 stamp for all you needs.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
H4 has nothing to do with citizenship. As far as H4 approved question, the physical approved copy of H4 is only received when one apply it from within US. When you are already outside you just need visa or the stamp of H4 which is given based on primary H1 holder, it’s exactly same as physical I-797. You can use the H4 stamp for all you needs.
Great. thanks for your response. Yeah, i forgot to add that im already outside the country. I get it now.

HVisaUser

Apr 9, 2024
Currently I'm in US with H1 status and my spouse is in Canada and she will be moving to US with me eventually.
1. In that case she don't have to apply anything to USCIS and simply get H4 status in port of entry with supporting documents?
2. Once she get the I94 in H4 status, she can send the documents to USCIS for EAD and come back to Canada on the same? Or she has to be in the USA until her EAD gets approved??

Please shed some light, since H4 EAD take long wait time and she don't want to take any break in her career.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Currently I'm in US with H1 status and my spouse is in Canada and she will be moving to US with me eventually.
1. In that case she don't have to apply anything to USCIS and simply get H4 status in port of entry with supporting documents?
2. Once she get the I94 in H4 status, she can send the documents to USCIS for EAD and come back to Canada on the same? Or she has to be in the USA until her EAD gets approved??

Please shed some light, since H4 EAD take long wait time and she don't want to take any break in her career.
1.Yes
2. Thats right. She can apply for EAD and wait till it reached USCIS and then travel. Need not be inside the country till it gets approved. She can keep travelling.