+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian but not living in canada

snj

Star Member
Dec 6, 2010
hey All...
I am a canadian citizen. After getting my citizenship i had shifted to my home country for which i possess dual citizenship. I was studying there and i recently got married 5 months ago. I now would like to reconsider shifting back to canada. So i wanted to apply for my husband as in sponsor him. How can all this work out???
your answers will be appreciated.
I forgot to mention I have my Brother and his fmly living there and they too are canadians...if at all this helps.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
snj said:
hey All...
I am a canadian citizen. After getting my citizenship i had shifted to my home country for which i possess dual citizenship. I was studying there and i recently got married 5 months ago. I now would like to reconsider shifting back to canada. So i wanted to apply for my husband as in sponsor him. How can all this work out???
your answers will be appreciated.
I forgot to mention I have my Brother and his fmly living there and they too are canadians...if at all this helps.
As a Canadian Citizen you eligible to sponsor your husband, either from Canada or from the country you are in. Read through the information on the CIC website and decide what is best for you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

Good luck.

catjane

Dec 2, 2010
You didn't mention what country you are applying from? If you are gong to move back to Canada with your new husband you will need to start applying now. There is alot involved. I am going through the same thing right now, tying to go back to Canada with my husband of 10 years. Were you born in your country by Canadian parents? Good luck.

micmac101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2010
North Shore of New Brunswick
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 2010
LANDED..........
Husband arrived October 17,2014
I'm Canadian & I sponsored my husband from pakistan. I plan on moving there for awhile.Will it hinder the application process,also I plan on putting furnishing in storage untill I come back will this also hinder the process.Or should I pay rent to prove we have a place to stay when he comes. Dont want to delay the process.

snj

Star Member
Dec 6, 2010
thxz 4 da replies...
I was born in India. but me and my husband are residing in K.S.A since he works here.

yes i have seen the application forms and the procedure from that site. But i just wasn't sure if i could still sponsor him when i am not living in Canada since some years.

Also, does it matter if we apply from K.S.A or India. My husband is a Indian.

thanks again.. :)

snj

Star Member
Dec 6, 2010
Well i found some info at another forum regarding my topic over here. So please reconfirm for me.

Sponsoring your spouse while living in another country

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse without being in Canada but you do then have to prove that you are planning on moving to Canada when your spouse gets approved for permanent residency. Such proof can include having arranged jobs, being accepted to college, having arranged housing or letters from friends & relatives stating that they know of your plans and that you can stay with them while you look for housing etc.

Another question...I am unemployed. m fully depended on my husband financially. Could that be an issue when i sponsor for him?
See how it says up there that we will have to prove to the officials...how are we going to do that...coz my husband is currently working in K.S.A but he eventually will find work in Canada when he gets the immigration and move there. How can we give them a proof now.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
no issues if you are financially dependent fully on your husband but you need to explain how you are going to support him once he is in Canada for up to 3 years.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

There seems to be a myth that you need to show some level of support to be able to sponsor a spouse or dependent child. Possibly this confusion is caused by the CIC itself, because they require people to complete the sponsor forms with financial information, etc.

However, no such requirement exists. You could be completely impoverished and still sponsor your spouse. There only two financial requirements:

1. You must not be on welfare.
2. You must not be in the midst of an undischarged bankruptcy.

If 1 applies, you must first get off welfare to sponsor. Note that disability benefits do not count as welfare, nor do student financial aid.
If 2 applies, you must get the bankruptcy discharged before you can sponsor.

If neither applies, you are good to go, and nobody will require you to prove that anyone can support anyone in the case of a spousal sponsorship. :)

snj

Star Member
Dec 6, 2010
oh great...dats a relief to knw....thnks for ur answers...

one more question...since i hav a dual citizenship m an indian too and so is my husband. but v r residing at Saudi Arabia due to his job...so wher can v apply frm....India Or Saudi Arabia itself...???

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Karlshammar said:
Hi,

There seems to be a myth that you need to show some level of support to be able to sponsor a spouse or dependent child. Possibly this confusion is caused by the CIC itself, because they require people to complete the sponsor forms with financial information, etc.

However, no such requirement exists. You could be completely impoverished and still sponsor your spouse. There only two financial requirements:

1. You must not be on welfare.
2. You must not be in the midst of an undischarged bankruptcy.

If 1 applies, you must first get off welfare to sponsor. Note that disability benefits do not count as welfare, nor do student financial aid.
If 2 applies, you must get the bankruptcy discharged before you can sponsor.

If neither applies, you are good to go, and nobody will require you to prove that anyone can support anyone in the case of a spousal sponsorship. :)
Not quite. I suggest that you read Section 39 of the Act.

Financial reasons
39. A foreign national is inadmissible for financial reasons if they are or will be unable or unwilling to support themself or any other person who is dependent on them, and have not satisfied an officer that adequate arrangements for care and support, other than those that involve social assistance, have been made.