+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian auto insurance for US driver

Natasha011988

Feb 6, 2018
Hi,

I moved to Ontario a month back and converted my US license for an ON 'G'. I am planning to buy a car and I heard that even though I have US driving history, I will be considered as a new driver and could have a high insurance rate.

Please let me know if there are any ways of getting a better quote.
I have 5 years of driving experience in the US with one minor accident(4 years old).

-Natasha

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,

I moved to Ontario a month back and converted my US license for an ON 'G'. I am planning to buy a car and I heard that even though I have US driving history, I will be considered as a new driver and could have a high insurance rate.

I have 5 years of driving experience in the US with one minor accident(4 years old).

-Natasha
Good luck with that... I had 35 years driving experience in the UK and I was insured as a "new driver"...

alimzlm

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
Hi,

-Natasha
bring a certificate from your US insurance company .I think the name of this letter is "no claim certificate" .you will get discount for sure

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
There are a few websites that you can use to search for insurance. Most ask if you have insurance from the US. That should help you.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
There are a few websites that you can use to search for insurance. Most ask if you have insurance from the US. That should help you.
I was sick tired of those web quotes sites which most of them look the same, asking me when I get G1, G2, and G, not taking into the account that path to G license and timing are different for immigrants.

So in my first years in Canada I went to several insurance brokers in person and they prepared quotes from several insurers. I think that visiting in person helps in getting better quotes.

I was told by several brokers that my European insurance history will not be honored, and it wasn’t on the year 1. and 2., but when I switched the insurance company on year 3. zero claims insurance certificate from European insurer helps me get better quote at Cooperators.

So IMHO auto insurance for new immigrants is a murky territory where you need to engage all your negotiating skills, and not just accepting what is offered to you at first.

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
I was sick tired of those web quotes sites which most of them look the same, asking me when I get G1, G2, and G, not taking into the account that path to G license and timing are different for immigrants.

So in my first years in Canada I went to several insurance brokers in person and they prepared quotes from several insurers. I think that visiting in person helps in getting better quotes.

I was told by several brokers that my European insurance history will not be honored, and it wasn’t on the year 1. and 2., but when I switched the insurance company on year 3. zero claims insurance certificate from European insurer helps me get better quote at Cooperators.

So IMHO auto insurance for new immigrants is a murky territory where you need to engage all your negotiating skills, and not just accepting what is offered to you at first.
I agree with you but the Op was asking about US experience.

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
helooo,

ALL state considers it. I took all state and they took all my US driving history Ito account. I am paying 110 per month for my car . Don ask me the car, but its a luxury suv brand new

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Hi,

-Natasha
Bring No Claim Certificate for last 5 years it will help alot in getting better rates

sid1987

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
ottawa
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-06-2018
AOR Received.
19-06-2018
Passport Req..
25 -07-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2018
LANDED..........
04-08-2018
Bring No Claim Certificate for last 5 years it will help alot in getting better rates
this also I had provided a letter from my previous insurance in USA

kirch

Jan 26, 2010
Hi,

-Natasha
.some state liken NY,MI,MA etc have agreements with Ontario and the drivers database is shared and your past driving record iis transferred automatically to Ontario DL
if your DL is issued from other states just collect driving abstracts/history from the DMV(s) where you have license in last 5 years
Submit the copies while you swap your DL in Canada and they will update your Driving record.When ever any insurance company check your driving records for quote,your US history also shows p

Advice: If you are already driving US Plated car and not yet transferred to Canadian,better you can wait for 3 months as you have 3 montsh time to do so and most US insurance covers in Canada (some may require to be notified that you are driving in Canada).The reason is US insurance is 3 to 4 times chepaer than new comers auto insurance in Canada (even with US history)

I used to pay $75 in US and for the same vehicle and same coverage and with same Insurance Co (allstate -both in US and Can) I paid $370 with no accidents or traffic violations in the preceding 3 yrs

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi,

-Natasha
My spouse moved to Ontario last month and exchanged her US DL to ON DL. As far as car auto insurance www.cooperators.ca accepted official letter of experience from Progressive.com (4+ year of insurance) and driver record statement from Michigan department of state showing the her first MI DL was issued in 2002. So, these 16 years driving experience gave discount ~$650.