+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian address for PR living abroad with citizen spouse

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
For any PRs who reside out of Canada with a Canadian citizen spouse, if you have applied for a PR card while in Canada on vacation and don’t have a home there, what did you use for Canada residential address? I would put hotel address and then provide explanation in cover letter, knowing they will have me pick it up in person.

The instructions include the following:

NOTE: … If you do not provide your residential address, processing will be delayed.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For any PRs who reside out of Canada with a Canadian citizen spouse, if you have applied for a PR card while in Canada on vacation and don’t have a home there, what did you use for Canada residential address? I would put hotel address and then provide explanation in cover letter, knowing they will have me pick it up in person.

NOTE: … If you do not provide your residential address, processing will be delayed.
It sounds like you are applying to a renewed PR Card, correct?

The rules seem to differ from the initial PR Card (Phase 1 cards), in terms of the use of a third-party mailing address. This is what is shown for a person waiting for their initial card-
On occasion, clients may provide the address of a third party in Canada (for example, friend, relative, representative or service provider) in order to facilitate processing and issuance of the PR card following their arrival in Canada.

But for renewals (Phase 2 cards), there's this:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/card/renewal-replacement.html#s4

PRC-Sydney processing – Use of representative and third-party mailing address

Use of representative form on file

When Phase 2 applications indicate both the residential and mailing address of a third party, with the IMM 5476 - Use of Representative form on file, PRC-Sydney will mark/toggle the PR card to be sent to the local office for in-person distribution. The officer does not send a letter to the client in these cases.

Use of Representative form not on file

When Phase 2 applications indicate the address of a known or suspected third party (such as your hotel) and there is no IMM 5476 form completed on file, officers should refer the file to Program Support [IRCC.PRCProgramSupport-SoutiendeProgrammeCRP.IRCC@cic.gc.ca].

---

While there have been members here that have successfully had their Phase 2 cards sent to an address that is not their own, I suspect that a hotel (especially if you are not a guest there) would be risky. Further to that, if IRCC suspects that you are not residing at the address (in Canada) that you provide, you may be asked to pick up your card in person.

Good luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Are you not able to put a residential address out of Canada? You should be able to apply with a residential address out of Canada. If so, I would include an explanation with proof that you were in Canada. If you do have to put a Canadian residential address then you can put the hotel but yes please include a letter explaining that this is the address of the hotel you were staying at. I would also attach proof that you were in Canada when you applied. Although not required this would eliminate any concern that you weren’t in Canada. Make sure your mailing address is your current address abroad because you don’t want any mail going to the hotel. In general most applying for PR card renewal when living abroad tend to be required to pick up their new PR cards in person.

Reactions: Tubsmagee

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you not able to put a residential address out of Canada? You should be able to apply with a residential address out of Canada. If so, I would include an explanation with proof that you were in Canada. If you do have to put a Canadian residential address then you can put the hotel but yes please include a letter explaining that this is the address of the hotel you were staying at. I would also attach proof that you were in Canada when you applied. Although not required this would eliminate any concern that you weren’t in Canada. Make sure your mailing address is your current address abroad because you don’t want any mail going to the hotel. In general most applying for PR card renewal when living abroad tend to be required to pick up their new PR cards in person.
This sounds like bad advice, IMHO. A residential address does NOT mean the address of a hotel where the OP once stayed, right?

And, the OP cannot list an address that is outside of Canada, because we all know that PR Cards are only mailed to a Canadian address. Remember? ;)