+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada's IT skills shortage, is it real? Interesting read...

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
http://www.itworldcanada.com/article/why-canada-has-an-182000-it-talent-shortage-while-lots-of-tech-professionals-are-out-of-work/373517

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for posting this here. I found the article poorly written. Why? Read further, which is my summary of the article.

It starts by quoting some random people that they are looking for work for a long time and don't see any vacancies, while the government IT council says 182K positions are expected to open up by 2019. Does the article really explain why this discrepancy exist?

yes, to an extent. It spends the rest of the words quoting a recruitment agency Hays Canada, that basically agrees that many industries face people and skills shortage, and ranks IT as the most affected industry. That totally agrees with the IT council's estimates. So why do those people who are searching for jobs remain unemployed?

the reasons given are, either they are new graduates or immigrants or really senior employees. The onus is put on the employers to do more by employing them overcoming the "short term view" usually prevailing amongst hiring/HR managers.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
It's explained right there in the first sentence.

Canadian employers are paying slave wages.

Who are the only willing candidates to work for such wages?

Most likely the endless amount of new immigrant.... but they are unqualified.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
number411 said:
Thanks for posting this here. I found the article poorly written. Why? Read further, which is my summary of the article.

It starts by quoting some random people that they are looking for work for a long time and don't see any vacancies, while the government IT council says 182K positions are expected to open up by 2019. Does the article really explain why this discrepancy exist?
thanks for your comments,
i shared the article mainly because it acknowledges the discrepancy, most articles which i've seen highlight canada's skills shortages and the "need" for new immigrants to fill the skills gap which isn't quite realistic.

In my views the IT job market in canada is quite small, yes there are a few vacancies here and there but unfortunately they aren't enough for all. To grab those positions you need to compete, have the right connections and stand out...regardless if you are a new immigrant, fresh graduate or a seasoned canadian born professional.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
mrbeachman said:
It's explained right there in the first sentence.

Canadian employers are paying slave wages.

Who are the only willing candidates to work for such wages?

Most likely the endless amount of new immigrant.... but they are unqualified.
Companies like to pay little to IT people, and they know immigrants are willing to take that. No, they are not unqualified, they just don't have Canadian experience. As simple as that.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Jalex23 said:
Companies like to pay little to IT people, and they know immigrants are willing to take that. No, they are not unqualified, they just don't have Canadian experience. As simple as that.
I should have put "unqualified".

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emamabd said:
thanks for your comments,
i shared the article mainly because it acknowledges the discrepancy, most articles which i've seen highlight canada's skills shortages and the "need" for new immigrants to fill the skills gap which isn't quite realistic.

In my views the IT job market in canada is quite small, yes there are a few vacancies here and there but unfortunately they aren't enough for all. To grab those positions you need to compete, have the right connections and stand out...regardless if you are a new immigrant, fresh graduate or a seasoned canadian born professional.
Yes, I totally agree. In a small IT job market (demand) that has too many qualified aspirants (many masters holders underemployed = supply), one has to wait longer or stand out with networking to get that job.

I also read many of your posts in the "Finding Job in Canada" sticky thread and find them sensible and helpful, thank you for those too. My 2c on forum users such as mrbeachman who severely discourage people - Yes, they are right too, because right now I am seeing in social media that even Canadian natives are laid off (mostly in alberta) and suffering with joblessness and underemployment. So I think we need someone to paint a realistic picture and not always be motivating towards immigration. I also read that someone even attempted suicide because he was never invited for ITA. I wonder how such people can survive a cruel winter and jobless in a new country without family or friends. We probably need a sticky that says "BEWARE - YOU WILL STRUGGLE IN CANADA!" :)

That said, IT jobs still seem to be available for some skills.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
number411 said:
Yes, I totally agree. In a small IT job market (demand) that has too many qualified aspirants (many masters holders underemployed = supply), one has to wait longer or stand out with networking to get that job.

I also read many of your posts in the "Finding Job in Canada" sticky thread and find them sensible and helpful, thank you for those too. My 2c on forum users such as mrbeachman who severely discourage people - Yes, they are right too, because right now I am seeing in social media that even Canadian natives are laid off (mostly in alberta) and suffering with joblessness and underemployment. So I think we need someone to paint a realistic picture and not always be motivating towards immigration. I also read that someone even attempted suicide because he was never invited for ITA. I wonder how such people can survive a cruel winter and jobless in a new country without family or friends. We probably need a sticky that says "BEWARE - YOU WILL STRUGGLE IN CANADA!" :)

That said, IT jobs still seem to be available for some skills.
I'm glad you found some of my posts helpful, i'm trying to give back to this forum as i've learnt a lot from it.

Yes its true that there some very pissimistic forum members and a few others who are very optimistic, they both enrich the forum with their differing views, however i believe the truth always lies in between ;).