+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada PR: Can we do border crossing to keep it

venkat51286

Aug 1, 2017
Hi All, I have Canada PR working on H1-B and my employer doesn't allow working from Canada remotely but they allow working anywhere within US. I am thinking of moving to Detroit and doing wfh from there. (I can change my employer but not within this year). My question is how they calculated "a day of physical presence in Canada". If I live in Detroit and cross the border and come back after few minutes, does it counted as a day towards my PR stay. Can I do this everyday ? Do they track how much time you spent in each trip and ask questions in your next trips. Does it raise any red flags when I apply for Canadian citizenship.
Other way is I need to a office in Detroit (lease an apartment just for office purpose) and living in Windsor. So I can come everyday to my WFH office in Detroit and go back to Windsor in the evening. The only downside is the rent I have to pay for this apartment.
Please advise what is the best way to approach this. Thanks in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All, I have Canada PR working on H1-B and my employer doesn't allow working from Canada remotely but they allow working anywhere within US. I am thinking of moving to Detroit and doing wfh from there. (I can change my employer but not within this year). My question is how they calculated "a day of physical presence in Canada". If I live in Detroit and cross the border and come back after few minutes, does it counted as a day towards my PR stay. Can I do this everyday ? Do they track how much time you spent in each trip and ask questions in your next trips. Does it raise any red flags when I apply for Canadian citizenship.
Other way is I need to a office in Detroit (lease an apartment just for office purpose) and living in Windsor. So I can come everyday to my WFH office in Detroit and go back to Windsor in the evening. The only downside is the rent I have to pay for this apartment.
Please advise what is the best way to approach this. Thanks in advance!
Given covid this won’t be possible in the foreseeable future. When do you need to move to be compliant with your RO? Assume some travel to your home office will be needed to you will need to add a buffer. If you want to travel for personal reasons add a bigger buffer. There are some new regulations coming down the pipeline when it comes to H1B.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2020/05/28/high-skill-immigration-restrictions-expected-soon-from-trump/

venkat51286

Aug 1, 2017
Thanks canuck78 for the info. I am not sure what RO meant (I didn't contact recognized organization if you mean that) and I already completed 2 years in US on PR and this is high time to make decision. So for foreseeable future, if I want to save my PR, the only option is migrating into Canada completely right. Thanks again for the info.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Thanks canuck78 for the info. I am not sure what RO meant (I didn't contact recognized organization if you mean that) and I already completed 2 years in US on PR and this is high time to make decision. So for foreseeable future, if I want to save my PR, the only option is migrating into Canada completely right. Thanks again for the info.
RO=residency obligations, meaning you have to be in canada 2 out of 5 years