+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Port of Entry, life, climate and transport experience!!

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
Journey: I landed here yesterday afternoon and light snow showers welcome me here. I came after 22 hours of journey and I thought I might not survive but that was not the case, the excitement and enthusiasm takes you through and you will be in Toronto before you know. After coming here within 6 hours of landing I bought couple of cloths and a new number so its easy to get how not so tired I was. So don't worry about the hours of journey as the destination is worth it and won't let you be tired.

I will start it from the very beginning. I had booked British Airways Tickets of a flight which reached Toronto via London. I left at 2:45 am from Mumbai and the flight and journey were smooth. Facilities provided by British Airways are pretty nice as well.

I landed in London at around 11:30 AM (IST) and as I thought it might be tiring to wait for 5.5 hours, it actually was not.

Then flight took off from there at 6 PM (IST) due to the queue at runway and landed in Toronto at around 2 AM (IST). It was snowing here and the whole thing was looking pretty until I walked out of the airport when I release how cold it was.

The whole immigration process went this way:

We were provided with Departure Card to fill in the airline itself.

Your passport and boarding pass would be checked when you exit the airplane by CBSA authorities. They might even ask a few questions. I was asked what was my purpose of visit and which college would I be studying in.

The Departure card has to be handed to the first immigration check counter. They might ask if you are carrying any eatables. They are polite people (or atleast my personal experience suggests that). You will then have to move CBSA immigration check part from where you will get the study permit. The lady I had my encounter with was Asian but again a soft spoken person. She only asked for:

Letter of Acceptance,
Passport and
Letter of Introduction (the one that accompanies your TRV and passport when the Visa is granted).

No other document is required (unless asked for).

They might ask some questions like name of the college or the course or previous education. After which they will process the Study Permit, staple it to your PP and hand it to you.

From this point the person will move to the immigration check exit where they will again check the Departure Card and let you pass through for you to collect your checked luggage.

If you have a lot of luggage you might want to consider getting a Trolley which would cost you $2 (unlike India, it costs 2 dollars to get one at the airport).

I was confused with the loonies and toonies ($1 and $2 coins) when a gentleman helped me out and told me about them. People are indeed helpful here as after collecting the trolley my trolley was stuck as something was stuck in its wheel and another person helped me out with it before I could figure out the problem.

After collecting luggage you can move through the final check point where you have to hand over your Departure card and move through the arrivals exit where you can get Limos, taxis or see the person who has come to pick you up.

Transport: Taxis are pretty costly affair here so public transport like buses and street cars should be given preference wherever possible. Also its best to get pass than paying on regular basis as the costs my come down by a good margin because of this.

People: So far people I have met here are soft spoken and helpful. Yet you will very often see the younger generation being a lil snob when compared to past 30s who would greet you even when they don't know you and are just passing by you. Don't trust anybody or everybody you meet.

Never feel shy of asking questions if you don't know something even to strangers. People here are nice and patient enough to answer your questions.

Climate:
Climate here would be a little harsh for people who have not seen temperatures below 0 degrees yet if you are covered and have protected yourself with proper clothing, it can't harm you as most of the public places and transport are centrally heated so only part you need to take care of is while you are outside.

Thats about it as of now. If anybody wants to know anything else apart from what I have mentioned or wants me to elaborate some mentioned point you can always post here or PM me.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
royalsting said:
Journey: I landed here yesterday afternoon and light snow showers welcome me here. I came after 22 hours of journey and I thought I might not survive but that was not the case, the excitement and enthusiasm takes you through and you will be in Toronto before you know. After coming here within 6 hours of landing I bought couple of cloths and a new number so its easy to get how not so tired I was. So don't worry about the hours of journey as the destination is worth it and won't let you be tired.

I will start it from the very beginning. I had booked British Airways Tickets of a flight which reached Toronto via London. I left at 2:45 am from Mumbai and the flight and journey were smooth. Facilities provided by British Airways are pretty nice as well.

I landed in London at around 11:30 AM (IST) and as I thought it might be tiring to wait for 5.5 hours, it actually was not.

Then flight took off from there at 6 PM (IST) due to the queue at runway and landed in Toronto at around 2 AM (IST). It was snowing here and the whole thing was looking pretty until I walked out of the airport when I release how cold it was.

The whole immigration process went this way:

We were provided with Departure Card to fill in the airline itself.

Your passport and boarding pass would be checked when you exit the airplane by CBSA authorities. They might even ask a few questions. I was asked what was my purpose of visit and which college would I be studying in.

The Departure card has to be handed to the first immigration check counter. They might ask if you are carrying any eatables. They are polite people (or atleast my personal experience suggests that). You will then have to move CBSA immigration check part from where you will get the study permit. The lady I had my encounter with was Asian but again a soft spoken person. She only asked for:

Letter of Acceptance,
Passport and
Letter of Introduction (the one that accompanies your TRV and passport when the Visa is granted).

No other document is required (unless asked for).

They might ask some questions like name of the college or the course or previous education. After which they will process the Study Permit, staple it to your PP and hand it to you.

From this point the person will move to the immigration check exit where they will again check the Departure Card and let you pass through for you to collect your checked luggage.

If you have a lot of luggage you might want to consider getting a Trolley which would cost you $2 (unlike India, it costs 2 dollars to get one at the airport).

I was confused with the loonies and toonies ($1 and $2 coins) when a gentleman helped me out and told me about them. People are indeed helpful here as after collecting the trolley my trolley was stuck as something was stuck in its wheel and another person helped me out with it before I could figure out the problem.

After collecting luggage you can move through the final check point where you have to hand over your Departure card and move through the arrivals exit where you can get Limos, taxis or see the person who has come to pick you up.

Transport: Taxis are pretty costly affair here so public transport like buses and street cars should be given preference wherever possible. Also its best to get pass than paying on regular basis as the costs my come down by a good margin because of this.

People: So far people I have met here are soft spoken and helpful. Yet you will very often see the younger generation being a lil snob when compared to past 30s who would greet you even when they don't know you and are just passing by you. Don't trust anybody or everybody you meet.

Never feel shy of asking questions if you don't know something even to strangers. People here are nice and patient enough to answer your questions.

Climate:
Climate here would be a little harsh for people who have not seen temperatures below 0 degrees yet if you are covered and have protected yourself with proper clothing, it can't harm you as most of the public places and transport are centrally heated so only part you need to take care of is while you are outside.

Thats about it as of now. If anybody wants to know anything else apart from what I have mentioned or wants me to elaborate some mentioned point you can always post here or PM me.
Hi,

+1

May not be very harsh, at least for me, it's already -3 C in my town :)

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
Yes it shouldn't be. Yet the only issue would be the chilly winds that makes us feel temperature to be much below the actually one.

account77

Star Member
Oct 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrates Royal! Are you in Toronto? and May i know name of your course and College :)

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
account77 said:
Congrates Royal! Are you in Toronto? and May i know name of your course and College :)
Hi, yes I am already here. I will be studying HRM at Humber.

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
Welcome aboard , royal !
Do you suggest any good mobile deals to call international ? I havent got one yet so was looking for some suggestions.

In btwn, have you got the plug converters for your electronics from India/elsewhere ?

and which place in Toronto do you recommend to buy clothes - maybe the sales are still open ?

Thankyou in advance.

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
canadahelp7 said:
Welcome aboard , royal !
Do you suggest any good mobile deals to call international ? I havent got one yet so was looking for some suggestions.

In btwn, have you got the plug converters for your electronics from India/elsewhere ?

and which place in Toronto do you recommend to buy clothes - maybe the sales are still open ?

Thankyou in advance.
Get Public Mobile, it offers unlimited calls to India for $15. I am using it since a day now and have not faced any problem so far.

No, I did not buy/bring any electronics from India except for Macbook pro for which I already have a NA type plug.

For cloths I haven't explored much yet, I have only visited one mall yet and thats sherway gardens which actually is a pretty big mall with almost all good brands in it. And yes the sale is still one but only till tomorrow ie 31st.

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
Baloo said:
There WILL BE another sale in January :)
That will be great, but what will be the occasion?

jeff.sharma75

Star Member
Dec 4, 2011
guys if u want unlimitesd caling to india...check out WIND mobile which is prettuy cheap and with a $20 addon to ur plan u will get unlimited india calling..its pretty good

royalsting

Sep 14, 2011
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Pending
IELTS Request
8 Bands
Interview........
Nope!
jeff.sharma75 said:
guys if u want unlimitesd caling to india...check out WIND mobile which is prettuy cheap and with a $20 addon to ur plan u will get unlimited india calling..its pretty good
I was planning to get that as well but they only offer the service for India that too for $20 whereas that same service is offered for $15 by Public Mobile and it offers this service to a list of countries including middle east and some Asian countries. Only issue is its a CDMA company and one will have to purchase their handset.

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
royalsting said:
Get Public Mobile, it offers unlimited calls to India for $15. I am using it since a day now and have not faced any problem so far.

No, I did not buy/bring any electronics from India except for Macbook pro for which I already have a NA type plug.

For cloths I haven't explored much yet, I have only visited one mall yet and thats sherway gardens which actually is a pretty big mall with almost all good brands in it. And yes the sale is still one but only till tomorrow ie 31st.
Thanks Royal.
Did you get a prepaid connection ? Is the $15 inclusive of unlimited incoming calls ? How about texts and call display ?
There was one I was offered , chatr for $25 only to receive and make calls - pretty expensive when compared to the former.

canadahelp7

Sep 3, 2011
jeff.sharma75 said:
Jeff,

Did you find the network reception to be good? as I am hearing that its coverage is not good as advertised - any comments will be helpful