+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Passport Application - Question

fedex682

Star Member
Mar 22, 2011
Hi,

I had a quick question on the application process for a Canadian Passport.

I see one of the requirements is "any valid Canadian travel document issued in your name"
What would be an example of such a document? We would no longer have the Canadian PR card with us. The country I am from does not support dual citizenship so I will be letting go of my other Passport. So the Canadian Visas I have received would not suffice right?

Could we use COPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence document?

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
fedex682 said:
Hi,

I had a quick question on the application process for a Canadian Passport.

I see one of the requirements is "any valid Canadian travel document issued in your name"
What would be an example of such a document? We would no longer have the Canadian PR card with us. The country I am from does not support dual citizenship so I will be letting go of my other Passport. So the Canadian Visas I have received would not suffice right?

Could we use COPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence document?
Pr card & copr isn't a travel document and so you don't need it in passport application

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
You need one piece of valid Photo ID which is issued by federal or provincial government one such ID is provincial driver licence. You can also use your country of origin passport as ID before surrendering it.

fedex682

Star Member
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks! I intend to take my Driver's license, Health Card, PR card, COPR and My current passport (before I surrender it)

That said I still do not understand why they mention "any valid Canadian travel document issued in your name" as a mandatory requirement for passport application

SFD

Feb 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fedex682 said:
Thanks! I intend to take my Driver's license, Health Card, PR card, COPR and My current passport (before I surrender it)

That said I still do not understand why they mention "any valid Canadian travel document issued in your name" as a mandatory requirement for passport application
Fedex,

It is quite simple:

- Driver License/Id/ or Health Card
- Citizenship Certificate
- Photos
- Application (completed)
- $

That is all you need. Anything else, it is not necessary.

SFD

fedex682

Star Member
Mar 22, 2011
SFD said:
Fedex,

It is quite simple:

- Driver License/Id/ or Health Card
- Citizenship Certificate
- Photos
- Application (completed)
- $

That is all you need. Anything else, it is not necessary.

SFD
Thanks, SFD!

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Valid Canadian Travel document is issued to convention refugees, protected persons, stateless persons and PR holders who can not get passport of their home country for valid reason. This does not apply to you so follow SFD simple steps.

Reactions: qorax

dwonda

Oct 8, 2018
I have the same question, per the Canada passport guidelines...
I am a Canadian Citizen, living in the US. So in the same order above I plan for my documents to be...

- Birth Certificate
- US Passport
- Unknown

How can Canada expect me to have a valid Canadian travel document, if I'm not living in Canada? Even though these are the same requirements listed under "Applying from the United States".

homecanada

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013

It is because it is same form for renewal as well.

Janjoun

Sep 14, 2018
Any valid travel document is any document that can still be used for travel and that includes any valid Canadian passport you might have. Of course as a newly naturalized Canadian, you don't have one.
This can also includes other travel documents such as issued for refugees etc....