+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Move Discussion (2014 FSW - People in USA on H1B)

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
Diplomatru said:
No, but I've been to the US three times. The only advantage of Canada over USA that I know of is security. Crime rate is almost non-existant. In everything else US knocks-down Canada.
I 100% agree with sk13 on the reasons for wanting to move to Canada. To me, the only advantage of the US over Canada is US's bigger economy. Other than that, Canada is wayy better. I will move to Canada even if US hands me down a greencard in a silver platter.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
sk13 said:
e) Schooling in US for your kids depends on your income basically the neighborhood you live in and the school they attend. Canada is different in this case, all public schools get same standard and education irrespective of school location.
I like the spirit of your message, but your point regarding schools is absolutely not true. While all schools in a province do follow the same curriculum, the quality of education varies greatly. Unfortunately, the quality of education received depends largely on the area you reside in, as that will determine the funding available to the schools, the number of students in a class, the demographic background of those students, etc. In certain parts of Toronto, for example, schools are overloaded and kids are forced to sit in temporary makeshift classrooms. In other high immigrant areas, the majority of students come from non-english speaking households and as a result, struggle with the curriculum which then hinders the progress of their classmates.

It's a shame and I hope it does get resolved soon.

sk13

Star Member
Jul 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Doc's Request.
08-05-2014
Nomination.....
13-08-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
17-10-2014
Med's Done....
20-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
: 12-01-2015, <br>Passports Sent: 15-Jan-2015, <br>Passport Recved: 16-Jan-2015<br>Shipping: Xpresspost USA
VISA ISSUED...
Tracker Activated: 03-Feb-2015, <br>Passports got Back: 06-Feb-2015
e) Schooling in US for your kids depends on your income basically the neighborhood you live in and the school they attend. Canada is different in this case, all public schools get same standard and education irrespective of school location.

torontosm said:
I like the spirit of your message, but your point regarding schools is absolutely not true. While all schools in a province do follow the same curriculum, the quality of education varies greatly. Unfortunately, the quality of education received depends largely on the area you reside in, as that will determine the funding available to the schools, the number of students in a class, the demographic background of those students, etc. In certain parts of Toronto, for example, schools are overloaded and kids are forced to sit in temporary makeshift classrooms. In other high immigrant areas, the majority of students come from non-english speaking households and as a result, struggle with the curriculum which then hinders the progress of their classmates.

Thanks for your input, and I appreciate it. Your view depicts the real scenarios. Do you live in Canada now? if so, please could you shed some light on migration to Canada? Thanks!

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
sk13 said:

Thanks for your input, and I appreciate it. Your view depicts the real scenarios. Do you live in Canada now? if so, please could you shed some light on migration to Canada? Thanks!
I do live in Toronto and would be pleased to provide whatever information that I can.

managersonline

Champion Member
Oct 18, 2014
torontosm said:

Thanks alot for this information about education quality in Canada. I was also worried about it because some of the schools do not follow english medium in our countries and then when they will get admission in Canadian schools how they will be able to manager where everything will be in english.

minnesotamrk

Star Member
Apr 28, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Med's Done....
19-12-2014
Passport Req..
07-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-01-2015
Thanks SK for starting this topic. I have been living in the US for over 10 years now, 8 of which are on my H-1B work visa. I'm one of the millions of people waiting in line for GC. My wife is on H4 and she absolutely hates the fact that she cannot work. In the last 4 years she received 6 job offers but was very "unlucky" in making it in the H-1B lottery.

We almost decided on going back to our home country last year because my wife can have great career and with my education and experience I would do well too. That's when I came across the Canadian FSW 2014 program and my wife's profession was one of the NOC professions. We applied for the PR towards the end of June and within 6 months received out PR visa. It was such a smooth and efficient immigration process. We have never set foot in Canada but still could apply for permanent residence and get it approved within 6 months.

In June last year, the US immigration finally realized that the restrictions on H4 visa are not keeping up with the current immigration issues. There was a proposed rule by the congress to provide work authorization to H4 visa holders whose H-1B spouses have completed the I-140 stage of GC. The rule has not yet been finalized but with the recent news reports it looks like it will be very soon. This is such a big relief to families like mine. It's not always about the salary, it is about the goals and aspirations of each individual (irrespective of gender).

Now, the dilemma is what to do with the Canadian PR. It definitely sounds promising that there will not be a need for work visas, visa appointments and paperwork every single time we leave/enter the US. Canada PR also definitely acts a dependable back up option in certain unforeseen employment events in the US. We are glad that at least we have a couple of years to make the decision of whether to move to Canada or stay back in the US.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
managersonline said:
Thanks alot for this information about education quality in Canada. I was also worried about it because some of the schools do not follow english medium in our countries and then when they will get admission in Canadian schools how they will be able to manager where everything will be in english.
Depending on the age of your kids, it can be struggle to cope with the switch to an English (or French) medium school. That said, teachers can be patient with such kids and spend more time bringing them up to speed. There are also free English as a Second Language classes offered throughout community centers, and private tuition is available at a cost.

In my experience, kids are quick to adjust and pick up new languages much faster than adults. Within a year or two, I'm sure they will be fluent in English and well settled.

jisho

Star Member
Jan 5, 2015
Very well put up and you almost spoke my mind. Believe me or not, but I am in a identical situation.
Regarding Canada PR, I know I have a year to a land after I get the PR card and then in next 5 years I have to be in Canada for total of around 2 or 3 years. So I have time to think and take the approach that works the best for me and my family.

My US GC is in process and my wife does not have a job because she does not have a H1. Lets see if she gets lucky in the lottery this time.

Just one thought.....many times we close our eyes and force ourselves to believe things, only to discover, especially when it is too late, that all our hopes, aspirations were false, unsubstantiated and were mere illusions. I am not against Canada or US. I just want to take the most informed decision. Therefore, I request everybody to substantiate whatever they think are the pros and cons and not just write vague statements like "I wont take US GC even if handed on a silver platter". We are here to find the whys and the hows, so please defend your thoughts.

For me and for all of us in the US, we have to remember that it will be very difficult for us to come back to the US again so every step that we take has to be perfect and calculated. There is proverb that says "when you have teeth, you don't understand the value of teeth. Only when it is gone that you understand the value of teeth."

minnesotamrk said:
Thanks SK for starting this topic. I have been living in the US for over 10 years now, 8 of which are on my H-1B work visa. I'm one of the millions of people waiting in line for GC. My wife is on H4 and she absolutely hates the fact that she cannot work. In the last 4 years she received 6 job offers but was very "unlucky" in making it in the H-1B lottery.

We almost decided on going back to our home country last year because my wife can have great career and with my education and experience I would do well too. That's when I came across the Canadian FSW 2014 program and my wife's profession was one of the NOC professions. We applied for the PR towards the end of June and within 6 months received out PR visa. It was such a smooth and efficient immigration process. We have never set foot in Canada but still could apply for permanent residence and get it approved within 6 months.

In June last year, the US immigration finally realized that the restrictions on H4 visa are not keeping up with the current immigration issues. There was a proposed rule by the congress to provide work authorization to H4 visa holders whose H-1B spouses have completed the I-140 stage of GC. The rule has not yet been finalized but with the recent news reports it looks like it will be very soon. This is such a big relief to families like mine. It's not always about the salary, it is about the goals and aspirations of each individual (irrespective of gender).

Now, the dilemma is what to do with the Canadian PR. It definitely sounds promising that there will not be a need for work visas, visa appointments and paperwork every single time we leave/enter the US. Canada PR also definitely acts a dependable back up option in certain unforeseen employment events in the US. We are glad that at least we have a couple of years to make the decision of whether to move to Canada or stay back in the US.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jisho said:
Very well put up and you almost spoke my mind. Believe me or not, but I am in a identical situation.
Regarding Canada PR, I know I have a year to a land after I get the PR card and then in next 5 years I have to be in Canada for total of around 2 or 3 years. So I have time to think and take the approach that works the best for me and my family.

My US GC is in process and my wife does not have a job because she does not have a H1. Lets see if she gets lucky in the lottery this time.

Just one thought.....many times we close our eyes and force ourselves to believe things, only to discover, especially when it is too late, that all our hopes, aspirations were false, unsubstantiated and were mere illusions. I am not against Canada or US. I just want to take the most informed decision. Therefore, I request everybody to substantiate whatever they think are the pros and cons and not just write vague statements like "I wont take US GC even if handed on a silver platter". We are here to find the whys and the hows, so please defend your thoughts.

For me and for all of us in the US, we have to remember that it will be very difficult for us to come back to the US again so every step that we take has to be perfect and calculated. There is proverb that says "when you have teeth, you don't understand the value of teeth. Only when it is gone that you understand the value of teeth."
Here goes your first +1

sk13

Star Member
Jul 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Doc's Request.
08-05-2014
Nomination.....
13-08-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
17-10-2014
Med's Done....
20-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
: 12-01-2015, <br>Passports Sent: 15-Jan-2015, <br>Passport Recved: 16-Jan-2015<br>Shipping: Xpresspost USA
VISA ISSUED...
jisho said:

Well said buddy! Thanks for sharing views. I spoke to couple of people today who moved from US to CAN under last year PR (accidentally found their info at work from same client). I will compile and post them soon. They all left very long term and secured projects in US and moved to CAN.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
jisho said:

namaste said:
I 100% agree with sk13 on the reasons for wanting to move to Canada. To me, the only advantage of the US over Canada is US's bigger economy. Other than that, Canada is wayy better. I will move to Canada even if US hands me down a greencard in a silver platter.
I didn't feel like I should repeat all the reasons since I essentially said the reasons for me personally to want to move to Canada from the US are the same as those of sk13.

sk13

Star Member
Jul 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Doc's Request.
08-05-2014
Nomination.....
13-08-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
17-10-2014
Med's Done....
20-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Hello Friends,

Last week I shared my PR news with my colleagues at work in USA, and to my surprise, I came to know that three people left my client last year in pursuit of Canada dream. They were in this project for 3 years, and in US for 6 to 8 years before moving to Canada.

I found their contact and spoke to them. Here are their experiences. I hope this will help someone, and I will try my level best to put their experience without any bias or my view. Please consume and use the information responsibly.

All three people are senior java developers with 10+ years' of experience. They have been working in us for past 6 to 8 years. Two people I-140 was approved, and waiting for priority date to be current, and other person moved because of 6 year limitation and his PERM was not applied by that time.

If they wanted to continue with current client, they would have settled here itself because of the job security. Two people are doing job in US and staying Canada, and other person completely relocated to Canada.

Their Experience:

Moving to Canada (Background and Views):

With good technical background, they didn't have any trouble getting job. They all got jobs in CANADA within 3 days, in fact two people applied form US and did the interview from here itself. The problem was not with the job. The problem was with car, school and adjusting to new customs and culture. But the time will pass very quickly, and by no time you will get accustomed to Canada. If you are already in US for more than 2 years, then it is a peace of cake.

Two of them decided to do the job in Detroit and commute from Windsor. They are doing it now. It takes 30 to 35 minutes to commute on normal days, and 1 hour on busy days to cross the border. They have applied for nexus card, and they don't have any problem with commute.

The person who settled in Toronto is a bachelor, and having time of his life. I really felt his happiness of freedom in his voice. He sold off everything in US and bought everything in Canada. Period.

After little bit initial struggle, all are settled now, and enjoying their PR status without any problem.

Their Views, Suggestions and Mistakes to avoid:

1) The main problem was with moving CAR from US to Canada. Canada MVA department is totally different. For car registration, you need all the details, such as car manufacturing location, and initial import location, and where car was purchased all those details. Get them from your Dealer before moving. Basically you need all your car history.

2) Car Insurance is a big deal in Canada because they want to avoid any problems with liability, so without any prior insurance, you will end up paying huge in the beginning. As your insurance years accumulate, so does your insurance levels go down. To avoid this issue, take a proof from your current insurance that you have at least insurance for 3 YEARS. This last 3 years proof will save at least 50% premium.

3) Schools are good, but their kids could not make to same class as they were in US. After taking the standard knowledge test, they have been admitted to one class lower. So this point proofs that US schools give high grades for their compensation (at least their schools, there are lots of websites with this information). Don't forget to take your kids immunization, school, sports and extract achievements proofs from the current school.

4) Two of them are in Windsor, and the rent for 2B/2B apartment is 500$ and 600$ for full furnished home. They are working in Detroit so they get US salaries, and pay US tax, and include these details while paying Canada Tax.

5) To count the days towards the PR, you have to be present in Canada every day, there is no rule of exact hours. As long as you present in Canada every day, that should be ok. So purchasing something ($1) item every day in Canada by person using your debit or credit card should suffices for that purpose.

6) The main difference is in population density. Apart from major metro cities like Toronto, Vancouver most of the towns like Windsor have pretty less people. Once you are out of main city the roads are deserted. There will be no body on either side of the road for miles, but the beautiful nature. It is just like Texas but with trees. Everything is huge.

7) As most of the people have already read over the internet, this is a very safe country. Very Safe. As most of the Indians stay in metro cities in US, they know the kind of dangers and kind of neighborhood to avoid. You don't have that problem in Canada. People are friendly, in fact If you are in H1 you know the difference people show to you in US, they won't be explicit, but you will understand by their actions and looks. This won't happen in Canada, it is straight forward, and more multicultural.

8) Yes, jobs are scarce, but not all type of jobs. As you know neither Canada is a world no one economy nor it has any problem keeping it spot. Canada cares about its people. Remember this point always when you are in Canada. Because their tax, health and education systems are tied together. Everyone pays high taxes so that you all can live a safe live as collective society.

9) Neither US nor anybody in US care about you if something happens to you. But Canada is different. It will take care of your healthcare, and also your children education, and what's more, from Day 1 with PR, you are eligible for retirement benefits from government. So your old and retirement age is pretty much secured with healthcare, and retirement pension (do research, you will be amazed with retirement benefits you get in Canada). This is one of the main reasons motivated these people to change the jobs (even though they were very secured and long term).

10) If you get Canada citizenship and US green card, you can work in US and when you retire, irrespective of your location, you will get the Canada retirement pension. So assume, you got both Canada and US citizenship, then in old age, you will get two incomes. How many people really get it? You deserve it, because you have put thought, energy, time and money to get a PR and Canada citizenship, so don't lose it.

11) Start looking for a job as soon as you get the PPR request. You can do it online using the job sites. Submit your resume, and also plan for an interview when you do the landing process. (Disclaimer: I already did an interview like this, so I can tell you that it works)

12) Weather is not a problem as long as you are not moving from southern or western states of US. If you have already been living close to border or in states above Atlanta, then it won't be a problem. Did you think about weather in New York, Boston or New Hampshire when you initially planned to move to US? You didn't you were ready to work anywhere in US. Talk to people who are working in north east states about weather, it won't be much different in Canada either. I think you got the point.

13) One more drastic paradigm change is in the people attitudes. In US, you see a rush kind of attitude towards work. In Canada, the view is towards more life and work balance, and with bias towards more comfortable life. It takes some time to adjust for that culture. This philosophy is reflected in their every policy, and rule from healthcare to school education. Everyone matters.

14) After their 1 year stay in Canada, their bottom line view is, Don't compare US and Canada. They are different apart from common traffic rules, and share a border. People want Canada citizenship for easy entry and exit to both US and Canada. You can earn more money in US at the cost of lots of things. Basically you run behind a mirage in US, and in Canada you relax and enjoy the mirage view sitting in your balcony. But eventually you have to settle in one location, so give preference to your dreams, aspirations and motivations.

I will be adding more and more points as my research finds out more info ... Please you also share your views and thoughts so that we all could make a collective good decision.

Note 1: I wanted to add these points to my main post, but this forum could not let me edit that post, so if this post is not editable after two days, then I will post remaining information as separate post. Thank you guys!

Note 2: There are lots of people on this forum who are working in Canada or settled down. So I encourage and appreciate you people sharing and correcting these points and feel free to share more info. Thank you!

Reactions: swan0206

sk13

Star Member
Jul 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Doc's Request.
08-05-2014
Nomination.....
13-08-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
17-10-2014
Med's Done....
20-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Any more addition guys?

anusud

Apr 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/06/2014
Med's Request
20/11/2014
Med's Done....
12/12/2014
VISA ISSUED...
02/28/2015
sk13 said:
Any more addition guys?
Thanks sk13 & friends , for ur detailed post and sharing their experiences. If I wanna have the option of working in the US then I guess its better for me to wait until I get I-140 approved which could take another yr or so, am more confused now ;)