+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Landing Experience and Return to USA using AVR Rule on JAN-2013

DallasToronto

Feb 21, 2013
Landed to Canada through Detroit tunnel to complete my canadian PR formalities.

I made sure all the documentation is in place. Followed Qorax checklist. The staff was very friendly and allow you to ask any questions and they are very patient to answer your questions.

Documents carried:
1. CoPR forms
2. Passports
3. Goods to Follow forms (2 copies were created one to explain the good carrying now and other for goods to follow). Created one spreadsheet detailing what are the items and attached to the forms. Follow Qorax checklist here. She asked for photographs of Jewellery. I told her that I don't have them. She asked whether I evaluated them. I said NO. She said, it's fine as I have mentioned clearly in the spreadsheet printout on what jewellery that we have.
4. Proof of funds (Carried a cashier check of 17k and other amounts are shown as bank statements). They are fine with statements. If you carry cashier check no questions asked.
5. Photographs (will not be used if the photos are already on your CoPR forms)

That's it.. She took time to complete the process and gave me landing record and copy of goods to follow with stamp on it.

If you want to buy car in US, buy it before you complete landing formalities. Once you complee, you need to pay import taxes. New cars in Canada are 15-20k costlier compared to US. I don't have complete information on how loans should be taken care when you are moving car from US to Canada.

Service Canada office is about 1/2 mile from there. Take coins exchange opposite to immigration office to park the car at Service Canada. Applying SIN is about 20 mins process. People are very friendly.

Stayed in Toronto for 3 days and returned to US by road. Used Detroit Tunnel again.

Before going to Security booth at border, consolidated my documents to make sure no questions asked

1. Old Passport inside new Passport. Old passport has my L1 visa which got expired. Folded my I-797 which has latest I94 and kept in the passport.
2. My wife's passport with her I-797 which has latest I94
3. My Kid's US passport.

I handover the passports with the I-797s in the drive-thru security booth.
He asked when is my flight to Dallas. I told him 6 pm. He said plenty of time.
He wanted to see my daughter. I opened my back seat window.
Where did you go? Toronto, my brother is there
When did you go? 4 days back

He asked whether I am still on L1 status. I told him that I am on H1. I asked him to take a look at petition folded in the passport.

He asked questions like what do you do..asked my wife also same question.

In the meantime, I asked him whether I can close back seat window as my kid is feeling cold. He said sorry and asked me to close.

He handover the passports and said have a safe trip. I didn't have to get down from my car.

I didn't have to mention about AVR. But, provided him with sufficient information to cross check my status.

Wish you good luck folks.. Have a Safe trip.. Hope to meet you guys in Toronto shortly.

sk13

Star Member
Jul 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Doc's Request.
08-05-2014
Nomination.....
13-08-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
17-10-2014
Med's Done....
20-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
: 12-01-2015, <br>Passports Sent: 15-Jan-2015, <br>Passport Recved: 16-Jan-2015<br>Shipping: Xpresspost USA
VISA ISSUED...
Tracker Activated: 03-Feb-2015, <br>Passports got Back: 06-Feb-2015
Thanks a lot for sharing your detailed experience. I am also in same situation and carrying 18K in cashier checks. I hope it won't create any problem while coming back.

And also I am planning to use AVR. So did you move to Canada eventually? or decided to stay back in USA? Thanks!

DallasToronto

Feb 21, 2013
Yes. I moved to Toronto. There will not be any issue with AVR. Just make sure that you don't stay more than 30 days and you should not go for US stamping. It will be fine. There are pros and cons with Canada. If you are into IT market is small compared to US. You can also consider Vancouver for beautiful weather compared to Toronto. You miss something and gain something when you are moving from US to Canada. Best of luck