+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada India Tensions

RohanKumar007

Star Member
Apr 16, 2021
USA has banned entire countries from immigrating to them. You should talk to Iranian folks and their experiences, it isn't nice. They are not a model country to look at when it comes to immigration when it comes to the humanity. US does very well with bringing in talent, so does Singapore too, neither are a "great model" or loved by immigrants for it. They are not welcoming tbh.
Not sure of Iranian experience. That wait is there in Canada too for security roles. I recently got top security clearance for a new job even though I hadn't spent 10 years in Canada. It took me 4 months, but company told for Iranian national who have not spent 10 years in Canada, sometimes it takes upto a year or even rejected. That's why they were very reluctant to go ahead with me initially, but in their terms they couldn't find any person in Canada with this experience.
Iranians in US: I did my master's in US -Electromagnetics and Antenna design. That course was full of Iranian and Chinese students and even my master's thesis advisor was a professor from Iran. For Iranians, the issue is they are only given single entry visa and they have to get new visa stamp every time. If they do any internship or job, they have to go through a security clearance even if it's a regular internship or non controlled job. It's same for Chinese students.
The only thing my professor complained was getting parents visa was pain as it was always a single entry visa. So he applied for green card for his parents, which they eventually got.
Not taking US side, the only reason I ended up in US was I was from a lower middle class family in India my parent's didn't had funds to pay for my education in US/Canada/UK. I was doing internship in Ericsson Sweden on academic project, in collaboration with US project. And professor ("the Iranian I mentioned") I was working me offered full assistantship (100 % tuition scholarship+ monthly stipend) if I apply to his university with him as advisor. Otherwise, I too had a negative perception about US being bigoted country.

Last edited:
Reactions: anandsin

RohanKumar007

Star Member
Apr 16, 2021
It's disheartening to see that individuals are returning to the United States after residing in Canada for several years . I hope that the circumstances improve in the years to come, allowing Canada to retain its valuable talent.

I concur that the USA's policy of welcoming immigrants from all corners of the world, regardless of their countries' relationships, is noteworthy. Personally, I currently have no intentions of relocating back to the USA. However, I believe my decision may evolve over time, as it's based on my lack of firsthand experience living in Canada. The passage of time and changing conditions will ultimately determine my path. Overall, the comments in this discussion have reassured me that many people share similar thoughts when considering the PR card process and the prospect of moving to Canada, even amidst diplomatic challenges between Canada and India.
Yes, for me I would anyway not end up going to the US. I left US, went to India to be closer to my parents. But couldn't adjust well and decided to come to Canada, thinking I would pick the passport for future. Although for me the job market is very poor. I design antenna for Radar and wireless systems, for me opportunities were limited in US (due to sensitivity of work) but very few in Canada.

Till now I was working on some approximate roles, but one company in Canada approached me few months back. I was able to get top security clearance, but for me Canada has less opportunities to offer. So eventually maybe India was better, as things were bad there but at least family was nearby and thanks to booming 4G/5G and advance beamforming, multiple research jobs for antenna design.

anandsin

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
Great job, @RohanKumar007! I hope you achieve your aspirations.

Having spent 7 years in the USA and experienced its work environment, I think I will find it challenging to adapt to the work culture in India after working there for 2 years, where I disliked my job. I am optimistic about finding a similar work culture in Canada, particularly in the Civil Industry which i belong to. And I am pretty optimistic of the industry considering ever growing Canadian population nd requirement of more infrastructure.. It will be interesting to observe how things unfold. My ultimate goal is to establish my own company in the civil industry, a venture that appears more feasible in Canada compared to India. Having witnessed the dynamics of the market and business operations in the USA, I am anticipating similar dynamics in Canada. I look forward to exploring how this would work out in Canada once I relocate there.